997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Non CPO Extended Warranties Worthless?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The $4600 insurance may be something to explore by an owner who loves his car. I would pass on it but some folks want an extra security blanket.

However 5 grand IMO is enough of a price gap to justify a CPO to a buyer and I think that can't be beat.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
[quote=Slapshot;2518334.......................

The dealer across the state that I contacted about Easy Care quoted me a 4 year - 50k extended warranty for $4671.00! ............"

John[/quote]

John: this dealer's quote is ridiculous; try another (it doesn't have to be a Porsche dealer), go to their website. Like Larry said, go with an 06 CPO if your local creeps are trying to jerk you for 5K.

Last edited by tejoe; 08-28-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:37 AM
NeunElf is infamous around these parts
I agree that extended 3rd party warranties are complete ripoff! I once had as a client one of the leading aftermarket warranty companies, they were complete and total crooks!

Remember, these warranty co's write contracts to benefit themselves not you! You pay them upfront, they have no need to continue to earn your business! Not a good plan IMHO.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Flying Cat is infamous around these partsFlying Cat is infamous around these parts
Here is EasyCare number: 1-800-315-1263.

I started dealing with EasyCare over the phone. However, when I found out my local Porsche dealer sells EasyCare, I ended up buying it from the Porsche dealership instead of from EasyCare directly.

FYI, finance person at dealership showed me pages & pages with EasyCare pricing. They are tables where price varies depending on length of coverage, milage, and deductible. After reviewing the numbers, the sweet spot is $100 deductible.

You may want to give them a call, they may quote you a better price than the dealership.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Slapshot is infamous around these partsSlapshot is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Flying Cat
I too was in the market for Porsche Extended Warranty over a month ago. After some research, I found out people in this and other Porsche forums have had good experiences with EasyCare. I checked their BBB rating, and they have an A+. I ended up getting it from my local Porsche dealer. 72 months, $100 deductible for $3100.

If your dealership does not sell EasyCare, you can go to their website, fill out a form, and they will follow up. Several weeks ago I posted the fine print of their Total Care contract.
Apparently the dealer I talked to was attempting to take me to the cleaners with their markup on this warranty. I will look into it very soon.

John

Old 08-30-2009, 09:55 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
I bougth the Fidelity warranty after like 6 Porsche dealers here (Orange County) recommend and sell them and only one sold EasyCare. I also contacted my local Ceritified Independant (which I trust more than Porsche dealers) and they also said very good things about Fideility paying all theiur claims no hassle and they worked with them alot. After that, I ended up buying Fidelity for 6 years 60K for like $1900 versus Easy Care was like $4500 with higher deductible. My independant said both Fidelity and EasyCare are reputable but the price was much better with Fidelity.

Jon

Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
non brand extended warranties always let you down...

i had a honda in past with aftermarket warranty and they never gave a **** about anything... would just tell me "we dont cover that"

was no fun

-alex

Old 08-30-2009, 10:28 PM
pplace993 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
non brand extended warranties always let you down...

i had a honda in past with aftermarket warranty and they never gave a **** about anything... would just tell me "we dont cover that"

was no fun

-alex

What was the quote when you dealt w/ easy care directly?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 PM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
Fidelity is used by majority of BMW and Audi dealers for their 3rd party extended warranties and as it appears, with Porsches as well.

With our M5 nearing the end of its factory warranty coverage, I had been searching intently for a while. Although I was able to buy BMW's factory extended maintenance program (aka BMW's famed $0 service) at $3500 for services upto 6yr/100k, BMW will not provide extended factory warranty for M series vehicles.

You will always find issues with major underwriters like Fidelity or Easy Care, but as with all things, relationships between your shop or SA and the claims department is vital to a successful resolution.

For 3rd party warranties, I think the key is find an "Exclusionary Warranty" where if an item is not spelled out as excluded then it is in fact covered.

Fidelity quotes are coming in at a whopping $5~7000 for 6yr/72k for the M5. These prices are a little hard to comprehend if the 911's are being quoted somewhere around $2~3000.

