997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Good news for the PDK money shift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:13 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Good news for the PDK money shift

I have never money shifted a car in my life . I have been a passenger in a car which money shifted . I had wondered what PDK would do. After all the push /pull nature of the paddle is so quick.

Not looking to find out .. I ended up finding out . In manual sport I accidentally pulled instead of pushed -- I braced for the worst --the money shift . It completely IGNORED my input . The gear did not shift in any direction .

That is the best news I have had all day.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
That's interesting. Seems as if the computer won't let the driver overrev the engine. That's one cybernanny I actually don't mind.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
It was the question that I had but never wanted to test . It was the first thing I though of on a test drive . What if the driver makes the simple error on the button selection? As I did it in error I knew it but it too late .

I am so glad the car ignored it .

It won't ignore agggressive downshifting . So my next question is at what point is the defining line of giving a yay versus a nay to the driver input ?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM
7Speed is infamous around these parts
Try to do the same in "Sport Plus" and let us know. pleaseeeeeeee

Old 08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
phil_m is infamous around these parts
I tried it on the test drive, got my buttons confused, and it didn't shift as well. I think it ignores any input regardless of manual or auto mode (also regardless of program since I only drove in sport plus) if the input would overrev the engine

Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Porsche engineer's are awesome, nothing to complain

Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have never money shifted a car in my life . I have been a passenger in a car which money shifted . I had wondered what PDK would do. After all the push /pull nature of the paddle is so quick.

Not looking to find out .. I ended up finding out . In manual sport I accidentally pulled instead of pushed -- I braced for the worst --the money shift . It completely IGNORED my input . The gear did not shift in any direction .

That is the best news I have had all day.
Yep Porsche engineers have got you covered! You know when you are threshold braking on the verge of ABS for a high speed you can just pull in the PDK lever and hold it and it will down shift as fast as possible but will not go into too low a gear and hurt the engine....this is a cool trick on the track or a fast freeway exit.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 PM
PDK is awesome in the track I ran sebring two weeks ago my friends come in three 997 turbos & other 2 F430 and I gave them a really hard time.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 7Speed
PDK is awesome in the track I ran sebring two weeks ago my friends come in three 997 turbos & other 2 F430 and I gave them a really hard time.
When will you be back at Sebring again? I have a 09 C2S with PDK. I run most Chin events and some PCA events. I will most likely miss the September PCA event...but there is a chance I might be there.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by 7Speed
I can see the PDK car running tight corners and upshifting quicly enough to give a stock Turbo a track nightmare. The Turbo's main strength is the straight line speed and it's most powerful punch is the rolling start .

With proper mods there are few few cars who can hang with a modded up Turbo on a roll .

My EVT700 would pull the doors off my PDK car (stock) and spit them back at it but it costs double to have this and the fun level of the normally aspirated PDK is very entertaining .

Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I be back to sebring on Sept 12 & 13 with PBOC and not sure if my wife let me go to PCA event on next weekend Sept 19 & 20 but I have it in my calendar to tried.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I can see the PDK car running tight corners and upshifting quicly enough to give a stock Turbo a track nightmare. The Turbo's main strength is the straight line speed and it's most powerful punch is the rolling start .

With proper mods there are few few cars who can hang with a modded up Turbo on a roll .

My EVT700 would pull the doors off my PDK car (stock) and spit them back at it but it costs double to have this and the fun level of the normally aspirated PDK is very entertaining .
I totally agree with you, also I'm a 997 Turbo lover but on track it not just a matter of power, that's why GT3's are better that Turbo's on track's

Attached Images    
Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
When will you be back at Sebring again? I have a 09 C2S with PDK. I run most Chin events and some PCA events. I will most likely miss the September PCA event...but there is a chance I might be there.
I be back to sebring on Sept 12 & 13 with PBOC and not sure if my wife let me go to PCA event on next weekend Sept 19 & 20 but I have it in my calendar to tried.