997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

If I had to pick one -Pdk Vs Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
I have (and enjoy) both also. Well, sorta. My DD for the last 2.5 years has been an 06 M5 with SMG, and that car with that transmission is fantastic. I just bought an '08 C2S Cab and when I was looking, I knew I wanted a manual to mix it up a bit...it's fun having one of each...

Last edited by bwiele; 08-07-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-07-2009, 01:42 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ryem3
... As you said, PDK will downshift by holding the paddles, but what is the final gear?...
The right one.

It really is. And as for counting paddle flips with SMG - yep - that was a bummer. But with PDK I don't even think about it - the Tach is a glance away and if I have the stereo up too loud or just don't feel the car, a quick glance at the tach and I know what I need to do. It really is nothing like SMG.

The other thing that I notice in stark contrast to SMG - auto works so well, it makes me want to use it - even as much I want to resist that, I feel like I am trying to swim upstream shifting myself - and the damn car is usually better at it than I am.

Still, PDK is new and I think it is, for now, for those who need the advantages Larry noted and for those who are willing to risk it being a boat anchor in a few years. A manual is a safe, classic choice for a classic sports car. When they go all electric, it will be time to re-evaluate.

Last edited by stevepow; 08-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:23 PM
VicL is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stevepow
auto works so well, it makes me want to use it - even as much I want to resist that, I feel like I am trying to swim upstream shifting myself - and the damn car is usually better at it than I am.
Steve, don't resist. To me the best thing about PDK is that it's a great FAST shifting AUTO. It's not like old autos that then to hold the high gear or prematurally upshifts and needs manual intervention, PDK is almost aways in the right gear or will get the right gear quickly. Use the accelerator to downshift, much quicker than flipping buttons or paddles. Since porsche owners enjoy driving, some of us feel the need to be challenged, doing something rather than letting the car drive us. The reality is PDK will select the right gear faster than anyone can process the information and input the selection via paddles.

Last edited by VicL; 08-07-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
This is a great post. And, at the risk of flaming a large percentage of this forums' readers, I suspect that there was a post just like this many years back comparing CD's to vinyl in the recording biz. The sentiment, the timeliness and the potential of future value all were arguments that had many holding their breath knowing that vinyl was simply better. How could zeros, ones and a microprocessor possibly improve on analog??
And I have to admit that I feel the same as yrralis on the issue. But there's a little voice in the back of my head reminding me that 'Vinyl is better. Really'.
I still have a bunch of albums in my garage, in a box. But I never bought a new turntable and haven't listened to them in decades. I suspect that when it is time to buy a new Porsche, I'll go digital. But I might keep my current one with a manual. Too much sentiment, timeliness and potential future value.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I began driving as a die hard manual transmission guy . I walked into PDK and fell in love with it too . I have both .. but what if I had to pick just one.

IF -
You drive in traffic
You have other family members who don't drive stick
You track the car and want an advantage
1/4 drag strip time sheets are important to you .
You want the impossibility of engine over rev
You want the most precise and efficient shift
Get the PDK

PDK is the best all around multi purpose car .

IF -
You want a timeless transmission which would face extinction rather than evolution like the PDK .
What first captured your heart in driving is the simplicity and the basic nature of shifting each gear .
You don't want the choices of modes that you face rejecting.
Get a manual

If I had to pick just one what a tough decision and I bounce back and forth every day with it.

I suppose I dwell on my roots . I dwell on being 18 again and grinding gears and stalling . I dwell on Japanese cars reverse being in a different location than the German cars. I dwell on being in my 20's , 30's , 40's married to the 1 -4 then 5 , then 6 gears in an H pattern . I dwell on growing up .. driving a manual. There is something special in holding on to something cherished from the past fused into the contemporary .

