997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

True Cost of Porsche Ownership?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Ridleyguy is infamous around these parts
True Cost of Porsche Ownership?

Cost discussions in this Forum seem most often to focus on the price paid vs MSRP, or buy vs lease comparisons, etc. But when adding the cost of depreciation, and service (tires, etc.), the discount at purchase seems to leave out a lot; particularly for those who do not use their car as a daily driver.

Assuming roughly $1,000/month depreciation on a C2S, and possibly more on a Turbo based on residual values (others will no doubt have a better estimate of this than me), cost per mile would seem to be a better measure of the true cost of ownership, as it takes into consideration miles driven.

I hope the experts in the Forum will weigh in on this topic. Maybe I am just trying to rationalize the cost of my '08 C4S, which is the most money I have paid for a car.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I rationalized the purchase of my car by checking reliability, relative cost of service, stability of value at my range, and simple driveability as a DD. In the end, you don't rationalize a Porsche. People come up to me and say, "I hear you bought a Porsche". You want a rational purchase, buy a Prius. That is rational. I own a Porsche. I don't need to rationalize it.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
It depends how the car is driven as well as the market for that particular car . For instance a 2500 mile 993 Turbo is over ten years old and would get nearly 100K .

But lets say you buy a standard C2S and drive the usual 12K miles a year . Figure on 12K per year for three years . If it cost 90K new expect approx 90-36= 54K in a normal market . In this current economy it may knock off another few grand but not too much .

One also has to factor in maintenance , insurance and repairs . If the car is on warranty then tires are the big expense .

Add modifications into the mix and everything goes up.

The worst case scenarios -- A lost Porsche in a divorce settlement or a natural disaster like a hurricane or flood and can happen too. If someone ridiculously refinances his house to buy a car it's even more expensinve and he could end up paying 30 years for that car . Even worse if he forecloses and faces bankrupcy .
If he faces a terrible accident in the Porsche and gets sued or even faces legal issues --these are all possible outcomes of owning any car but a Porsche adds some extra cost above a standard boring car .

In short there are so many factors which can contribute to acost of ownership experience that most don't consider all of them . Most just imagine the fun of a cool car .

Conclusion --All one can do is drive the car and hope that the best case scenaro is that it retains its value but also prepare for the worst case which is a total loss or even debt or financial ruin .

Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
yeah, I never want to think about rational reasons to buy a porsche. Cars in general are fiscal bummers and most accountants scoff at the idea of any purchase like this. But, each morning things look brighter when I get to drive it to work and that in itself is priceless. I look forward to each drive, and that is a first time for me with any car! Anyhow, my wife writes the checks for it, so I don't want to think about what it costs per mile or per day or per anything

Old 07-29-2009, 11:47 PM
oregondave is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JohnM
yeah, I never want to think about rational reasons to buy a porsche. Cars in general are fiscal bummers and most accountants scoff at the idea of any purchase like this. But, each morning things look brighter when I get to drive it to work and that in itself is priceless. I look forward to each drive, and that is a first time for me with any car! Anyhow, my wife writes the checks for it, so I don't want to think about what it costs per mile or per day or per anything
I think along the same lines. Spent years in a practical Lexus SUV because it was lower cost per mile and per month. Finally sold that vehicle last weekend and now only drive the 997s. It's far less comfortable, practical, and convenient, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Instead of not thinking twice about my car, I look forward to every drive and I savor every mile. It's also a tangible reward to myself for a decade of hard work at one company (vs a 401K, 529, etc.) that pays daily dividends.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Jetpilot is a jewel in the roughJetpilot is a jewel in the roughJetpilot is a jewel in the roughJetpilot is a jewel in the rough
I am trying to rationalize the purchase of an 07' GT3......trading my non daily driver 997C2 that is worth 10K less + 7K in mods than I paid for it 9 months ago. So be it.

You can rationalize/justify anything if you really want something. It is what makes you happy in the short/long-term. Life is short and you only get one shot, that's my vantage point.

