997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fabspeed 996 & 997 200 Cell Sport Catalytic Converter X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Fabspeed 996 & 997 200 Cell Sport Catalytic Converter X-Pipe

Fabspeed new 996 and 997 200 Cell Sport Cats have been redesigned into a single piece that incorporates a Lost wax Cast Stainless steel X Pipe to increase power and Torque and then we use 200 cell HJS Race catalytic converters which comply with emissions and No check engine lights. The new X-Pipe Sport cats make an additional 14+ HP/3 Ft. Lbs TQ over the previous design and also sounds more sportier and aggressive. The new design also looks nicer under the car and fits like OEM.
  • $1495 and all 6speed members receive a $100 discount (First 3 Buyers will also get free shipping in the US)
  • Fits all 996 and 997 cars.
  • High Quality T304 SS C.N.C. mandrel bent tubing for maximum exhaust flow.
  • High Flow 200 Cell HJS Sports Racing catalytic converters for less restriction and more power and sports car sound. Fits all cars worldwide.
  • Simple bolt-on direct replacement for the factory OEM Porsche catalytic converters.
Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 08-13-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:43 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Got a sound clip for us? Would these be recommended bolted up to the stock headers and mufflers?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:44 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Are these CARB certified to be legal in California?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Wow - this is very interesting.

What is the benefit of the crossover pipe?

Would you say this is louder, same or softer than your existing design for 997 (two separate 200 cell cats)?

Many thanks

Old 08-13-2009, 02:59 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Got a sound clip for us? Would these be recommended bolted up to the stock headers and mufflers?
Well, as I was looking to replace stock cats anyway I decided to get this one, should be no worse than any other anyway, so when I`ll get it - will record a clip for you.

Still cannot decide on practicality to replace headers. Looking at all those designs of sport headers I do not see (theoretically) a ground for much improvement over stock ones.
Generally they are same design pipes, perhaps a little bit thicker, but just a little bit.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:05 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I've been told by reputable sources that the stock headers are pretty good. Replacing them will increase noise and give small small gains, not worth it IMO (unless you're tracking it). The real gains come from the cats and this looks like a nice setup. Can't wait to hear the clip.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:57 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Expecting once Fabspeed gets back online, we should get a clip from them...
thanks for the offer! You went ahead and order anyway?!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
Are these CARB certified to be legal in California?
These will never be CARB legal...didnt stop me though from replacing my cats. Just keep the OEM ones just in case.Dave

Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Well, as I was looking to replace stock cats anyway I decided to get this one, should be no worse than any other anyway, so when I`ll get it - will record a clip for you.

Still cannot decide on practicality to replace headers. Looking at all those designs of sport headers I do not see (theoretically) a ground for much improvement over stock ones.
Generally they are same design pipes, perhaps a little bit thicker, but just a little bit.
I was along the same thought..thats why I went with the X51 headers. They are OEM and they offer the same improvement I feel that any header would offer. Not to mention they can be had new for under $600.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Gundo
Wow - this is very interesting.

What is the benefit of the crossover pipe?

Would you say this is louder, same or softer than your existing design for 997 (two separate 200 cell cats)?

Many thanks
The X crossover in theory would be fine on a V type motor. The H6 or pancake 6 motors from all that I have read dont respond the same way. From my understanding the X pipe is actually more restrictive on these cars then the non xpipe. With a front engine car the Xpipe is usually 2\3s the way down the exhaust path. With the 911s this isnt the case and the firing order doesnt mix well with the x pipe. For Fabspeed to say it offers an additional 14hp over their non xpipe version of the 200cpi catted pipes seems far feteched.Dave

Old 08-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Why wouldn't they be CARB-legal? By that you mean that they would not pass an emissions inspection? If they don't pass, why use them at all? Or is it just an issue specific to CA?
My concern is how much louder they'd make my Fabspeed muffled car. I'd love to try to get a bit more power by using these and a nice set of headers. But not if it would be much louder. Opinions?
By the way, I've been very impressed with the construction quality of my mufflers. These look like they're built to the same standard. So tempting....

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
These will never be CARB legal...didnt stop me though from replacing my cats. Just keep the OEM ones just in case.Dave

Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I was along the same thought..thats why I went with the X51 headers. They are OEM and they offer the same improvement I feel that any header would offer. Not to mention they can be had new for under $600.
My feeling is that improvement from headers on my C2 would be mostly virtual than practical, X51 headers aren`t that marginally different from stock ones, really. I do not expect any real benefit from this mod. Replacing cats to 200 cell actually should make some improvement.

