997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fabspeed 996 & 997 200 Cell Sport Catalytic Converter X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 PM
ak996TT is infamous around these parts
Hey all,

Here is a soundclip of my FABSPEED exhaust system ( X-pipe-Race Cats, Headers, Muffler with CAI and BMC filter) for my 08 997S

Enjoyed.

Personally, I love this exhaust system. It got power (dyno proven) and Its sound so amazing especially at full throttle. Ocassionaly ( alot of time)..people stop and ask me about the exhaust system and some say its sound better than a stock GT3.

I have No affiliation with FABSPEED. Just one happy customer...and want to share my opinion to help out the 6speeder

Alan

http://www.vimeo.com/3202368

Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
As far as the X51 headers and them be similar to the stock header..couldn:t disagree more. The 997S headers are pinched and necked down dramatically while the X51 headers are not, not to mention the port openings are quite a bit larger.
you`re exaggerating a bit here... necked dramatically... well, not that dramatically, really, plus on my 3.6L engine it would really make an effect only if you`d make it breath twice more intense, like supercharging it.

It can make some sense to try it later, but abstract potential 7hp top benefit frankly does not worth the effort IMHO. I agree it is not that problematic to install, I just do not see the point.

Quite a bit larger in flow dynamics is to be at least twice as large than original one. X51 headers aren`t near that much larger, really. Curve is smoother, but general design is pretty much the same there. Well, may be if I`ll get over my laziness, some day I will check it. For now I have a feeling it would be mostly a waste of time.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by utkinpol
you`re exaggerating a bit here... necked dramatically... well, not that dramatically, really, plus on my 3.6L engine it would really make an effect only if you`d make it breath twice more intense, like supercharging it.

It can make some sense to try it later, but abstract potential 7hp top benefit frankly does not worth the effort IMHO. I agree it is not that problematic to install, I just do not see the point.

Quite a bit larger in flow dynamics is to be at least twice as large than original one. X51 headers aren`t near that much larger, really. Curve is smoother, but general design is pretty much the same there. Well, may be if I`ll get over my laziness, some day I will check it. For now I have a feeling it would be mostly a waste of time.
Ahh, didnt know you had a non S. Headers would probably be a waste of time for your car. On the S I am not exaggerating at all. The S headers are crimped quite bad vs. the X51. If you go to AWEs website their whole exhaust system was only worth 11-12 crank hp according to them for a non S 997. To each his own..

Last edited by Dave07997S; 08-13-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
"BTW, new cars in Cali are smog exempt for the first 6 years"I was always under the impression it was 7 years as that is new car emission warranty now here in Cali.Dave
It is exempt the first 6 years and required in the 7th year of ownership.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
It is exempt the first 6 years and required in the 7th year of ownership.
Whoops..youre right. The 7th year it has to be smogged...

Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Ahh, didnt know you had a non S. Headers would probably be a waste of time for your car. On the S I am not exaggerating at all. The S headers are crimped quite bad vs. the X51. If you go to AWEs website their whole exhaust system was only worth 11-12 crank hp according to them for a non S 997. To each his own..
Exactly. But 200 cell cats should be OK. Will see, $1400 is not that bad anyway for such setup, AWE seems to be more expensive.

I think that will be the only change I`ll settle for now - K&N oil filter instead stock one in stock airbox plus those cats. Plus Softronic ECU flash. That should give a bit of immediate improvement, all subsequent steps can probably be ignored until I put supercharger in.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Exactly. But 200 cell cats should be OK. Will see, $1400 is not that bad anyway for such setup, AWE seems to be more expensive.

I think that will be the only change I`ll settle for now - K&N oil filter instead stock one in stock airbox plus those cats. Plus Softronic ECU flash. That should give a bit of immediate improvement, all subsequent steps can probably be ignored until I put supercharger in.
Did you ever think of doing a custom cat pipe vs. paying for one already made?FVD sells the metallic subtrate cats, you can go 100cpi metallic and with the software negate any CEL that may transpire. You can probably have one made custom and save quite a few bucks in the process. I know if I was to do it all again I would go this route.When I talked to AWE awhile back, he told me most of the 11-12crank hp gains came from the cats on a non S 997.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for all of the info. I'm not a native CA'ian, though I've lived here for years and should know this stuff. The six years thing sounds like some odd legislative compromise. A lot can go wrong with emissions in six years. Really weird.

