997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Leather care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 PM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
Leather care

Is Connolly Hide Care a good product to use for your 997 interior? What do you guys use for leather care? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Weebs has much to be proud ofWeebs has much to be proud ofWeebs has much to be proud ofWeebs has much to be proud ofWeebs has much to be proud ofWeebs has much to be proud ofWeebs has much to be proud ofWeebs has much to be proud ofWeebs has much to be proud ofWeebs has much to be proud of
T33,

I've used Connolly and have liked it in the past. I have also had good results with Lexol leather cleaner and leather conditioners.

Mike

Old 07-31-2009, 01:04 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I recommend Zaino's cleaner and conditioner. Love the smell.
CATTMAN

Old 07-31-2009, 01:47 AM
chaud is infamous around these parts
Color-plus Leather "Soffener" is great stuff!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 AM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
Leatherique is by far the best product i've ever used, hands down.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is infamous around these parts
I've used them all I think and Leather Master Products (no affiliation) are simply stunning. I was a Leatherique fan until I tried Leather Master Products. This stuff is wicked good. http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Depa...-Products.aspx

Matt

Old 07-31-2009, 10:57 AM
GTSilver997 is infamous around these parts
I've used many of the higher-end detailer's leather conditioners. I have to say though, the leather conditioner from Porsche is the best. It is not at all greasy and provides a very natural finish. The most important thing is that there's no smell to it - which is good, because it retains the new car leather smell from the factory. I have a full leather Cocoa interior and it was very important for me to protect it and get it right.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by GTSilver997
I've used many of the higher-end detailer's leather conditioners. I have to say though, the leather conditioner from Porsche is the best. It is not at all greasy and provides a very natural finish. The most important thing is that there's no smell to it - which is good, because it retains the new car leather smell from the factory. I have a full leather Cocoa interior and it was very important for me to protect it and get it right.
I tried to get some yesterday and my dealer is no longer carrying it (or no longer available?) - they suggested Lexol. Hmmm...

I have been using some stuff from BMW, but is smells a lot like Lexol - I am sure all these car makers are re-branding some other product, so I wonder what Porsche was selling?

Last edited by stevepow; 07-31-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Do any of these products leave a shiny/glossy finish on the leather? If so, does the shiny/glossy look disapper pretty quickly? Asking because I've seen some products in the past that leaves a lasting shine/gloss that I'm not a fan of as it looks plastic.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by stevepow
I tried to get some yesterday and my dealer is no longer carrying it (or no longer available?) - the suggested Lexol. Hmmm...

I have been using some stuff from BMW, but is smells a lot like Lexol - I am sure all these car makers are re-branding some other product, so I wonder what Porsche was selling?
I just got the Porsche conditioner from Suncoast a couple of weeks ago. I had a similar experience with my dealer's parts department...I just assumed that they were out of stock. Who knows, Porsche could have stopped making it.

As for re-branding, I'm sure Porsche does not make their own detail products. I THINK it's really Sonus...but not sure...

Old 07-31-2009, 11:40 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Suncoast - I may give that a shot then just to try it out and compare to Sonus.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:46 PM
01yelrt is infamous around these parts
Hide food

Originally Posted by JoeShark
Do any of these products leave a shiny/glossy finish on the leather? If so, does the shiny/glossy look disapper pretty quickly? Asking because I've seen some products in the past that leaves a lasting shine/gloss that I'm not a fan of as it looks plastic.
The Connely sp? Hide food is really good for restoring the oils and natural live feel to the leather. When it is first applied it does make a bit of shine, but that vanishes over time (1 week or so) then the leather feels very soft and smooth with a natural flat look to it. The Hide food is also the biggest pain in the bum to apply and wipe off as it really does moisturize the leather. Plan on spending a lot of time rubbing this product in then wiping down, and then a couple of days later buffing it down again to get a nice even finish without any shiny blotches. After 1 week or so this feels an looks great! Just don't put it on the day before a concour or you'll be rubbing your arm off trying to get the finish even in time. Lexol is a lot less work, but I don't think it makes the leather feel as moist and supple in the long term. Just like most stuff the hard way is better overall.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by 01yelrt
The Connely sp? Hide food is really good for restoring the oils and natural live feel to the leather. When it is first applied it does make a bit of shine, but that vanishes over time (1 week or so) then the leather feels very soft and smooth with a natural flat look to it. The Hide food is also the biggest pain in the bum to apply and wipe off as it really does moisturize the leather. Plan on spending a lot of time rubbing this product in then wiping down, and then a couple of days later buffing it down again to get a nice even finish without any shiny blotches. After 1 week or so this feels an looks great! Just don't put it on the day before a concour or you'll be rubbing your arm off trying to get the finish even in time. Lexol is a lot less work, but I don't think it makes the leather feel as moist and supple in the long term. Just like most stuff the hard way is better overall.
I've never used Hide Food and have heard that it's an excellent product. However, from my research this product is really intended for much older type, non-treated or non-coated leather you'd find in a classic. Our leather interiors are coated and using these types of producs could strip the coating. This is one of the few areas that I'd use what Porsche recommends.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GTSilver997
I've never used Hide Food and have heard that it's an excellent product. However, from my research this product is really intended for much older type, non-treated or non-coated leather you'd find in a classic. Our leather interiors are coated and using these types of producs could strip the coating. This is one of the few areas that I'd use what Porsche recommends.
Speak for yourself. My leather is not coated. It's natural brown which is not coated like 85% of the other colors out there. I use the Connolly Hide Food on it routinely and it works well.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:03 PM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone for all your input. I've been following this board for years and you guys are all great. And awesome cars by the way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leather care