997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2009 4S PDK - Stops abruptly in sport mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:07 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Ok...this is just getting ridiculous....

I read on these forums a bunch of contradictory posts where people say they want a pure and fast sports car and how with the older cars they felt more part of the car feeling every raw part of the car and road...then in the next post they complain about scraping the front underside, rough ride, tire noise, smells, child seats, rear seats and a slight iddy bitty jerk when PDK is in auto sport/sport plus mode in stop and go traffic that causes them to jerk their wifey poo's neck and spill their grande mocha latte frapachino on the macadamia nut Crusted wood interior trim......GEEESH!
Indeed. Either crybabies or poseurs.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I reckon the issue is more about is this correct, or good, or useful, or intentional? And why? Was it designed as such to make the car seem more quirky and "sports-car"'ish or is it something that PAG and ZF should sort out?

FWIW, it doesn't really bother me that much, although I'm beginning to wonder more and more that maybe Sport and above is not really intended for normal driving. The more I get used to normal auto, that's kinda what I think it was designed for: smooth, in city driving. And it certainly isn't sluggish or slow or unfulfilling. I think PDK, being new, takes a good bit of getting used to, especially with SC: 6 different ways to drive the car and all of them probably have a purpose or design intent.

I started out just automatically pushing Sport...'cause I want the car to go, right (old habit from driving BMWs?). Now I'm thinking maybe that is a simplistic naive approach.

However, I still have to wonder in Sport/Auto - why that behavior? Is it good for something? Did the designers have something in mind that most of us just aren't getting? Seems like a fair question.

Last edited by stevepow; 08-06-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
I reckon the issue is more about is this correct, or good, or useful, or intentional? And why? Was it designed as such to make the car seem more quirky and "sports-car"'ish or is it something that PAG and ZF should sort out?...
Steve: Standard autos do not engage 1st when the car stops. The PDK does, and that is why this happens, in my view. Normal mode probably feathers the clutches a bit longer and Sport/Sport Plus less, for performance sake. If enough complain, PAG may change the PDK code and soften the Sport/Sport Plus shift to 1st... but is that what one wants when driving through a tight fast 1st gear hairpin?

Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 PM
mstams is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
Steve: Standard autos do not engage 1st when the car stops. The PDK does, and that is why this happens, in my view. Normal mode probably feathers the clutches a bit longer and Sport/Sport Plus less, for performance sake. If enough complain, PAG may change the PDK code and soften the Sport/Sport Plus shift to 1st... but is that what one wants when driving through a tight fast 1st gear hairpin?
I'm mainly curious why manual mode doesn't do this in Sport/Sport Plus. I have been really enjoying the manual mode lately - but auto sport would be nice from time to time. That's all.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mstams
I'm mainly curious why manual mode doesn't do this in Sport/Sport Plus. I have been really enjoying the manual mode lately - but auto sport would be nice from time to time. That's all.
Exactly!

I wonder if Porsche could use the speed sensor and program PDK in Sport mode to either:
1- shift to neutral going from 2nd slowing down to a stop and then once the car is stopped it would shift to 1st.

2- shift to 1st only once the car is stopped...basically delay the shift to 1st longer.

This would not effect any one track activity like going into a tight 20mph hair pin.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Exactly!

I wonder if Porsche could use the speed sensor and program PDK in Sport mode to either:
1- shift to neutral going from 2nd slowing down to a stop and then once the car is stopped it would shift to 1st.

2- shift to 1st only once the car is stopped...basically delay the shift to 1st longer.

This would not effect any one track activity like going into a tight 20mph hair pin.
It might not shift to 1st on a powered hairpin... unless they would sense yaw and other parameters to distinguish from a regular stop.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:39 PM
mstams is infamous around these parts
Probably just my simple mind -- but when I think of all the very complex things that PDK can do, it just seems silly that this cannot be solved via software programming.

I also don't see how it made it through beta testing with real world drivers. Maybe they never hit a stop light?

Last thing, if PDK is to be the future for Panamera, Cayenne, etc., just imagine how much crying there is going to be in the near future...

Old 08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
canuckporsche is infamous around these parts
Took my 2009 4s to the dealer today to demonstrate the "abrupt" stop issue to the service advsior. Very nice discussion, but feedback is it is a nature of the beast and there is currently no software update available for this symptom or anything else. I agree with one of the previous contributors who made the point we should all provide feedback to Porsche direct and through the dealers. It shouldn't be that difficult to fix. One blemish on an otherwise amazing vehicle. I would be interested in hearing from other drivers who do not have this issue(IF THERE ARE ANY?) to see if there is some determing factor that might help the rest of us. Advisor also thought it might get better with time - my car only has 300km.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, did you type that in one breath?

I read on these forums a bunch of contradictory posts where people say they want a pure and fast sports car and how with the older cars they felt more part of the car feeling every raw part of the car and road...then in the next post they complain about scraping the front underside, rough ride, tire noise, smells, child seats, rear seats and a slight iddy bitty jerk when PDK is in auto sport/sport plus mode in stop and go traffic that causes them to jerk their wifey poo's neck and spill their grande mocha latte frapachino on the macadamia nut Crusted wood interior trim......GEEESH!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
Wow, did you type that in one breath?
Yep pretty much! I was on a roll this afternoon....fired off a few good emails for work too!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mstams
Exactly - Manual/Sport (or Sport+) mode "automatically" shifts to 1st as well at a stop - just without the jolt.

Again though, today, I purposely stayed away from sport and the car is a blast to drive. And that's a good thing since otherwise a car without SC would be crap, and I just don't believe that is true.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 PM
chowyunfatnd is infamous around these parts

I think you nailed it :-)

I don't mind the jerk. It's a friendly love tap from your P-car

Old 08-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by stevepow
Exactly - Manual/Sport (or Sport+) mode "automatically" shifts to 1st as well at a stop - just without the jolt.
I suspect that in manual Sport/S+ it just stalls, opens the clutch (Neutral) as it stops. The 1st is engaged after stopping. It would be up to the driver (in manual) to engage a 1st.

In auto is different. As I speculated, if one is in auto on a tight hairpin, one might want the auto mode to engage a 1st. 'First' downshifts are always jerky even when done properly manually.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by adias
I suspect that in manual Sport/S+ it just stalls, opens the clutch (Neutral) as it stops. The 1st is engaged after stopping. It would be up to the driver (in manual) to engage a 1st.

In auto is different. As I speculated, if one is in auto on a tight hairpin, one might want the auto mode to engage a 1st. 'First' downshifts are always jerky even when done properly manually.
In manual mode if you do not down shift, PDK will automatically downshift as you slow to a stop. The so called jerk to 1st gear is not there though. I never really paid attention to this but I will go out today and drive and play around with auto and manual in the different modes to see what the car is doing differently between these modes as it downshifts to a slow stop.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of coffee - it probably would be reasonable to add that Porsche cup holders could really be a bit better.

Just like smoking a habit of having cup of coffee at 7am while driving is very difficult to change. And I would gladly cut out entire section in center panel where ashtray sits and installed there one nice deep cup holder, just like one in my wife`s honda accord. And I am almost completely serious here, believe you or not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 4S PDK - Stops abruptly in sport mode