Do what makes you happy and doesn't break you.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
If you're driving your car 10,000 miles a year, your cost is at a minimum of $1.20 per mile on an $80,000 car.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 07-30-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnM
Rational for me as well. Not sure I could "rationalize" it as a garage queen. But every day I look forward to firing her up and going to work and enjoy the release of hopping in her for the ride home!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Often, the actual costs of driving a typical GM car for 3-4 years are higher than you might think when you factor in the depreciation, etc.

Consider that the difference between a "typical" car and the Porsche are entertainment dollars.

You could be spending that money on home theater equipment, boats, airplanes, etc. When you think about it, especially if you regularly drive your car:
- you can enjoy it easily (you don't need to drive to the lake/airport/etc.)
- it requires little time from your day to enjoy (esp. as you can enjoy it while you do the things you'd have to do anyway)
- it opens up social opportunities with club events
- the Porsche is safe (compared to motorcycles, flying, base jumping.....)
- and for most tasks, it's relatively practical (you could drive it cross-country with safety and relative enconomy vs. trying to do that in an antique car or an ultra-exotic that should never get far from the servicing dealer; I often pick up groceries in mine on the way home from work -- no problem).

Given the alternative ways that people entertain themselves, this is relatively safe, practical and is something that others can share with you.

As long as the numbers are ok with your budget, what's not to like?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM
805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ryem3
That is rational. I own a Porsche. I don't need to rationalize it.
I agree.

Just like women that is a 9 or 10, you got to expect higher maintenance cost.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:52 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ridleyguy
Cost discussions in this Forum seem most often to focus on the price paid vs MSRP, or buy vs lease comparisons, etc. But when adding the cost of depreciation, and service (tires, etc.), the discount at purchase seems to leave out a lot; particularly for those who do not use their car as a daily driver.

Assuming roughly $1,000/month depreciation on a C2S, and possibly more on a Turbo based on residual values (others will no doubt have a better estimate of this than me), cost per mile would seem to be a better measure of the true cost of ownership, as it takes into consideration miles driven.

I hope the experts in the Forum will weigh in on this topic. Maybe I am just trying to rationalize the cost of my '08 C4S, which is the most money I have paid for a car.
Rational decision is to compliment your life with luxury you can afford.
High performance sport car is an ultimate luxury item. So regular logic does not apply here. Buy the best you can afford and consider that amount of money a non-recoverable loss.

That is my very rational approach to this topic. If you consider short-term luxury items as an investment - you will have noting but remorse all the way down and will convert into one of those sorry souls who keep their Porches in garages for most of their lives and then sell them to people like me who buy cars to drive them to have fun.

So do not rationalize your luxury and allow yourself to have fun with it.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I spend 0 time rationalizing the price of my car because there is no way you can rationalize buying $ 100 K + automobile I drive on the weekend. Doesn't matter what is costs per mile - per day - per year. I bought it because I wanted it and so did everyone else on any Porsche board on the internet. No way to rationalize a completely irrational purchase and frankly no reason to in my book.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:01 PM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
Coffins don't come with pockets. Enjoy.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
What about true cost of not owning a Porsche? It could be pretty bad.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 PM
JJG
JJG is infamous around these parts
Life without the Porsche - Good Point! I know what that's like, and I do not want to go back. I've wanted a Porsche since I was 14. Every time I saw someone driving a Porsche, I wanted to be that guy behind the wheel. Now I'm that guy. When I look back, I could have bought a Porsche in my earlier years but I went practical. After owning my 1st Porsche, I consider all the practical cars I've bought a waste of money. I can't explain why this car gives me the satisfaction of driving through a windy road or accelerating past other cars or firing it up and listening to the exhaust. I've had the opportunity to drive an R8, ZO6, BMW Z8, Ferrari 360, and 500SL AMG. All are great cars, but not one of them give me the same feeling as the Porsche. Because of that I don't care about the depreciation, cost per mile, tires, brakes, gas, oil, insurance, etc. as long as I can afford it, it's worth every penny.