997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2009 4S PDK - Stops abruptly in sport mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:19 PM
canuckporsche is infamous around these parts
Dealer udated PDK software and adjusted clutches. Problem occurs less often now and not as severe....but it still happens. Just about 3k km on car.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:27 AM
ghb
ghb is infamous around these parts
My dealer has already updated the car with the latest software as well, and the problem doesn't go away. Could you please keep me posted with your findings? I hope it'll work out for you.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:30 AM
ghb
Smile

Originally Posted by baileybonds
My C4S does this as well! 02/09 build date. I believe I do have the latest software. I drove my car with my dealers service shop foreman and he noticed this as well and is going to file a "tech request" from PCNA and also drive some other cars to compare. He said it may take a few weeks to hear back from Atlanta, but we'll see what happens...
My dealer has updated the car with the latest software as well, and the problem doesn't go away. Please keep me posted with your findings. I hope it'll work out for you.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:41 AM
ghb
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The thump might be a result of a confused acceleration . What i mean by that is lets say the driver accelerates in first gear and a car cuts in front but far enough away that he doesn't have to hit the brake . A hard acceleration with an immediate let off the gas will thump . The system is confused.
In other words if you or your wife has a heavy foot this will occur often.

BTW -- i do feel its a valid compaint that the downshift needs to face a correction . There is no way the Cayenne and Panamera owners are going to like this. I also feel that there has to be a better blend between normal and sport auto. Just as no one buys a Porsche to drive 30 MPH in 6th .. the jerk in sport auto as well as the car's inability to retain 7th gear at 55 in sport auto wedge the driver into facing the options of working around this .
I know exactly what you meant by "confused acceleration." However, the thumping sometimes occurs not when I let go the gas, but when I am pressing down the gas to accelerate (typically from gear 1 to 2). The "thumping" is a very distint "bang" - almost like someone puch the engine with a fist. I actually don't mind the engine thumping (b/c I kinda like the rough and raw feel of the 911) - as long as the car is purposefully designed that way - i.e., that it is not a problem that needs to be fixed.

I agree with you about the downshift problem - I think Cayenne and Panamera owners may not like this.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:12 PM
MTRX is infamous around these parts
I know this is a very old thread, but I'm curious if any of your guys have more input on this issue.
I have a 13 PTT and my PDK does the same thing, but the worst part is that I does it also in normal mode, if it was only doing it in sports auto I could somewhat live with it, but not in the normal mode and not on Panamera..
Had my dealer look into this and even had PFT come and check this out, they are telling me that this is "normal" and that they compared it to other PTT on the lot and they all do this.
I find this really hard to believe... I had a 14 Cayman as a loaner and that car didn't do this at all, not even on sports mode. So why would a luxury sedan have this issue. It is super annoying to the point that when I drive my other car and come to a complete stop I find myself expecting it to do the same thing..

Old 03-17-2015, 12:27 PM
canuckporsche is infamous around these parts
PDk Abrupt Downshifting

I never got any improvement with this issue despite numerous service visits, software updates and changing driving habits. It only did it in a Sport mode but the normal mode is so unexciting to drive in versus Sport. For me this issue just about ruined the overall experience and as well passengers would wonder what the heck is wrong with the transmission in this $100k+ car. The consistent feedback from Porsche head office and dealer was that this was the nature of the beast. Off the record the dealer told me it was hit and miss on the 2009 model if the problem occurred and basically non existent on 2011 and later models. I sold it a couple of years ago.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I agree, this does ruin the entire experience, and what is sad is that Porsche doesn't want to take any responsibility on this and makes your feel like you are some kind of a "picky idiot".
I'm going to try a different dealership, if they can't resolve this issue, I might actually sell the car and say bye to Porsche (although I would be very sad to do so).
Now days almost everyone uses DCT and I know Porsche wrote a book on it, but for some reason a simple thing like downshift on the sports sedan is so annoying that you want to sell your car because of this.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:55 PM
ogun228 is infamous around these parts
This "back from the dead" thread makes one wonder whether the car owners even bothered to test drive their cars properly before purchase. You wanted a sport car and that's what you got. It's all about the driving. What a waste.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
Agree

Old 03-17-2015, 09:08 PM
ogun228 is infamous around these parts
I'm sorry as my answer was a bit tart. Please accept my apology.

Now for some helpful advice: try to learn your car, its strengths as well as its idiosyncracies. For example learn its tendancies and try to make it do what you want. There is a way up to a point. Its taken me almost 1 1/2 year of ownership to get to know my cab. It is my DD. Now I know how far I can push it up to my capabilities and it has taken me many autoX's with instructors and many mistakes to feel confident.
Don't give up on it, it is a great car, unlike any other. Treat it as a friend, coax it to your will...Try it and you'll see that with a different approach, you'll get to love it as most of us do.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:46 PM
It's ok not a big deal. I do like this car a lot and what makes me mad is the fact that this is not a "normal" thing for this car to do and majority of PTT do not do this. I'm mad at Porsche USA and not the car
I do try your suggested approach and alway have and I agree that it works, it's just I'm still a bit sore after battling with my local dealer and Porsche rep for over a month to fix my front end problem, finally it's fixed and what a difference.
For example today I drove the best for few hours and it didn't do this strange jerking.. I just wanted to figure out what makes PDK self learning memory reprogram to stop this glitch.