My verdict is in .. it's a tie !!!!!!
That's why i have TWO freaking cars (at least for now) and I guess I will delay and procrastinate my final pick as the number one transmission.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
vrnkc is infamous around these parts
For me, shifting slowly into gears is more pleasurable--just listening to the unique and classic flat 6 engine / exhaust sound in-between shifts is great. 6 spd manual gets my vote.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:06 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm right up there with you guys - sin911 aside, there are not so many younger guys with the finances to buy a 997. (Don't want to start a flame war on that one!) God, if I owned this car when I was 21, I'd be long dead - run into a tree or something trying to drift it!
Hey Ryem3, I stopped drifting when I bought my C2S... I had a 350Z prior to my 911 and it was a drift machine. An FR car with LSD equipped as a standard, man that was fun! Since the C2S is an RR car, it really is hard to keep the nose pointed to where you want since it is too light, I can not drift with this car. I am thinking that Coilovers might lessen the problem by improving the handling. (open to other suggestions as well)

I am not going to start an argument about your comments BTW. I try to hide my age to avoid much attention (this was a first)... I have learned to drive slow in this car (as slow as possible at least ) I care too much for my car to drive it recklessly and have an accident. I can not even give my car to the Valet or even park it in a narrow parking space so that I won't have any dents on it...

I like manual transmission because it keeps me involved in the drive. The automatic/PDK transmission does not require me to get involved in the drive as much as 6 speed, just step on the gas and go... Might (definitely!) get old for me in a short time...

Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 PM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
IF -
You drive in traffic
You have other family members who don't drive stick
For me you nailed it with these first two. Traffic in my area is horrendous, and part of what sealed the deal on the new 911 for us is that my wife can also drive and enjoy it.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Glad to hear it sin911! Keep the rubber on the road!
It is great to have a really better alternative than the tip for people that have a lot of traffic. While I enjoyed the SMG, it was clearly far from a double clutch tranny. I'm really excited to be back in te manual. I also had an E36 M3 with a 5spd. Really was more fun than the SMG was.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:48 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to hear it sin911! Keep the rubber on the road!
It is great to have a really better alternative than the tip for people that have a lot of traffic. While I enjoyed the SMG, it was clearly far from a double clutch tranny. I'm really excited to be back in te manual. I also had an E36 M3 with a 5spd. Really was more fun than the SMG was.
I do not care how much the PDK is faster and more advanced from a regular Automatic, that is the reason I bought a 6 speed

I love to tap the gas pedal a little while downshifting... I love the roar of the engine when I downshift... I love having a third pedal to press... I love the feeling and hearing the shifter getting into gears... Basically, I am still in love with Manual Transmission!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with Larry, one really needs both a manual and a pdk 911.

I will keep my 6 speed club coupe for a long time, but I look forward to add a pdk GT3 in the future.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:31 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
The right one.
Yep .. PDK does hit the right gear . It finds it for you quicker than you can find it for yourself . It just takes some adjusting after 30 years or so of going about driving in one method and adapting to a new (quicker. more efficient, but different ) method.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Agree with Larry, one really needs both a manual and a pdk 911.

I will keep my 6 speed club coupe for a long time, but I look forward to add a pdk GT3 in the future.
Yep --it's not either/or --but BOTH . That was my original post.
With this frame of reference one can be 100 percent complete with the two choices.

The manual only argument --fails to take into account the merrits of PDK .
The PDK only argument- fails to take into account the merrits of the manual .

Having both covers all bases and loving both encompasses the best of both along with the flaws of each .. all geared towards a more well rounded driving experience.

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-08-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:05 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Larry seems PDK is growing and growing on you . A week ago you stated if you had to choose one, it would be manual, some days later they are even, maybe two weeks from now PDK takes it .
You are lucky enought to have the best of both worlds, PDK and manual, and you really seem to know what you´re talking about. Keep this reports and comparos coming, it really makes this forum a must, to have someone who express so many different ownerships aspects of these two wonderful cars.

Last edited by J.Seven; 08-08-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:49 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
You pull up to a light. Waiting for the light to change. You blip the throttle. Just enough to hear the tone of that flat six. I never to it to impress anybody or goad someone on to a stoplight GP. Just to hear the tone of that tuned exhaust. Can't do it with the PDK, tip or SMG. Unless you put in neutral, which most people rarely do. Music to my ears. Can't beat the 6 speed.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:50 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I haven't driven PDK yet. But I have driven the double clutch on a GT-R on a track. I noticed a very slight pause at times when you downshift in certain situations. I think it happens because of gear pre selection.

Does this happen with the PDK? I found my 997 with a LWFW to be a little more predictable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If I had to pick one -Pdk Vs Manual