997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fabspeed 996 & 997 200 Cell Sport Catalytic Converter X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:50 AM
bakers911 is infamous around these parts
thanks for the good info.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:54 AM
good point on the bolts, will check on that, hope not a problem only have 15k miles so far but time to start driving like it was made for.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
where can i get the x51 headers from for under $600?

Prices went up sorry..they are just under $700 at Suncoast Porsche..a sponsor of this board.

Dave

Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bakers911
good point on the bolts, will check on that, hope not a problem only have 15k miles so far but time to start driving like it was made for.
Just be careful or get it done somewhere where you`ll not have to pay for fixing up all potential damage.

On my cats when I had to separate them from headers I broke off 4 bolts out of 6. Still do not know where can I depress those broken bolts heads from my stock cats.

All headers bolts on my car were in much worse condition than bolts on cats so I would presume it would result in same disaster if I tried to apply brute force to them. It is always like that - too little force will round up bolt head, too much force will break it off. Some folks tell like torching those bolts until they get solid red then start unscrewing `em when reddish tint is almost gone. But I would not do it to my engine without severe enough reason.

So, if you choose on doing headers - proceed with caution. May be your car is not in such dramatic condition after all and those bolts will go, but well, just be ready for possible complications.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I'm about to embark on a header swap and am very concerned about the header bolt issue. One (very informed) 6speeder even recommended that I gently give it a try and if they don't give, just put my wrench down and step away from the car. Too much complexity and expense in repairing a damaged head bolt. I've soaked my bolts with some wd-40-like substance 3 times in the past week. We'll soon see.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Was wondering if I could do a minor hijacking of this thread...
I'm in the middle of replacing the headers on my car. I've been warned that the header bolts can freeze to the block, and can break off if forced. I've spent the last week or two repeatedly lube-ing the bolts, as well as those on the cat side. Today I went out to begin the swap. Good news is that I was able to loosen all of the header bolts. Quite a relief.
However, after applying some light pressure to two of the cat-side nuts, both snapped off of the bolt. So, the question is whether the cat-side header bolts are tack welded in place or can be 'pushed' out (they have a flat head)? I tried gently tapping out the two sheared shafts but they didn't seem to move. Thought I'd check here. Bummer.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:07 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Verde
Was wondering if I could do a minor hijacking of this thread...
I'm in the middle of replacing the headers on my car. I've been warned that the header bolts can freeze to the block, and can break off if forced. I've spent the last week or two repeatedly lube-ing the bolts, as well as those on the cat side. Today I went out to begin the swap. Good news is that I was able to loosen all of the header bolts. Quite a relief.
However, after applying some light pressure to two of the cat-side nuts, both snapped off of the bolt. So, the question is whether the cat-side header bolts are tack welded in place or can be 'pushed' out (they have a flat head)? I tried gently tapping out the two sheared shafts but they didn't seem to move. Thought I'd check here. Bummer.
Heh-he. So you broke off cat nuts off those bolts too? Bolt heads are hot-pressed into cats. I found no way to extract them out yet, hammering and big grip vice all was useless. Good thing is - on all aftermarket cats those bolts are not pressed in, so you will simply use different hardware.

What to do with stock ones is up to you. Mine will rot in basement probably forever now as I am not going to take it to pro shop and pay top $ for extraction.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Not good for me. I was planning on using the stock cats. Need some help here!!

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Heh-he. So you broke off cat nuts off those bolts too? Bolt heads are hot-pressed into cats. I found no way to extract them out yet, hammering and big grip vice all was useless. Good thing is - on all aftermarket cats those bolts are not pressed in, so you will simply use different hardware.

What to do with stock ones is up to you. Mine will rot in basement probably forever now as I am not going to take it to pro shop and pay top $ for extraction.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Verde
Not good for me. I was planning on using the stock cats. Need some help here!!
Heck with stock cats - get Fabspeed 200 cell Xpipe. Or AWE if your mufflers from AWE. It will be great,

Just don`t forget to reset ECU after hi flow cats install. Why to go half way if you already released header bolts? There is no way back, man.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:53 PM
mkk62 is infamous around these parts
i have 997s with fabspeed headers and muffler....wondering how much louder adding the 200 cell cats would be...i love the sound now but wouldn't mind a few extra hp ( to keep up with MDRUMS ont the track who btw is a nice fella, probably just a few typos on his comments) and a little more sound ...now i push my car out of the garage and down the hill so i don't wake the babies...wondering if i will have to push the car down the block with the cats.....
has anyone gone from fabspeed mufflers then added cats?
thanks
mk

Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mkk62
i have 997s with fabspeed headers and muffler....wondering how much louder adding the 200 cell cats would be...i love the sound now but wouldn't mind a few extra hp ( to keep up with MDRUMS ont the track who btw is a nice fella, probably just a few typos on his comments) and a little more sound ...now i push my car out of the garage and down the hill so i don't wake the babies...wondering if i will have to push the car down the block with the cats.....
has anyone gone from fabspeed mufflers then added cats?
thanks
mk
Hi mkk, the X Pipe sport cat will increase the sound a little but it will make the sound more sportier and really unique. It makes a nice increase in power and torque through the RPM range and the sound is just awesome. PM or email me if you have any questions. I will take $100 off the X Pipe and free shipping if you are interested.
Thanks,

Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by sin911
I am running Stock Cats, the car actually sounds lovely... I had the Vacuum Hose unplugged I love how the PSE sounds when it is in Sport Mode, I wanted it on all the time! The X51 headers did not make the sound much different, just a bit throatier. I don't have any droning in the cabin. It added a little performance to the car, you can feel it if you are really careful.

I too did not want to spend money on an Aftermarket Muffler, since I had PSE from factory. I just had the tips Ceramic Coated. I did not like the PSE exhaust tips, the ceramic coating made a huge difference as well

The Cats make huge difference (in sound & performance), the cats are the parts that make the car sound like a cup car I am not sure how a 997S equipped PSE & X51 would sound with Cats, so I did not go for it... There was a video posted on a thread. The guy had PSE, X51 & AWE Cats. Did not sound like it was for my taste, but to each is own...

Here's the thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/180179-my-little-track-video-200-cell-awe-display.html

Sinan
did you purchase the X51's from the dealer and have them install? My parts guy at dealer was concerned as he said he did not have anything telling him what else he needed to complete an effective install of the x51's on my 997s? Any advice?
Thanks

Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bakers911
did you purchase the X51's from the dealer and have them install? My parts guy at dealer was concerned as he said he did not have anything telling him what else he needed to complete an effective install of the x51's on my 997s? Any advice?
Thanks
http://www.e-partssales.com/miva/mer...ory_Code=997sp

Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks

Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Don`t forget to put anti-sieze or nev-r-seez lubricant on new header bolts prior to putting new headers on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed 996 & 997 200 Cell Sport Catalytic Converter X-Pipe