997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fabspeed 996 & 997 200 Cell Sport Catalytic Converter X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
So, Alex, that low bass roar at 3K or so when engine is under load - is it mostly due to cats or due to mufflers design? I also feel more vibration than usual now, not sure what the heck... It probably because rods are touching mufflers, not sure. Overall you got great design for this system, but those rods are definitely a weakest link.

I wanted to avoid cutting anything, if possible, but as it seems it will be tricky to fit stock mufflers with xpipe cats. I figure there is no adapter for that - the only way is to cut?
I would drive the car some more and put more miles on the system to let everything settle in and I think you will really enjoy the upgraded exhaust.
Remember anytime you install a new exhaust, you must go back after a few days and check all the connections and retighten everything. Because when it heats up and cools down, things expand and contract, so hardware may loosen up a little. This should eliminate anything coming loose or moving.
Thanks,

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 08-21-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:01 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Verde
Is there any way to measure/describe/convey how much louder this setup is than the car with just Fabspeed mufflers - on a 997S? This design seems very interesting, but I don't want to end up with an unacceptably loud car. Love the Fabspeed mufflers on my cab though but need to keep my car civilized.
So, I have some developments. First of all - it is a MUST to fix those rods and do not let them touch mufflers. Did that, it completely eliminated 'kidney massage'. Also - my Porsche stock clamps that bind muffler and cats pipes developed a bend in the area where bolt tightens it up. Curve was about of 1.5mm in size and plenty of exhaust was streaming there. So I spend almost 2.5 hours trying to fix it, then had to go for new bolts and nuts, then disassembled that clamp, rotated inner copper elements 180 degrees so now driver side no longer doing it, passenger side does a little but tiny fraction from what it was.

Overall it resulted in probably good 1/3 if not half reduced noise inside of the car. I can say - it very civilized and not annoying. It just apparently has to be done properly.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:18 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alex@Fabspeed
I would drive the car some more and put more miles on the system to let everything settle in and I think you will really enjoy the upgraded exhaust.
Remember anytime you install a new exhaust, you must go back after a few days and check all the connections and retighten everything. Because when it heats up and cools down, things expand and contract, so hardware may loosen up a little. This should eliminate anything coming loose or moving.
Thanks,
Sure Alex, it makes total sense.

Could you please ship me (if you have them) clamps that hook mufflers to cats as stock Porsche clamps apparently cannot be reused - they are bended and let exhaust gas to leak from that connection. It probably would be great to include those new clamps into package by default. I spent probably good 5 hours total today and yesterday fighting those clamps alone - if I would have a replacement I would simply cut it off from pipes and saved a ton of time.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:41 PM
GaryRes is infamous around these parts
I have a 997C2S Cab with fab speed mufflers, cats and air intake, and K&N. In my opinion, its what a 911 should sound like. The stock exhaust is way too quiet. A G20 and F45 is louder! I want my 911 to sound as close to a Ferrari as possible. I bought a 911, to do everything right including sound. Its a sports car damm it! Whats better then startring to accelerate and you hear that rummble of the exhaust! It was also a pleasure dealing with the guys at Fab Speed. Very helpful. I know that they state that there is an increase in HP. Its difficult to tell. But the sound definitley gives you that impression. The sound alone is worth it. I have had other Porsches (and Ferrari's). I love this setup. What was important to me was that it didn't sound like a Civic. I was concerned. But that initial drive, and every drive after...puts a smile on my face. I will own many 911's and unless Porsche changes the exhaust to be a little louder, then all my future 911's will be Fab Speed. I'm on Long Island. If anyone wants to hear it shoot me an e-mail. I was recently looking to purchase a Z8. The first thing I looked into was if Fab speed manufactured a system for the car.

Last edited by GaryRes; 08-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Well, do you also have 200 cell cats?
No...read my 1st sentance again...I said I JUST had Fabspeed mufflers. I had stock headers and cats due to the word "just". I used the word "had" to tell you I no longer have this system or car.

