997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Important Is PASM and How Big Is The Dropoff In Braking From A Carrera 2 to a 2s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Slapshot is infamous around these partsSlapshot is infamous around these parts
How Important Is PASM and How Big Is The Dropoff In Braking From A Carrera 2 to a 2s?

As the title says, I could use some input from those of you who can comment on those two things.

I'm going to hopefully purchase a 2005-2006 911 Carrera 997, and have looked at a number of vehicles that lacks only PASM of the options I want. I've previously spoken to several members of the Porsche club here and they all feel PASM is a very important option to have. Of course, none of them are available at the moment, now that I need to know more.

I've also driven a 2s (but not a Carrera 2) and loved the brakes. Which is, of course, making me wonder how big the dropoff in braking is from a 2s to a 2?

I would really like to purchase a 2s, but the I'm beginning to think that cost difference between it and the standard Carrera 2 is just outside my financial capability. At least without getting a bit risky since I would have to also pay 6% state sales tax, and immediately rush out and pay for an extended warranty on top of the purchase price.

I think I could live without the added horsepower of the 2s, as this is intended to be en everyday driver 7 months of the year, and very rarely ever tracked, but wonder how much I would be giving up in braking and PASM with a Carrera 2.

Thanks very much for any help with this.

John

Old 08-22-2009, 06:35 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slapshot
As the title says, I could use some input from those of you who can comment on those two things.

I'm going to hopefully purchase a 2005-2006 911 Carrera 997, and have looked at a number of vehicles that lacks only PASM of the options I want. I've previously spoken to several members of the Porsche club here and they all feel PASM is a very important option to have. Of course, none of them are available at the moment, now that I need to know more.

I've also driven a 2s (but not a Carrera 2) and loved the brakes. Which is, of course, making me wonder how big the dropoff in braking is from a 2s to a 2?

I would really like to purchase a 2s, but the I'm beginning to think that cost difference between it and the standard Carrera 2 is just outside my financial capability. At least without getting a bit risky since I would have to also pay 6% state sales tax, and immediately rush out and pay for an extended warranty on top of the purchase price.

I think I could live without the added horsepower of the 2s, as this is intended to be en everyday driver 7 months of the year, and very rarely ever tracked, but wonder how much I would be giving up in braking and PASM with a Carrera 2.

Thanks very much for any help with this.

John
I`ll make it simple for you - if you find CPO C2 of same year, options as CPO C2S but for $10K+ cheaper - go after that C2.
In all other scenarios - get C2S.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I have driven both the Carrera and Carrera S at the track. The power and brakes on the S are much more powerful. to me the S version is worth it. I do not know how else to tell you. I suggest you go drive both cars back to back and decide for your self.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
It $7-10K price difference on the C2S vs the C2 . One can always add brakes and suspension upgrades but getting the right car out of the gate can hedge some of this .

The C2 is a very respectable car . The hardest part is deciding and wrestling with both your wallet and emotions .

If you get the base 997 --you may wonder about the 's" .
If you get the "s" - you will not wonder about the base 997.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:13 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
I cannot stress this enough,

Buy the most Porsche you can for the money you have. No one "needs" a Porsche so making this a decision of "wants" versus "needs" will leave you with regrets.

Whats my point? You should stretch and get the C2S you really want and avoid any regrets you may have later.

But dont fret if the C2 is the max you can afford. I test drove both and on the street the differences are minimal. In fact the 3.6 is a peppier, rev happy engine when compared to the 3.8 despite its 30hp deficit.

Jason

Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
It $7-10K price difference on the C2S vs the C2 . One can always add brakes and suspension upgrades but getting the right car out of the gate can hedge some of this .

The C2 is a very respectable car . The hardest part is deciding and wrestling with both your wallet and emotions .

If you get the base 997 --you may wonder about the 's" .
If you get the "s" - you will not wonder about the base 997.
Larry, I seriously love your comments... I agree with you, yet again!

You can always get bigger Brakes and better Suspension, but you can not get 30 more HP out of a 911 C2 spending that amount of money... I personally think that the C2S is so much worth the money.

I test drove a C2 before I bought my car, and it was relatively slower. The power difference is a good thing. The brakes are bigger which is an advantage on the track. I don't care about PASM so much to be honest since I am going to install Coilovers on my car...

If you can get the 911 C2S, if you can not afford one right now wait a while before you can afford one... If you really don't want to pay the extra $ and do not think it is worth it then you can go ahead and buy the C2

Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
As a daily driver the standard brakes on the non S are much more than you would ever need. I would concentrate on which car is in the best condition and price. If it is an S, you get some extra goodies.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Regarding PASM, I have ans S and the PASM gives amlittel better ride than the standard suspenion in the non S. The sport mode for PASM is , in my opinion, too harsh for all but the smoothest roads. Also, if getting a non S, if it has 19" wheels, make sure it also has PASM. 19" wheels without PASM is not a good idea in my opinion.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Do you really want the slower car?

Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Let me take another tack here. From your comments, it seems like this purchase is going to be financially rather tight. In that context, citing that the 'S' is a better car is just a bit moot.
The 997 is a great car. The 997S is even better. There is nothing about your intended usage pattern that compels you to have to buy the S. But since these are discretionary purchases, intended to bring joy to the owner, having a tough financial decision hanging over your head takes a lot away from ownership.
Only you know yourself well enough to make this decision. If you're the kind of person who, after buying the Carrera, will always be wondering and wishing about the S, then hold off. Surely it's true that, in buying the S you'll never be yearning for the 997. But if you're stressed, or worse, over the financials, that's a much more significant type of angst.
I really want a GT2. It's better/faster/more exiting than my 997S. But it's three times the price. I likely could swing it, but it would be painful and I'd constantly feel guilty. No way I'm buying one. So I drive a 997S and I am surely not suffering.
Again, both cars are great. Better than most anything on the road. As long as you won't be consistently questioning your decision, a 997 sure beats just yearning or fretting.

Last edited by Verde; 08-23-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:44 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mdrums
Do you really want the slower car?
Or, will you drive it in such a way that you'll notice it is a slower car? Or will it just be a thing in your head?

So far, in my experience in the larger context of daily driving, my car is usually NOT the slower car.

Last edited by stevepow; 08-23-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Slapshot is infamous around these partsSlapshot is infamous around these parts
Thanks to everyone for some thought provoking commentary. I cannot adequately say how much this forum and the cooperation and willing input of it's members constantly amazes me. You have all helped to provide me with information which clarifies things, offers a meaningful perspective, and will be of considerable help in making the right decision.

Thanks more than I can say.

John

Last edited by Slapshot; 08-23-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 PM
rkuo is infamous around these parts
The people here saying you should get the S or "buy as much as you can afford" are oversimplifying things. When you start talking about S to GT then it becomes much more clear that that answer is really not the right answer ... it all depends on your financial situation.

For a lot of guys here, 10K isn't that much more, and it makes them feel better to get the S. That's fine for them.

If you are already worried about the outlay for the extended warranty, then I would argue that you are stretching yourself too thin financially and that, barring an incredible deal, you should skip the S, especially given the intended use of the car ... daily driving. Even the focus on miles you have may be a little too much as you will likely put much more into the car if you keep it permanently. It might be wiser to see how much dollar value you can soak out of a higher mileage car when sold to you since you are never going to recover that back anyway.

Also, much of what you are asking for can be modded in later once and if you develop the necessary skill and finesse to appreciate the performance benefits.

There is always going to be the need for something new or something better. I can't tell you how you are going to feel about S vs non-S ... only you can do that ... but always regretting that you didn't get something better should be the exception, not the rule. There is ALWAYS something better.