997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2009 4S PDK - Stops abruptly in sport mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 AM
gjnockie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by canuckporsche
In sport mode, just before coming to a stop the car abrupty stops or is jerky most of the time instead of the smooth stop in normal mode. The sport plus is even worse but I do not intend to use it in city driving. Is it the nature of the beast? Interesting if I have the sport mode in manual it does not stop abruptly.
Mine has only 175 miles on it and it does not do that. It drops down to first nice and smooth when coming to a stop.

What is the build date for your car?

Old 08-07-2009, 08:57 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gjnockie
Mine has only 175 miles on it and it does not do that. It drops down to first nice and smooth when coming to a stop.

What is the build date for your car?

That's what I thought too when I got my car, until someone pointed this out - then I noticed it. Really depends on how you come to a stop too - doesn't happen all the time.

My car was built in 12/08.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:35 PM
canuckporsche is infamous around these parts
Just got my car last week - it was ordered by someone else who switched last minute to a cab - so I would guess my build date was in the last 30 days or so.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:59 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by canuckporsche
Just got my car last week - it was ordered by someone else who switched last minute to a cab - so I would guess my build date was in the last 30 days or so.
Is your ca a 2010? It could still have old software.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 PM
canuckporsche is infamous around these parts
It is a 2009. Dealer service rep said i have the latest software version.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by adias
I suspect that in manual Sport/S+ it just stalls, opens the clutch (Neutral) as it stops. The 1st is engaged after stopping. It would be up to the driver (in manual) to engage a 1st.

In auto is different. As I speculated, if one is in auto on a tight hairpin, one might want the auto mode to engage a 1st. 'First' downshifts are always jerky even when done properly manually.

OK, I'm about ready to decide that the car is behaving correctly in Sport. If driving fairly aggressively, the current behavior feels right.

And if not driving aggressively, that's what Normal is for. And if you "want your cake and eat it too", Manual should sort it out.

...My current thinking after doing some comparisons while out and about.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
OK, I'm about ready to decide that the car is behaving correctly in Sport. If driving fairly aggressively, the current behavior feels right.

And if not driving aggressively, that's what Normal is for. And if you "want your cake and eat it too", Manual should sort it out.

...My current thinking after doing some comparisons while out and about.
I think they ought to do away with "normal" and "sport" and offer one system which offers the best of both .. but that's just me being picky .

Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 AM
DaveC is infamous around these parts
One system would be better, but then they couldn't charge us for the button!

Old 08-13-2009, 06:27 PM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
This is a deal-killer for me if the Panamera has this behavior...

Ferrari's F1 boxes were a little like this 5+ years ago. They've evolved over the years and the incremental improvements have resulted in perfection. The 430 Scuderia is absolutely flawless in operation -- shifts are seemless up or down in any condition. I suspect the Porsche engineers working on the PDK system just have to go through the same learning curve. What's impressive about the Scuderia is that it is not a dual-clutch system, but just a regular single clutch...

Old 08-16-2009, 08:47 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BritBlaster
This is a deal-killer for me if the Panamera has this behavior...

Ferrari's F1 boxes were a little like this 5+ years ago. They've evolved over the years and the incremental improvements have resulted in perfection. The 430 Scuderia is absolutely flawless in operation -- shifts are seemless up or down in any condition. I suspect the Porsche engineers working on the PDK system just have to go through the same learning curve. What's impressive about the Scuderia is that it is not a dual-clutch system, but just a regular single clutch...
The PDK does not have this jerk in manual mode in Sport or Sport Plus mode. It only has a slight jerk in Auto mode when stopping very very slowly.

Please do not get me wrong as I am not a Porsche snob, I love all sport cars especially Ferrari but from my understanding, the F1 transmission in a Ferrari is no where near as duarable as Porsche's PDK. PDK as far as I know with my car requires no scheduled maintanance. I know Ferrari guys that go through F1 clutches in 7-10,000 miles. I have about 8000 miles and 6 track days on my PDK and no adjustment or service needed.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:49 AM
ghb
ghb is infamous around these parts
Does anyone notice this problem as well when accelerating (at low rev from gear 1 to 2)? My wife's c4s has this issue when slowing down, but also the same issue when accelerating as well - i.e., at low rev (from gear 1 to 2). The gear shift is a bit jerky and there is a "thumping" sound. I wonder if others have the same issue.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:20 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ghb
Does anyone notice this problem as well when accelerating (at low rev from gear 1 to 2)? My wife's c4s has this issue when slowing down, but also the same issue when accelerating as well - i.e., at low rev (from gear 1 to 2). The gear shift is a bit jerky and there is a "thumping" sound. I wonder if others have the same issue.
The thump might be a result of a confused acceleration . What i mean by that is lets say the driver accelerates in first gear and a car cuts in front but far enough away that he doesn't have to hit the brake . A hard acceleration with an immediate let off the gas will thump . The system is confused.
In other words if you or your wife has a heavy foot this will occur often.

BTW -- i do feel its a valid compaint that the downshift needs to face a correction . There is no way the Cayenne and Panamera owners are going to like this. I also feel that there has to be a better blend between normal and sport auto. Just as no one buys a Porsche to drive 30 MPH in 6th .. the jerk in sport auto as well as the car's inability to retain 7th gear at 55 in sport auto wedge the driver into facing the options of working around this .

Old 10-10-2009, 05:15 AM
JohnAMG is infamous around these parts
My car has about 3600 miles and the only time I experience the 2-1 jerk was during hard stop with A/C on. I wouldn't call it violent thump/jerk but no more noticeable than my previous car, 06' E55. During gradual stop my car behave normally. However I did have my PASM/PDK module replaced in May and was told software update was performed for DME, PDK and PASM because the defective module wasn't communicating with DME.

John

Old 10-10-2009, 05:54 PM
baileybonds is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ghb
My C4S does this as well! 02/09 build date. I believe I do have the latest software. I drove my car with my dealers service shop foreman and he noticed this as well and is going to file a "tech request" from PCNA and also drive some other cars to compare. He said it may take a few weeks to hear back from Atlanta, but we'll see what happens...

Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 PM
echere88 is infamous around these parts
Actually I do have the same complaint like most of you describe here. But I felt the symptom starts to ease. I think it might be beacuse the car broke-in. Right now the car has 1200 miles, and I hardly can notice the abrupt 2-1 downshift in auto sport mode. This is after I drove the car a bit more aggressively last trip for 300 miles day. Since then I also start to drive more spiritually with rpm between 3k and 4k most of time. Maybe if we drive the car harder as it is intened for, the "problem" would disappeared.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 4S PDK - Stops abruptly in sport mode