As for the vibrations go take a look at the tube strut that is behind the rear tire that braces the lower quarter panel. It comes real close to the muffler. If it touches the muffler you will be surprised by how much vibration is transmitted.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mdrums; 08-22-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
No...read my 1st sentance again...I said I JUST had Fabspeed mufflers. That should tell you that I had stock heards and cats due to the word "just". I used the word "had" to tell you I no longer have this system or car.
I have no interest to guess who had just what. That was just a simple question, so if you`re not inclined anymore to continue a polite adult conversation - turn your head to the mirror and express all your JUSTs and HADs to your own reflection. I am not interested to hear all this nonsense.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-22-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by GaryRes
I have a 997C2S Cab with fab speed mufflers, cats and air intake, and K&N. In my opinion, its what a 911 should sound like. The stock exhaust is way too quiet.
I agree, sound is perfect. Only issue I still have is to tighten up clamps around muffler pipes perfectly so it would eliminate any exhaust gas leaks.

Last edited by utkinpol; 08-22-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:45 PM
GaryRes is infamous around these parts
When I 1st installed it, I didn't have any gas leaks but I did have a little vibration. Which my mechanic tighten some clamps and it went away. I actually wish the low end noise would be there after 5 grand. It fades after that. If anyone is interested, cruising at a steady 75 its pretty quiet from the exhaust. At that speed the crappy run flats make more noise!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I have no interest to guess who had just what. That was just a simple question, so if you`re not inclined anymore to continue a polite adult conversation - turn your head to the mirror and express all your JUSTs and HADs to your own reflection. I am not interested to hear all this nonsense.
Oh, taking the Lords name in vain huh? I was trying to explain myself and also help you out. Geesh!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-22-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: if you don't like it...don't quote it
Old 08-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
let's get back on topic and leave personalities out of this please

Old 09-19-2009, 12:49 PM
bakers911 is infamous around these parts
I am new to the tuning game but researching mods for 05 997s. Thinking of just starting with Fabspeed performance package. Do I understand correctly that all you really need is the sport cats and mufler and that the OEM headers are fine? And seems top be 50/50 out there on whether or not a remapped ECU is worth it? Any experiences would be appreciated.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:10 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dave07997s
i was along the same thought..thats why i went with the x51 headers. They are oem and they offer the same improvement i feel that any header would offer. Not to mention they can be had new for under $600.

where can i get the x51 headers from for under $600?

Old 09-19-2009, 03:31 PM
wdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the rough
bakers911 -- my personal experience on this one.

1. the cats seem to add some oomph to the system, but man, you gotta have one SENSITIVE hind side to feel it. You can hear the sound change, and if you do the cats only, it's personal preference on how they work with the stock cans. There absolutely is some resonance, it's different from tuned sound you get with the car stock, and it's just going to be up to you on how much you like it. A lot of folks can't even hear the resonance, but trust me, it's there.

2. ECU re-map ... what can I say, I have fun with mine, but I bought my car before I knew jack about what options I actually wanted, and I missed something critical. The re-map took care of that for me. Eventually I'm going to make it to a dyno (missed my last chance) and I'll be able to see if these mods added up or if they just made me have some fun.

Regardless, unless you can quantify what you are doing, I wouldn't go by any raw numbers published anywhere. Just get the things that are fun for you and have a good time with it. Focus on stuff that you can quantify, like the feeling of having sport mode on a car without sport chrono, or the feeling of hearing the raw sound coming out of your car when you open it up. And trust me, your butt dyno is going to always tell you that you did the right thing unless the car is running like crap!

Old 09-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by bakers911
I am new to the tuning game but researching mods for 05 997s. Thinking of just starting with Fabspeed performance package. Do I understand correctly that all you really need is the sport cats and mufler and that the OEM headers are fine? And seems top be 50/50 out there on whether or not a remapped ECU is worth it? Any experiences would be appreciated.
You have an 'S' car, so, no - you do need either X51 or Fabspeed headers to get maximum benefit. My car is a base C2 and its stock headers are OK.

As your car is `05 - again, it may become a problem to undo those bolts from engine block - they are probably completely rusty now if you do have original stock headers there. To brake off heads from those bolts would be, well, quite unpleasant.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
where can i get the x51 headers from for under $600?
Hold your horses - you have brand new 997.2 car? It has different exhaust from 997.1 - search back to new threads from sponsors here advertising new exhaust designs for 2009 cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed 996 & 997 200 Cell Sport Catalytic Converter X-Pipe