Sigh...the Beast (M5) is truly a beast in more ways than one, but the engine howl is surely intoxicating...

Last edited by muifast; 09-03-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 AM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
I went to a Porsche Independent shop today in SF to get my oil changed and spoke w/ the owner and he told me that he deals w/ Fidelity Warranty Services all the time and he had hundreds of claims with them and has never had issues getting them to pay out. Take that FWIW.

I hope I never have this happen. Wonder what happened to her 997.

Last edited by motosport3; 09-11-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 AM
PorscheUSA is infamous around these parts
Price shopping pays off!

I almost feel like an expert on this subject after spending lots of time researching warranty- including CPO warranty by running the private party sale transaction via dealership and extended warranty via third party companies. I ended up buying EasyCare Total Care extended warranty. Perhaps my experience will be helpful to others looking to extend the Porsche factory warranty.

For extended warranty (non-CPO), the two companies that Southern Cal Porsche dealerships offer are EasyCare and Fidelity. EasyCare seems to have better reputation and reviews. Fidelity is a bit cheaper, but not by much if you price shop hard. I called EasyCare directly as well as 7 or 8 dealerships to get price quotes on extended warranty, so I kind of feel like an expert on the subject now.

My advice is to first get price quotes on different combinations of deductibles and months/mileage that you want the extended warranty to cover. The following is one initial quote that I obtained for EasyCare Total Care extended warranty:

Months from date of purchase of the contract / total miles / Price
Deductible: $100 $250
36 / 60,000 $2611 $2411
48/60 $2815 $2572
48/75 $3198 $2876
48/100 $4177 $3629
60/60 $2917 $2635
60/75 $3392 $3030
60/85 $3805 $3347
72/60 $3424 $3064
72/75 $3869 $3410
72/85 $4528 $3913
84/75 $5292 $4513
84/100 $6731 $5668

(Please note that the price will vary depending on the MY and mileage already on your Porsche.)

Using the initial price quotes as guideline, decide the warranty company, the exact deductible and months/mileage of coverage that you want. Then, call the finance people at many more dealerships (both Porsche and non-Porsche) to obtain and compare prices for the exact same policy. For the same EasyCare Total Care policy covering 72 months/75K miles with $250 deductible, I got the highest price quote of almost $3700 from a Volvo dealership and the lowest price of $2850 from a GM dealership. I took the lowest quoted price and asked my local Porsche dealership to match the price. They agreed and I bought the policy in person at the Porsche dealership where I would take my 997S to if I ever need to get repairs covered by this extended warranty.

If the Porsche dealership does not match the lowest quoted price, I would buy from the non-Porsche dealership. I spoke to the service department at several Porsche dealerships. Regardless of who you purchase the extended warranty contract from, the service department is the ones who call in the claims to the company, coordinates the authorization approval and perform the repair. It makes no difference who you bought the warranty contract from. Nonetheless, I prefer to purchase the contract in person (instead of over faxes) and to give my business to the local Porsche dealer as long as I am paying the same.

Hope this information is useful to some.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 AM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
Please read this. I think this will help and give you some ideas on where you can go and still get great service.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

Old 09-11-2009, 11:49 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Good info here. Anybody check into higher deductibles, like $1000? I'm really looking for disaster coverage, like an engine or tranny. A bad alternator I can stomach. Of course, if you get a $100 deductible for only $100 more then it's worth it. I see that going from $100 to $250 saves $200. Two events though and the lower deductible is worth it.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
My Porsche dealer sells Fidelity (Audi Platinum) for Porsche. I asked the mechanics and they said Fidelity was easier to deal with compared to Easy Care (what they offer for their Range Rovers).

Old 11-04-2009, 03:04 PM
eVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant future
Thanks for posting this link. I used this site years ago for car buying. Great to read about the warranties.

Originally Posted by skizot
Please read this. I think this will help and give you some ideas on where you can go and still get great service.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Non CPO Extended Warranties Worthless?