997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Battery 'Maintainer' VS. 'Tender'?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
DJS
DJS is infamous around these parts
Battery 'Maintainer' VS. 'Tender'?

Hey guys!
Will be leaving the 911S undriven for a few weeks... which do you recommend and what exactly is the difference between a Tender and a Maintainer?

My local stealer has the Maintainer. Should I hunt for the Tender?

Many thanks!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Interested to know as well.

On a similar note, can anybody tell me how long it is ok to leave the car undriven before you need to hook a mantainer/tender to it? I know that it may depend on how old the battery is, outside air temperature, etc. but on average, how many weeks before I'll run into trouble.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I have used for years a Battery Tender Jr. (about $25 at Amazon).

If you keep the car parked for 10 days you should condition the battery with one of these units.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42292

$5 and work great. I have them all over my garage.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-04-2009, 01:59 PM
gjnockie is infamous around these parts
The best battery charger IMHO is the Yuasa Smartshot 1.5 amp by far! It is way more robustly built than the others, don't forget Yuasa makes batteries.

They cost around 50 bucks. I use one with a cigarette lighter attachment and it works great.

Do the research and you will see that I am right.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I know that it is more money, but the Porsche (CCTEK) unit is easy to use.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by adias
If you keep the car parked for 10 days you should condition the battery with one of these units.
Wow, really? 10 days of not driving and I probably need to plug her in? I better get one pretty soon. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Wow, really? 10 days of not driving and I probably need to plug her in? I better get one pretty soon. Thanks for the info.
I plug mine in for the weekends, it is amazing that it needs to be charged longer then one would imagine.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
If you're going to wait longer, leave your hood popped.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
So I picked up a Ctek 3600 and charged up my battery... Do you guys leave it connected? The warnings in the manual about hydrogen gas, well ventilated area, etc... kinda freaked me out. Now I feel like I don't want to leave it connected while I'm out of town.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mrdonut
So I picked up a Ctek 3600 and charged up my battery... Do you guys leave it connected? The warnings in the manual about hydrogen gas, well ventilated area, etc... kinda freaked me out. Now I feel like I don't want to leave it connected while I'm out of town.
Read up on what these maintainers do - after battery reaches charged state, maintainer cycles on and off to trickle state to keep charged up. I've used on bikes, and 3 different P-cars in a closed garage - never an issue with venting.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
If you're going to wait longer, leave your hood popped.
Can you explain this one a bit more. Sorry, a little lost here.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Can you explain this one a bit more. Sorry, a little lost here.
If you waited too long to hook up the battery mainitainer and the battery dies with the hood closed you have to use an alternative method to pop the hood and get to the battery.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 PM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
Ironically, it was the fact that I was reading up on them that led me to my concern, but yes, I get that despite the warnings from Ctek, the manufacturer also claims that it will pulse after it detects that charge is complete

Old 08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
I use the Porsche one just plug it in the cig lighter and go..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery 'Maintainer' VS. 'Tender'?