997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Exhaust Comparisons / Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:40 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Exhaust Comparisons / Suggestions

Countless threads on exhaust systems, but I'm not looking for necessarily "what's out there" but instead more along the lines of, if you've heard two (or more) different exhaust systems on the same car, which did you like better and why?

So far, options I'm considering for a 997.2 C4S include: high flow cats with stock system, full Tubi exhaust, some kind of center muffler delete / crossover pipe, and center muffler only. I like the current sound of my car, but would just like more of it. Car is used during autocross, for pleasure around town and neighborhood, and will hopefully be used as daily driver in coming years (can always put stock back on at that point). Would like to get out of this as cheaply as possible. Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by camhabib
Countless threads on exhaust systems, but I'm not looking for necessarily "what's out there" but instead more along the lines of, if you've heard two (or more) different exhaust systems on the same car, which did you like better and why?

So far, options I'm considering for a 997.2 C4S include: high flow cats with stock system, full Tubi exhaust, some kind of center muffler delete / crossover pipe, and center muffler only. I like the current sound of my car, but would just like more of it. Car is used during autocross, for pleasure around town and neighborhood, and will hopefully be used as daily driver in coming years (can always put stock back on at that point). Would like to get out of this as cheaply as possible. Any and all help is appreciated.
i am thinking the same way,cam! Could I add the Porsche PSE??? Don't forget, the PDK is supposedly sensitive to new exhausts!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 PM
JJG
JJG is infamous around these parts
What is the full tubi exhaust? I have read posts with Tubi mufflers and x51 headers, but many do not recommend replacing the stock cats. I understand replacing the stock cats with 200 cpi is where you get the HP gains, but then if you have tubis with aftermarket cats, the sound sucks. So is the full tubi exhaust the complete header, cat and muffler replacement? Anyone have a sound clip? Thanks

Old 08-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Tubi doesn't make cats. They make mufflers and headers. In fact if you use sport cats with tubi mufflers, it sounds like crap.

So I would assume the "full tubi" system is both the headers and mufflers.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Remember the OP has a .2 car (2009) and the exhaust system is totally different than the .1 car (2005-08).

As far as replacing the cats on a .2 you will have to replace the headers too because they are all in 1 design. I believe FVD has a system with replacment headers and they move the cats back to the rear at the crossover pipes...actually not a true X crossover pipe as the do not interconect.

I've heard various systems and I outlined them in my review of the Rennsport-1 Center Muffler system. Search for that thread. There are some guys on these forums that have the Sharkwerks center muffler delete pipes and so far everyone has been happy with those. They offer slightly more sound than stock. To me they sound more like a stock 997.1 exhaust because this is basically what it is. I do not know anyone on these forums that has the Tubi side mufflers and center crossover pipe, but a friend of mine that tracks with me has this system. It sound very good and is very quiet at idle and low speed. It opens up at full throttle at above 4500rpms.

I have a 09 S with PDK and I did the Fabspeed side muffler delete pipes. This system just uses the stock center resonator only. I dropped around 42lbs fom the rear of the car. However it is a lot louder than stock and will have some drone at slight throttle 2000-2400 rpms.

I have not had any issue with this set up due to PDK. Nor has my friend with the Tubi on his 997.2S with PDK had any issues due to PDK.

So far my favorite sounding system is the Rennsport-1 center muffler.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:44 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mdrums
Remember the OP has a .2 car (2009) and the exhaust system is totally different than the .1 car (2005-08).

As far as replacing the cats on a .2 you will have to replace the headers too because they are all in 1 design. I believe FVD has a system with replacment headers and they move the cats back to the rear at the crossover pipes...actually not a true X crossover pipe as the do not interconect.