First off you have to understand CARB. They are worried about emissions not just when the car is warmed up but upon cold startup. The 200cpi cats are very free flowing and upon startup the cold emission numbers wouldnt be under the limits set by CARB. The OEM cat setup is actually 4 cats. The first set is huge and quite restrictive as it allows the cats to heat up quickly for cold startup compliance. With the 200cpi cats you are reducing your cat count to just 2. The OEM setup has 2 cats per canister, if you look at them you will see they are a staggered setup with the larger one in front of the smaller one. It is never legal to replace a fully functioning catalytic converter in a car in Ca. Now why that wouldnt stop me...Ca. law requires that a car only be smogged when new after the 7th year or upon change of ownership. If you bought a 2005 997S it was only required to smog the car upon title change. After that you shoudnt have to smog again until 2012. I bought my car in 2007 and I wont have to smog it until 2014. In Ca. the smog is done on a chassis dyno with the car up to full temp, meaning even with a car equipped with 200cpi cats they should now be up to temp and working properly to reduce HCs and such and it should pass...barely. Thats why I tell people to save their OEM cats just in case.One other thing...an Xpipe is actually going to be more subdued than the non Xpipe cats. Xpipes reduce the overall db by a pretty good amount vs. the non xpipe cats. So if you are worried about noise, going the xpipe route maybe a good answer.Sorry if their are weird typos..I am in Japan using a Japanese keyboard and I am getting metacarpal tunnel syndrome using this damm thing. Its a tiny keyboard and its doing weird things."BTW, new cars in Cali are smog exempt for the first 6 years"I was always under the impression it was 7 years as that is new car emission warranty now here in Cali.Dave

Old 08-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
There is much talk about what's Carb legal and what's not. In CA, it states it is illegal to remove the catalytic converter from any car but we have Porsche owners doing it every day with no problems at all. The 200 Cell sport cats comply the Porsche warranty and will pass all emissions and inspection requirements.
Our X Pipe design is different than our competitors and that is why it makes power in specific areas when theirs doesn't. The new design makes 12 to almost 14 HP at the top end and bout 4-7 ft. Lbs of Torque. The new design also sounds sportier and more aggressive then our previous crossover design.

I attached a link below of the car on the Dyno, but this car also has our Sport Headers, X Pipe Sport Cat and Maxflo Mufflers with the 997 conversion.
http://www.fabspeed.com/videos/997%20Carrera%20GT3%20Conversion%20Dyno.wmv

The link below has Dyno Results showing the comparison of where the car made the additional HP with the X Pipe Cats over the crossover cats on our 997 conversion setup.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-vendor-classifieds/161509-fabspeed-997gt3-tailpipe-conversion-kit.html

Old 08-14-2009, 02:00 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Found a pic of stock 'S' headers vs. 'X51' headers...adding X51 to the mod list

Attached Images   
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I've been told by reputable sources that the stock headers are pretty good. Replacing them will increase noise and give small small gains, not worth it IMO (unless you're tracking it). The real gains come from the cats and this looks like a nice setup. Can't wait to hear the clip.
Actually the design of the Stock Headers are terrible... They are really restrictive. The X51 headers on the other hand are much less restrictive. They are much cheaper than other Aftermarket Headers and provide pretty much the same HP. I have it on my car and did not change the sound much but I can feel that they are less restrictive from the throttle response

Here's a picture I found of the stock headers from Sharkwerks:

Old 08-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by sin911
Actually the design of the Stock Headers are terrible...
I agree, my original post was information I had received about 3.6L stock headers not the 3.8L. Didn't mean to cause confusion.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM
sin911 - I noticed you have X51 headers and PSE. Do you have 200 cell cats or still running stock? I'm considering X51 headers and the FabSpeed X-pipe but am concerned how it will sound with PSE. I want it a little bit louder than it is now, but don't want droning in the cab and I'm not interested in sounding like a cup car. I also don't want to lose my investment in PSE to buy new mufflers. Do you have a sound clip of your car?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:54 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
sin911 - I noticed you have X51 headers and PSE. Do you have 200 cell cats or still running stock? I'm considering X51 headers and the FabSpeed X-pipe but am concerned how it will sound with PSE. I want it a little bit louder than it is now, but don't want droning in the cab and I'm not interested in sounding like a cup car. I also don't want to lose my investment in PSE to buy new mufflers. Do you have a sound clip of your car?
I am running Stock Cats, the car actually sounds lovely... I had the Vacuum Hose unplugged I love how the PSE sounds when it is in Sport Mode, I wanted it on all the time! The X51 headers did not make the sound much different, just a bit throatier. I don't have any droning in the cabin. It added a little performance to the car, you can feel it if you are really careful.

I too did not want to spend money on an Aftermarket Muffler, since I had PSE from factory. I just had the tips Ceramic Coated. I did not like the PSE exhaust tips, the ceramic coating made a huge difference as well

The Cats make huge difference (in sound & performance), the cats are the parts that make the car sound like a cup car I am not sure how a 997S equipped PSE & X51 would sound with Cats, so I did not go for it... There was a video posted on a thread. The guy had PSE, X51 & AWE Cats. Did not sound like it was for my taste, but to each is own...

Here's the thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/180179-my-little-track-video-200-cell-awe-display.html

Sinan

Old 08-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info, post a pic of your ceramic tips please .

Here is a better and obvious huge differences pic of the headers:

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed 996 & 997 200 Cell Sport Catalytic Converter X-Pipe