997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help! How to re-align steering wheel when installing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:34 AM
ellistai is infamous around these parts
Help! How to re-align steering wheel when installing?

I was swapping my steering wheel the other day. I removed it without difficulty. But before I put in my another steering wheel, I somehow disturbed the clock/shalf and the alignment was off a little bit. Now my steering wheel is a little off center so I want to re-install it again. But now the question is, how I can re-align it?

Any hint?

Old 07-25-2009, 01:26 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Just remove the wheel again and rotate on the splined shaft to align it properly. It might be best to ensure the wheels are very straight, then carefully remove the wheel without rotating the shaft, and then place the wheel on straight. I've always drive-tested it before putting everything back together again just to be sure it is right. Once right, I tighten everything up and snap the airbag module back into place.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Without airbag module in place, you can start up the car and drive??

It is because when I try to loosen the center bolt, it is always easy to rotate the wheel and lock it. So it won't be at absolute center/straight when removing. Any tip you could keep it straight when trying to remove the bolt?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I connect the air bag module, but don't totally seat it into place, as I find it a pain to remove it again if an adjustment to the wheel angle is needed. It is a little awkward supporting the airbag termporarily, but you only need to drive a very short distance on a straight road or driveway to test the alignment of the steering wheel. Of course, each time I remove the bag to adjust the wheel, I disconnect the battery again, then reconnect after reconnecting the bag module. It just takes patience to adjust until right.

Don't tighten the bolt until you know the wheel is positioned right. That way, it is easier to remove the bolt without having to rotate the wheel to the locked position.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks man!