997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

CPO '05 C2S engine exits stage left :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Ian, do you know when exactly did they introduce that 'final' version of IMS bearing? Generally speaking - are those engines affected date just to year 2005 alone or does it cover wider date range?
I'm not sure when the last evolution of the IMS/bearing was introduced but I think it may have been for MY 2006. Obviously the 3.8 M97 engine is no longer in production so I'd guess that there will be no further development of these items - hence my calling it the 'final' version!

In any event, a factory-remanufactured engine will have the very latest bits and pieces installed.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
skay is infamous around these parts
That is no fun at all, and I hope at least that the cocunut pie was good. As a distraction while you wait to here from the dealer; how did you find the 911 vs your 07 Boxter S?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
That is a major league bummer

On the bright side, you've got a car with relatively high mileage that will have a new motor.

Porsche definitely needs to address this issue you more comprehensively than the piecemeal approach they've been taking.

Ask the dealer how they would treat you if there was no CPO on your car...you'd be screwed if not for their largess.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Nexus-6 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the sentiments and comments folks - in some way, I believe posting was more or less cathartic and the support at this time really helps.

Part of me would be more relieved if it was rather catastrophic in nature, versus repairable if that makes sense. For instance, if the timing chain had come apart but didn't have a chance to chew anything up too badly vs total IMS failure- I'd still be a bit apprehensive behind the wheel after a rebuild whereas I'd have probably zero issues with a re-manufactured engine from Porsche.

In any event, I am 100% at their mercy at this point and can only hope for the best.

The coconut pie was good. Not good enough to wash away the shock at the time, but close.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:32 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
sorry to hear about your experience.

That must be some really good coconut pie. I'll have to try some next time I am down your way.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:14 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
i just can't imagine that as a CPO they'd not replace the engine. I'd probably be rejoicing if i were in your shoes getting a new engine on a near 60K car!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
I'm suppose to be picking up a 2005 C2S this weekend w/ a 6 year extended Fidelity warranty purchased through a local Porsche dealership. This is troubling to hear....I'm going to take a closer look at engine components covered.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by motosport3
I'm suppose to be picking up a 2005 C2S this weekend w/ a 6 year extended Fidelity warranty purchased through a local Porsche dealership. This is troubling to hear....I'm going to take a closer look at engine components covered.
Do not want to say anything bad but when I was shopping I rendered 2005 year away based solely on similar reports. At least it seems to be that after 06/2006 they have changed something in engine design. Or at least I want to hope they did.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Tcelv is infamous around these parts
Anyone had experience with Porsche on IMS failure on a 997S out of warranty?

Old 08-13-2009, 02:05 PM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Do not want to say anything bad but when I was shopping I rendered 2005 year away based solely on similar reports. At least it seems to be that after 06/2006 they have changed something in engine design. Or at least I want to hope they did.
I did a search around and while some say the IMS was revised, there are others that seem to speculate it changed so not sure if there is a clear final answer on that.

OP, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it works out.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by dcentric
i just can't imagine that as a CPO they'd not replace the engine. I'd probably be rejoicing if i were in your shoes getting a new engine on a near 60K car!
If that turns out to be the case, I'll be a happy man. But I have no idea what they will do - I'd like to think it'll be in their best interest to take care of me, but until I get that call, I'm nervous. Too many reports of folks just being thrown under the bus I suppose for me to just assume it will all work out.

Believe it or not, I'm a glass half full sort of fellow, too. I think it's just that the gaping chasm of "what if they don't?" that has me feeling so unsure.

Anyhow, I'm trying to stay positive and not think about it as much as I can (which I'm obviously not doing a very good job of). I want to make sure the Boardwalk guys have all the time they need to make a proper diagnosis, so I certainly don't want to bother them for updates. They know how to reach me and will do so when they have something to report, but folks who have been here before know how stressful this waiting period can be.

In the meantime, I have to try to stop Googling "997 engine failure" every few hours...

Old 08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Very sorry to hear. And worrisome for those of us who have older cars with no extended warranty or CPO (I didn't do enough homework when taking my initial P-car leap - mia culpa). I hope this gets resolved as many on the thread cite it will. And selfishly I hope this is a rare occurrence.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Verde, I hope you're right as well - I don't think that's selfish in the slightest.

I failed to mention in my original update that when I took the car in for the belt/pulley change, I had them install a new clutch kit at the same time (OEM). The clutch was okay, but with 55K miles it wasn't great. As I intended to enjoy this car as my daily driver for hopefully years to come, I decided the cost of a new clutch was a good idea as long as it was in there.

I'm trying to connect any possible dots at this point - I believe that the IMS is accessed there where the transmission and engine mate, is this correct? Would this have been something that could have been checked at that time during the clutch swap in an noninvasive fashion? I can't imagine any correlation between the new clutch and engine seizure 1,000 miles later, but it's also impossible for me to not prepare for scenario B, C and D as well should I get the call I don't want to receive.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 PM
avh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to all
i believe in order to change the IMS bearing, you have to remove the tranny , the clutch and the flywheele . Since they had the clutch replaced , they could've recommended an IMS bearing replacement as well.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Nexus - Be patient because you can imagine the worst case scenario when it may turn out not to be the case.

Others -I see a lot of replies saying "I'm so sorry... " etc . I never understood why people apologize for things which aren't their fault . It ranks high on my list along with "fairness" and "forgiveness" which seem to be concepts which so many fail to question and analyze.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CPO '05 C2S engine exits stage left :(