997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

CPO '05 C2S engine exits stage left :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
'(I'm) sorry to hear (that)': an expression of consolation or regret. John: e.g. My cat died last week. Jane: I am sorry to hear that. Bill: I'm afraid I won't be able to continue here as head teller. Bank manager: Sorry to hear that.
Different than:
'I'm sorry that': implies (false) personal responsibility - as you reference.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Nexus - Be patient because you can imagine the worst case scenario when it may turn out not to be the case.

Others -I see a lot of replies saying "I'm so sorry... " etc . I never understood why people apologize for things which aren't their fault . It ranks high on my list along with "fairness" and "forgiveness" which seem to be concepts which so many fail to question and analyze.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
'(I'm) sorry to hear (that)': an expression of consolation or regret. John: e.g. My cat died last week. Jane: I am sorry to hear that. Bill: I'm afraid I won't be able to continue here as head teller. Bank manager: Sorry to hear that.
Different than:
'I'm sorry that': implies (false) personal responsibility - as you reference.
I understand . The problem with the common phrase is that the word selection can attach a tone of forgiveness to a circumstance. When someone says "I'm sorry your pet died" it helps the person cope with the loss . After all .... someone apologized and even though he's not responsible the dynamics of the words create a psychological tone.

With his car .. it's a car and I see nothing forgiving in his circumstance. It's a matter of a simple fix vs a major repair . If it is simple .. that's wonderful .. game over. Ignore the rest of the post.
But if it isn't then all the sympathy in the world isn't going to sugar coat it. He needs to remember the emotional distress he is feeling now and put it to a positive use with a favorable outcome .

His car is at a dealership who up until now is ready to work with him.
His car still has CPO .
The status is unknown .

Instead of worrying he can be working on how he is going to hedge this loss if the news is not good. Since his car still has CPO that is a powerful negotiating tool in his favor . The next step is trning the negative into a positive .. which is trading the car in . That dealeship already is working with him and if he fuses sales with service they all can win .

He gets a new car with no future worry.
They can figure out how to fix it or auction it out .
They sell another unit.

And instead of sitting in denial, or worry, or being apt to forgive , he has worked through this negative hurdle and turned it into a positive for all parties involved at the least possible cost. I see no reason why this can't be achieved but it means having an assertive mindset and establishing realistic repair goals.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Fair points all. I've got little to add.
The problem with all this of course is, more like the loss of a pet, and less like a bad business decision (e.g.) is that there is an emotional component to these things. After all, they're not necessities and so, examined rationally, you'd never own one.
So once over that hurdle, all of the stuff that goes with the emotional side of the brain creeps in. For the owner and the friends and supporters of that owner.
But as you note, it is also an investment and has to be treated, when called for, as any other item of that class. With a cold, rational and dispassionate level of analysis that any other decision of this type requires.
That said, I'm a bit surprised (and I'm being completely transparent here - not sure if you're right or wrong) that your call would be to sell off the asset and move on. Seems like an expensive route to take.
Anyway, I'm done here. Let's talk about cars

I understand . The problem with the common phrase is that the word selection can attach a tone of forgiveness to a circumstance. When someone says "I'm sorry your pet died" it helps the person cope with the loss . After all .... someone apologized and even though he's not responsible the dynamics of the words create a psychological tone.

With his car .. it's a car and I see nothing forgiving in his circumstance. It's a matter of a simple fix vs a major repair . If it is simple .. that's wonderful .. game over. Ignore the rest of the post.
But if it isn't then all the sympathy in the world isn't going to sugar coat it. He needs to remember the emotional distress he is feeling now and put it to a positive use with a favorable outcome .

His car is at a dealership who up until now is ready to work with him.
His car still has CPO .
The status is unknown .

Instead of worrying he can be working on how he is going to hedge this loss if the news is not good. Since his car still has CPO that is a powerful negotiating tool in his favor . The next step is trning the negative into a positive .. which is trading the car in . That dealeship already is working with him and if he fuses sales with service they all can win .

He gets a new car with no future worry.
They can figure out how to fix it or auction it out .
They sell another unit.

And instead of sitting in denial, or worry, or being apt to forgive , he has worked through this negative hurdle and turned it into a positive for all parties involved at the least possible cost. I see no reason why this can't be achieved but it means having an assertive mindset and establishing realistic repair goals.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
That said, I'm a bit surprised (and I'm being completely transparent here - not sure if you're right or wrong) that your call would be to sell off the asset and move on. Seems like an expensive route to take.
Anyway, I'm done here. Let's talk about cars
If it's a simple fix I did say to keep it .
If it's not then one has to weigh the cost of hedging the loss here vs facing the possibility of spending a lot more time in that service drive until CPO wears out and then the expenses will pile up .

I think its cheaper to cut the loss here .
My guess is so did whoever sold that 05 car before it ended up in his possession.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
Nexus - Be patient because you can imagine the worst case scenario when it may turn out not to be the case.

Others -I see a lot of replies saying "I'm so sorry... " etc . I never understood why people apologize for things which aren't their fault . It ranks high on my list along with "fairness" and "forgiveness" which seem to be concepts which so many fail to question and analyze.

they're merely statements borne of empathy for a situation that they'd not want to be in. My first thought was "man, i'm sorry to hear that." that was until i thought about the idea of a brand, spanking new engine

Old 08-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by dcentric
they're merely statements borne of empathy for a situation that they'd not want to be in. My first thought was "man, i'm sorry to hear that." that was until i thought about the idea of a brand, spanking new engine
I just bumped up this thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-too-hot.html

A new motor is not always the end of the saga .