997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

If I had to pick one -Pdk Vs Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I haven't driven PDK yet. But I have driven the double clutch on a GT-R on a track. I noticed a very slight pause at times when you downshift in certain situations. I think it happens because of gear pre selection.

Does this happen with the PDK? I found my 997 with a LWFW to be a little more predictable.
It's immediate from the paddle in manual mode.In auto mode it requires a kickdown of the pedal but it's still faster than a manual shift .A simultaneous paddle downshift while punching the pedal has the car finding the right gear in an instant as well (even if it downshifts more than one gear).

Old 08-09-2009, 02:58 PM
mmaa is infamous around these parts
What makes porsche a sport car ? If you want be fastest, there be other Cars......or go by train....
Quick lap times, are nice, but a street car you buy, has to be the one which gives you the most fun. The PDK is a great automatic, but i have chosen the manual...so much more fun

I ordered a manual, and the salesman 3x asked if I knew it certainly.....they take no manuals on stock ....

What is the percentage of porsche purchasers that chooses for the manual?

Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
portmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to beholdportmoody911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mmaa
What makes porsche a sport car ? If you want be fastest, there be other Cars......or go by train....
Quick lap times, are nice, but a street car you buy, has to be the one which gives you the most fun. The PDK is a great automatic, but i have chosen the manual...so much more fun

I ordered a manual, and the salesman 3x asked if I knew it certainly.....they take no manuals on stock ....

What is the percentage of porsche purchasers that chooses for the manual?
Good question! For me it's 6 speed all the way. I use my car as a daily driver and I just can't imagine not being able to rev the engine or just pump the throttle. For what it's worth I read somewhere that Porsche is expecting pdk to completely take over in the next five years.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:00 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I read recently that only 10% of licensed drivers CAN drive manual. That is not the percentage of manual cars. It is pretty cool that 6spd is the preferred 911 - not including the current PDK demand.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
skay is infamous around these parts
In London dealers were/are selling Tip/PDK 2-to-1 over manual.

Larry's post is an excellent one especially that he can jump into either car on a whim and come back give us an unbiased opinion. Personally, when I get into a 911 I'm looking for the most fundamental, base, and raw experience possible. Talking about driver & car becoming one, I sometimes want to give myself a pat on the back when I pick that right gear at that moment in time when everything's on the line. I have tried the PDK and it's truly amazing, but I somehow felt distanced from the car.

I have a 2007 factory ordered manual 911 (C4S, X51, PCCB, LSD, Sport suspension- no PASM) that's just what the doctor ordered. I'm sure that I'll see PDK blow by me every now and then especially on the straights, but what an experience it is be in total sync with this car with both hands and feet busy at work. I can only imagine how much more interesting and fun F1 would be today if it's drivers had to contend with manual gear boxes, instead of all the gizmos that go into its carrs.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:52 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by skay
In London dealers were/are selling Tip/PDK 2-to-1 over manual.
Does anyone have comparative sales figures between the Tip and PDK? As in, how many more PDK's are they selling as a percentage of total sales vs the Tip?