997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bumper plug for tow hook, how to remove?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Jay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to behold
Bumper plug for tow hook, how to remove?

Hey guys, I need some help! I'm planning to order a front license plate holder that mounts into the front tow hook threading. It would be nice to keep in the trunk if I get stopped or if I need it for a "fix it" ticket. I have been trying to remove the bumper plug with absolutely no luck! The manual says to push on the bottom of it to dislodge it. I tried that, it doesn't seem to do much? I tried using a safely pin, tweezers and anything else super thin to wedge in the tiny space to get this plug loose. I'm trying to prevent scratching the area, so I'm being quite gentle during this process.

Can anybody help me out with this? Any tricks to removing this plug?

I appreciate the help guys, thanks in advance!

Jay Jones

Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Harvey in MD is infamous around these parts
According to the manual, page 322, "Press the lower edge of the plastic cover into the bumper until the cover disengages".

Good luck

Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Cover the end of a screw driver with masking tape, duck tape works well also, and pry the plug out from the drivers side of the plug. Works great no scratches. . If you're going to tinker these will allow you to remove numerous panels without scratching anything. On my '07 Porsche has added a feature so that you don't lose the plug in the way of a plastic tether, like on the gas cap only this one is made of the same plastic the as the cap, making it a a little bit of a challenge to put back. Start by replacing the bottom of the plug first then the side with plastic tether then the top. Older style plugs didn't have the safety tether to deal with. For the future get a set of the plastic body panel removal tools. Most parts places have 'em. Got mine at Griotts for $ 20.