997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Multifunction steering wheel - DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:51 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Multifunction steering wheel - DIY

Hi,

Have anyone tried DIY of multifunction steering wheel as a replacement of regular non-multifunction one?

I am not sure - does Porsche 997.1 have all required internal wiring for wheel buttons in steering column or should it be installed from a scratch? If it should be installed - have anyone did this? What should be taken off to get it done? Is there a write-up for this, anywhere?

Old 08-22-2009, 01:11 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
I have not but as someone who owns a car with multi-function wheel I think it is over rated and something I would not pay for again.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:33 PM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
I remember seeing step by step some time ago but I'm not sure where. If I had to guess I'd say renntech.org

This is what i found quickly, http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...steering+wheel

Somewhere there's more.

Try further searching

Old 08-22-2009, 03:28 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MLindgren
I have not but as someone who owns a car with multi-function wheel I think it is over rated and something I would not pay for again.
The only reason why I suggest this job is because it is highly inconvenient to operate those tiny 'forward' and 'back' buttons in the numeric keypad to operate on selections of cd tracks/albums - with mobridge I have to press them for 2-3 seconds to confirm album selection and it is quite inconvenient while driving, I assumed it will be mapped to steering wheel buttons on multifunction one.

What is kinda odd it was mentioned in PCM guide that selection should also be possible to make with 'mouse style double click' of PCM right selector **** but it does not work at all in my car for some reason. So I have to press and hold that 'fast forward' button to confirm selection.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Stockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really nice
Swap is easy. If you have triangular airbag wheel, all you need it MF pads and harness from Suncoast. Cost is about $300. Make sure you disconnect negative battery terminal!

The only tools you'll need is T-25 (might be T-20) to install pods, T-55 socket bit to remove wheel, 5mm (or so) Allen key to push through bottom of wheel to release airbag, and 10mm wrench for battery terminal.

With all that said, not sure how MF controls will work with Mobridge. I just ordered their IPod/bluetooth unit and should be able to tell you be next weekend.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
You would be a bit in luck, I understand you can buy the harness to go with the wheel, not just the wheel alone. You are looking at a $1k plus upgrade because you will need the airbag too. I have one. The only real control is the volume ****. The ride side button changes the screen, but doens't seem to control any functions, like change the radio channel. Someone tell me if it's programmable!
THe other buttons control the phone fuctions, whcih I don't have in my car.
Not worth the money IMO. I'd sooner get a TechArt wheel or have a place wrap my current wheel in Alcantara.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:17 AM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ryem3
You would be a bit in luck, I understand you can buy the harness to go with the wheel, not just the wheel alone. You are looking at a $1k plus upgrade because you will need the airbag too. I have one. The only real control is the volume ****. The ride side button changes the screen, but doens't seem to control any functions, like change the radio channel. Someone tell me if it's programmable!
THe other buttons control the phone fuctions, whcih I don't have in my car.
Not worth the money IMO. I'd sooner get a TechArt wheel or have a place wrap my current wheel in Alcantara.
The buttons are programable somewhere in PCM.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:01 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
this might help with installation:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-removal.html

Old 08-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by stevepow
Yep, thanks, I saw it before... I wonder now if those buttons could be mapped to those I need for track/album selection, otherwise this initiative has no sense whatsoever... Phone buttons are actually extremely conveniently located so I have no issues with those and see no reasons to have them on a wheel.
Only problem there is a selection process itself.

No one also answered what was that thing with 'double click' in Porsche PCM manual. I tried to 'double click' at everything I had in the car with no success whatsoever. Just curious.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:00 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
There's no double-click in my manual that I find - wish I had a PDF - would be a heck of a lot easier to search through. Maybe they changed that d-click for 997.2?

Mostly the wheel buttons duplicate the PCM (volume, scroll/enter, answer call, end call, back, screen), except for the screen button.

As for programming, you can program the "Screen" button to go to you favorite "Screen", but that's it. Pretty remedial feature set; no track up/track down unless you go to that screen, scroll the track, then press the scroll button (enter).

Last edited by stevepow; 08-23-2009 at 04:02 PM.