997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bmw M5 VS Merc E63 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:16 PM
ezeks is infamous around these parts
I am going to second the motion for the E55 (these are dirt cheap right now also). If you are looking at an 05 M5 why not compare it to that year AMG car. The 55's are super easy to mod and make fast and in my opinon offer a better all around ride than the M5. The M5 is definitely an edgier car with superior handling but it depends on what you are looking for. I was going to get an E55 a couple years ago but it was just too big for my needs (2dr coupe) so I bought a clk55 instead.

BMW M cars are very very nice and I am probably going to swap out my clk for an M6 next year since I don't like the new E coupe at all. Drive them both and see what you like the best though

Old 08-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mazatlan
How can you ask this question without even having driven an M5?

Go drive it, you'll love it, it's one of the greatest cars on the road today. Practical, luxurious, comfortable, roomy, and absurdly fast and handles like it's on rails.
....and gets 10 mpg, w!th a sh!tty SMG transmission and Idrive that a f'ing rocket scientist can't operate.

Having said that, the car is fast and luxurious at the same time. It really is a nice car. The SMG tranny is different than anything you have driven. I think its a love it or hate it sort of thing. The gas mileage is abysmal 10-12 mpg. I hated the Idrive --- too damn complicated to operate when you should be driving the vehicle.

I only had mine for three months and then sold it for a 997S. You really have to resign to the fact that you are driving a much bigger, heavier car that will not provide the feedback that your 911 does. Neither the M5 or E63 are "driver's cars" IMO.....not that they have to be...just prepare yourself. AT the end of the day, I thought I wanted a 4DR performance sedan....I found out rather quickly that I really didn't.

If you don't mind the gas mileage and you like the SMG and IDrive then it very well may be the best sedan on the planet.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:41 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
If you do a lot of city driving, then E63 will be more comfortable and snappier. M5 is a little awkward in stop-and-go and CAN be jerky in auto mode.

It's perfect if you let it stretch its legs at higher speeds. This car begs to be driven hard and fast.

Every time I drive it in the city, it reminds me of a dog. It tries to run ahead of you but it can't because of the leash.

Last edited by AlexM; 08-03-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lyn997s
the porsche is my daily drive car and since i live in san francisco, it has been extremely annoying to drive the car around the city because of the harsh roads.. =(

If i have a choice of course i would keep it. but a sedan which fits more people more comfortably will be a better choice for me. kinda tired of a coupe (since i've been driving it for about 3-4years now) and definitely wants a change. heheh =) but i cant bear to part with my porsche..... so confused. been bothering me for the past 3 months.
Most who transition in and out of Porsche opt for the M3 . It's got enough passenger space and some performance . If one needs larger space I would pick Cayenne S . If you want comfort who not just get a big luxury car like an S class ? The M5 is Bangled . bloated , flimsy interior, eats gas like a monster and depreciates faster than superman can fly . The AMG Benz is a very fast straight line boring car . It also depreciates like a falling rock .

Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by amerlemans
....and gets 10 mpg, w!th a sh!tty SMG transmission and Idrive that a f'ing rocket scientist can't operate.

Having said that, the car is fast and luxurious at the same time. It really is a nice car. The SMG tranny is different than anything you have driven. I think its a love it or hate it sort of thing. The gas mileage is abysmal 10-12 mpg. I hated the Idrive --- too damn complicated to operate when you should be driving the vehicle.

I only had mine for three months and then sold it for a 997S. You really have to resign to the fact that you are driving a much bigger, heavier car that will not provide the feedback that your 911 does. Neither the M5 or E63 are "driver's cars" IMO.....not that they have to be...just prepare yourself. AT the end of the day, I thought I wanted a 4DR performance sedan....I found out rather quickly that I really didn't.

If you don't mind the gas mileage and you like the SMG and IDrive then it very well may be the best sedan on the planet.
Agreed - current M5 is overdone - better to look for a low mileage, good condition e39, if they exist - that's the M5 to have - fabulous car.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Mazatlan is infamous around these parts
I had an '06 E55, it was an amazing car. I've driven an E63 for a few weeks and was not impressed coming from the E55. The 55 actually pulls on the 63 due to the massive torque and s.c'd engine.

I'm not a fan of the new E-Class styling, I guess it has to grow on you but it looks like a Toyota from the back and just doesn't do it for me. The W211 was and still is a great looking platform.

The M5 handles leaps and bounds better than any Merc, revs faster, shifts faster, gives you more of a 'drivers experience' than a "sit in my luxury leather seats and go 150 on the 405 freeway."

Two very different cars, you have to drive them back to back. I would go for the 55 over the 63 though.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Audi RS4 or RS6?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:07 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Or there's that Panamera coming soon... What? No one drinking the Kool-aid yet?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 PM
gtwsdmd is infamous around these parts
I've owned 2007 M5 before my 997.2 C2 and driven a E63 as well. M5 is a much better car than the E63. More fun to drive and one of a kind.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
New JAG XFR. It rocks.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry if I sound rude, but why ask these questions on this forum?

Old 08-04-2009, 05:43 AM
Fas1 is infamous around these partsFas1 is infamous around these parts
what is wrong with asking these questions on this forum, and I understand your, but if you ask this question in the Mercedes forum then everybody on that forum will pick the e63 and the same thing would happen in the bmw forum they would pick the m5.

Rides:
E500
lx470
bmw 540i
Landcruiser
E300 turbo diesel
2006 911 carrera c2 convertible

Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I would do the M5, it sounds a lot nicer then just about any car out there!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 AM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Having never driven an M5 before, I would imagine the question for you is: comfort or performance - which do you want more? The M5 is going to be more performance oriented (MPG, handling, etc) while the E55 is more luxury minded. Have access to an S55 which I drive on occasion and, while the car hauls like all hell (for it's weight) you can tell the car was designed with comfort vs performance in mind.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:15 AM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Verde
Sorry if I sound rude, but why ask these questions on this forum?
Because everyone here had one of them or both and can tell unbiased truth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bmw M5 VS Merc E63 AMG?