997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Battery 'Maintainer' VS. 'Tender'?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
CTEK is the same as Porsche, just no logo, so you save about $60! I leave mine connected always. When the car was new, it took over a day to get the Green light, so I reckon sitting on the lot and short test drives is worse case scenario for battery health - and my short trip driving style is no better.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
I've used the various Battery Tender (brand) models for boats, jet skis, snowmobiles, motorcycles and cars over several years and have always had perfect results: a well charged, well conditioned battery that doesn't misbehave. I know there are competing brands, but the Battery Tender models work great for me...

Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 PM
sprinter is infamous around these parts
I would highly recommend the Porsche battery maintainer. I use it on my cars for months at a time with no problems. When it's chargeing the red light is on. When the light goes out you are good to go. It connects to the cigarette lighter instead of the battery so its very easy.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Read up on what these maintainers do - after battery reaches charged state, maintainer cycles on and off to trickle state to keep charged up.
Maintainer is the type of trickle charger described above,
Battery Tender is a name brand of a Maintainer popularized by motorcycles

Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 PM
portmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to behold
I drive my car a short distance everyday, is that why i am getting a very week start up? Should I be plugging it in everyday?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:28 PM
slim997 is infamous around these parts
Took delivery of a 997 C2S Cab from MCL last week and bought their battery charger today which set me back just slightly over Cdn$200.

I guess the Porsche and Tequipment logos on the fancy box accounted for 70% of the cost.

Will report on how many hours it will take to reach full charge.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 AM
slim997 is infamous around these parts
Observed that the charger's light turned green to trickle mode last night after about 8 hours of charging. Checked again this morning and the light has shifted back to red on charge mode...I'm guessing that this is on Pulse mode as described in the manual.

Slim

Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 AM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
I have used this on all my P cars.

It gets plugged into the lighter anytime the car is in the garage and never have had a problem.

Its a great invention by porsche.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 PM
DJS
DJS is infamous around these parts
Thank you all for replies

I got the maintainer... will report on satisfaction in the future.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by portmoody911
I drive my car a short distance everyday, is that why i am getting a very week start up? Should I be plugging it in everyday?
Porsche will not warranty the battery in the first year if you drive less than 10k a year. Typically you need to go more than a short distance to recover the energy lost from starting the car. This is not normally a problem unless you always go short distances. Consider taking the long way home once a week.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:05 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DrPeter
Porsche will not warranty the battery in the first year if you drive less than 10k a year. Typically you need to go more than a short distance to recover the energy lost from starting the car. This is not normally a problem unless you always go short distances. Consider taking the long way home once a week.
I believe it's 6K or 500/month. Some friendly dealers will honor warranty if annual mileage is less.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 AM
mass is infamous around these parts
Are the Porsche batteries that weak that they need to be charged this often? I only drive 4K a year and mostly short distances and in 2 yrs the car starts just fine. Sometimes I don't drive it for at least a week.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mass
Are the Porsche batteries that weak that they need to be charged this often? I only drive 4K a year and mostly short distances and in 2 yrs the car starts just fine. Sometimes I don't drive it for at least a week.

I did that with my BMW 550i - toward the end of the 3rd year, the battery left me stuck in a parking lot (and there were other symptoms as well). Same thing happened to my sister - she also has a short drive to work (5 min).

Hopefully this CTEK thingy will prevent another episode.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:38 AM
mass is infamous around these parts
steve- where did u purchase. thanks

Old 09-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by mass
steve- where did u purchase. thanks

I just googled and found the lowest price - somewhere off amazom.com I think. Charger came from one place, lighter adapter from somewhere else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery 'Maintainer' VS. 'Tender'?