As of X pipe on plain H6 - pipe sits after cats there, so I do not think it will actually have much interference with firing order or else there. I do not think that its presence affects anything much at all, actually, other than making some sound side effects. It would be other story if it would be there before cats, but it is behind. Well, I may be wrong about it, but it did not raise any concern in my head. Do you have any specific reason to suspect it may mess up anything?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Verde
Why wouldn't they be CARB-legal? By that you mean that they would not pass an emissions inspection? ...
CARB is specific to California. It has nothing to do with emissions in the sense that the car will pass the tailpipe tests. California will fail you if you have anything that hasn't been tested and proved ok by them and stamped with a CARB sticker. Their tests include cold starting, under load, etc., not just tailpipe. This goes for headers, cats, cai, any mod that affects emissions. No CARB sticker and you will fail. They are even considering having auto manufacturers embed approval numbers into the products so people can't fabricate the stickers and a visual inspection will be easier to detect the mods.

If you buy these mods you have two options:

1) Find a smog cert center to 'overlook' it (not likely as smog license is big $$$ )
2) Swap back the original parts, smog it, then put them back on

BTW, new cars in Cali are smog exempt for the first 6 years

Old 08-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
My feeling is that improvement from headers on my C2 would be mostly virtual than practical, X51 headers aren`t that marginally different from stock ones, really. I do not expect any real benefit from this mod. Replacing cats to 200 cell actually should make some improvement.

As of X pipe on plain H6 - pipe sits after cats there, so I do not think it will actually have much interference with firing order or else there. I do not think that its presence affects anything much at all, actually, other than making some sound side effects. It would be other story if it would be there before cats, but it is behind. Well, I may be wrong about it, but it did not raise any concern in my head. Do you have any specific reason to suspect it may mess up anything?
All Xpipes come after the cats, even on front engined cars. I am just regurgitating info here as I am not a mechanical engineer nor do I fully understand flow dynamics. I am a firm believer in xpipes though as I have seen first hand gains over a catted hpipe vs. a catted xpipe on Mustang Cobras, but not on rear engined 911s. The issue regarding the firing order was brought up by Todd at AWE, I know a competitor with Fabpspeed and he showed a loss of a couple of hp vs. the traditional setup using the HJS 200cpi cats. As far as the X51 headers and them be similar to the stock header..couldn:t disagree more. The 997S headers are pinched and necked down dramatically while the X51 headers are not, not to mention the port openings are quite a bit larger. Obviously Porsche saw fit to install these headers on the X51 package as they saw a benefit. AWE did a test on their full length headers vs. the OEM headers and saw 7rwhp on a car that had their mufflers and cats. I feel the X51 would perform nearly the same but at a fraction of the cost. As far as a hassle intalling them it isnt. I installed the whole exhaust system which included removal and installation of the new parts in just 3 hours on my back with the car on thick phonebooks. The 997 has to be one of the easiest cars to work on. It took me a whole weekend and a trip to the chiropractor to do the install of a set of headers, cats and midpipe on my E46M3. I like to do the work myself when I can. I found the Pcar immensly easy to work on.Dave

Old 08-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Verde
Why wouldn't they be CARB-legal? By that you mean that they would not pass an emissions inspection? If they don't pass, why use them at all? Or is it just an issue specific to CA?
My concern is how much louder they'd make my Fabspeed muffled car. I'd love to try to get a bit more power by using these and a nice set of headers. But not if it would be much louder. Opinions?
By the way, I've been very impressed with the construction quality of my mufflers. These look like they're built to the same standard. So tempting....
First off you have to understand CARB. They are worried about emissions not just when the car is warmed up but upon cold startup. The 200cpi cats are very free flowing and upon startup the cold emission numbers wouldnt be under the limits set by CARB. The OEM cat setup is actually 4 cats. The first set is huge and quite restrictive as it allows the cats to heat up quickly for cold startup compliance. With the 200cpi cats you are reducing your cat count to just 2. The OEM setup has 2 cats per canister, if you look at them you will see they are a staggered setup with the larger one in front of the smaller one. It is never legal to replace a fully functioning catalytic converter in a car in Ca. Now why that wouldnt stop me...Ca. law requires that a car only be smogged when new after the 7th year or upon change of ownership. If you bought a 2005 997S it was only required to smog the car upon title change. After that you shoudnt have to smog again until 2012. I bought my car in 2007 and I wont have to smog it until 2014. In Ca. the smog is done on a chassis dyno with the car up to full temp, meaning even with a car equipped with 200cpi cats they should now be up to temp and working properly to reduce HCs and such and it should pass...barely. Thats why I tell people to save their OEM cats just in case.One other thing...an Xpipe is actually going to be more subdued than the non Xpipe cats. Xpipes reduce the overall db by a pretty good amount vs. the non xpipe cats. So if you are worried about noise, going the xpipe route maybe a good answer.Sorry if their are weird typos..I am in Japan using a Japanese keyboard and I am getting metacarpal tunnel syndrome using this damm thing. Its a tiny keyboard and its doing weird things."BTW, new cars in Cali are smog exempt for the first 6 years"I was always under the impression it was 7 years as that is new car emission warranty now here in Cali.Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 08-13-2009 at 08:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed 996 & 997 200 Cell Sport Catalytic Converter X-Pipe