997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

To Leatherique or not to Leatherique?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
To Leatherique or not to Leatherique?

Hi,

I recently bought a 2008 C2S Cab which was driven by one of the principals of the dealership. It was put into service in late 2007, and driven for a little over 4k miles. I bought it a few weeks ago for a good price, and the car overall is in great condition. I spetd the day yesterday claying, polishing and waxing the car to achieve the better-than-showroom condition I want for the car (it's not my daily driver). I spent a while late today applying Leather Rejuvinator to all the interior leather surfaces (I have the full leather option, so there's a lotta different surfaces to treat). I'm letting that soak in for a day or so and then I'll clean it all up with Prestine Clean. My last to car was a Ferrari 360. I used the Leatherique products on that car with great results. If you search for Leatherique on FerrariChat you get a ton of hits. Over here, I just find a handful. Is the same care and attention just not needed with the Porsche? I always felt that somehow the Ferrari was a little "fragile" and while I loved it for the 2 years I owned it (trouble-free, by the way) I think I'll use the 911 way more because it's just so much more useable. What do you guys think on this leather care stuff? Is Leatherique just overkill on this car?

Brian

Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 PM
vrnkc is infamous around these parts
I have used this product on a light grey leather interior (BMW) and it cleans the leather very well without leaving an oily residue like Lexol. So it doen NOT attract new dirt like Lexol. IMO, the leather should not really need cleaning after only 4K miles of use unless a slob drove it. Enjoy!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
The leather didn't *need* a cleaning (it's black, so hard to even tell). I used the Rejuvinator more out of a desire to know that the leather is clean and well conditioned at the start of my ownership, and then much easier to just keep it that way.

By the way, the results are fantastic. I just finished wiping everything down tonight with Prestine Clean and the interior now has a very consistent appearance to it and a nice soft texture. And now I know I'm probably very low maintenance on the leather for 1-2 years...

Brian

Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I am a detailing fantatic, and I use Zaino's leather cleaner and conditioner. I haven't found it necessary to use anything else, as yes, the Porsche leather is very durable and maintenance free. At this point I use it just to keep the lovely leather smell. And I'm at 40k miles.
CATTMAN

Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Does the Zaino stuff leave the leather glossy/oily? I was thinking about giving them a try...

Old 08-26-2009, 12:10 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bwiele
Hi,

I recently bought a 2008 C2S Cab which was driven by one of the principals of the dealership. It was put into service in late 2007, and driven for a little over 4k miles. I bought it a few weeks ago for a good price, and the car overall is in great condition. I spetd the day yesterday claying, polishing and waxing the car to achieve the better-than-showroom condition I want for the car (it's not my daily driver). I spent a while late today applying Leather Rejuvinator to all the interior leather surfaces (I have the full leather option, so there's a lotta different surfaces to treat). I'm letting that soak in for a day or so and then I'll clean it all up with Prestine Clean. My last to car was a Ferrari 360. I used the Leatherique products on that car with great results. If you search for Leatherique on FerrariChat you get a ton of hits. Over here, I just find a handful. Is the same care and attention just not needed with the Porsche? I always felt that somehow the Ferrari was a little "fragile" and while I loved it for the 2 years I owned it (trouble-free, by the way) I think I'll use the 911 way more because it's just so much more useable. What do you guys think on this leather care stuff? Is Leatherique just overkill on this car?

Brian
Last saturday I was driving my car in wet bathing suit and wet back because I had to evacuate after sudden thunderstorm... Would not even come to my mind to polish seats with anything. I guess it is a different mindset. Seats are for seating in `em and not letting my *** to slip in turns.

PS. I do wax my car, I`m not that totally bad...

Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
all you have to do to get rid of the oily appearence no matter what you use is to wipe it down afterwards with a dry lint free cloth.

even armorall can be made to not shine by doing this.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
Leatherique doesn't leave an oily appearance at all. I've used it for years on all of my cars and all it does is add moisture back in the leather. It's not like smearing a cream on top that sits on the leather. I dont think it's overkill at all, but just good preventative care.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
No, Zaino doesn't have any oily or shiny look whatsoever. Just clean and neat. I personally like the smell a lot.
CATTMAN

Old 09-02-2009, 12:00 AM
PorscheUSA is infamous around these parts
Where can you buy Leatherique?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by PorscheUSA
Where can you buy Leatherique?
I've always ordered it direct through leatherique.com. It really is great stuff.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 PM
PorscheUSA is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cattman
No, Zaino doesn't have any oily or shiny look whatsoever. Just clean and neat. I personally like the smell a lot.
CATTMAN
How does Leatherique smell?

Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheUSA
How does Leatherique smell?
I've heard it smells like a baseball glove. Some like that, others don't.

bwiele: we met once during a NYMC fall run. Oogled over your TDF 360. Why did you get rid of it?