I've heard various systems and I outlined them in my review of the Rennsport-1 Center Muffler system. Search for that thread. There are some guys on these forums that have the Sharkwerks center muffler delete pipes and so far everyone has been happy with those. They offer slightly more sound than stock. To me they sound more like a stock 997.1 exhaust because this is basically what it is. I do not know anyone on these forums that has the Tubi side mufflers and center crossover pipe, but a friend of mine that tracks with me has this system. It sound very good and is very quiet at idle and low speed. It opens up at full throttle at above 4500rpms.

I have a 09 S with PDK and I did the Fabspeed side muffler delete pipes. This system just uses the stock center resonator only. I dropped around 42lbs fom the rear of the car. However it is a lot louder than stock and will have some drone at slight throttle 2000-2400 rpms.

I have not had any issue with this set up due to PDK. Nor has my friend with the Tubi on his 997.2S with PDK had any issues due to PDK.

I have the new Tubi system for my 2009 997.2S with PDK and love it

Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bosco42
I have the new Tubi system for my 2009 997.2S with PDK and love it
camhabib, here ya go....bosco has the Tubi system for a 2009 .2 car. He likes it, my track friend likes his, I've heard it and described my opinion of the sound (it sound good).

Search this forum and the rennlis forum and there is a lot of .2 exhaust info.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hey guys if anyone wants videos of our system (it's subtle) here's a couple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ImQUkO68xs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hacv6GbN4M

Also we'll be doing a full Tubi system today on a 997.2 C4S so I'll snag some video:P

Old 08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hey guys if anyone wants videos of our system (it's subtle) here's a couple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ImQUkO68xs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hacv6GbN4M

Also we'll be doing a full Tubi system today on a 997.2 C4S so I'll snag some video:P

Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Bonerwall is infamous around these parts

Reference your Fabspeed Side Muffler Bypass Pipes, have you ever done any dyno runs to verify their claimed +17HP/+24TQ gains? And if not, do you feel any gains just by the seat of your pants? Thanks.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Bonerwall
Reference your Fabspeed Side Muffler Bypass Pipes, have you ever done any dyno runs to verify their claimed +17HP/+24TQ gains? And if not, do you feel any gains just by the seat of your pants? Thanks.
No I have not done any dyno run...I have a PDK car and need a 4wheel dyno to do that and most around me are only 2 wheel dyno. Even though I have 2 wheel drive...with PDK the car senses the front wheels are not moving and send an error code and shuts the car down into a limp mode.

Anyway, I have not felt a actual seat of the pants difference except that the car seems to rev free in the upper RPM's. I did do a drag race with another instructor at a Sebring DE who has the same car as me but with the Tubi full exhaust for a 2009 Carrera S. I pulled him by a little over 1/2 a car lenght both comming out of turn 16 together at 60mph he counted off 1-2-3 with his finger and we both went up to 130mph.

We did a couple more runs and he followed me on the track and pull him pretty much everwhere. In the turns my car handled better because I was on Toyo 18" R888 and he was on 19"Michelin Cups...the Toyo's are just superior with grip at the track.

My best advice concerning muffler, full exhaust, by pass pipes on these cars is to get what you can afford and what you think sounds the best. The Fabspeed side muffler by bass pipes on my 2009 Carrera S are loud, they do drone at 2000-2400rpm and while you can talk on a cell phone it is a little hard while at the crusing 2200rpm or under a 1/2 throttle accell...but WOW do they sound good at the track.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Bonerwall is infamous around these parts
No I have not done any dyno run...I have a PDK car and need a 4wheel dyno to do that and most around me are only 2 wheel dyno. Even though I have 2 wheel drive...with PDK the car senses the front wheels are not moving and send an error code and shuts the car down into a limp mode.

Anyway, I have not felt a actual seat of the pants difference except that the car seems to rev free in the upper RPM's. I did do a drag race with another instructor at a Sebring DE who has the same car as me but with the Tubi full exhaust for a 2009 Carrera S. I pulled him by a little over 1/2 a car lenght both comming out of turn 16 together at 60mph he counted off 1-2-3 with his finger and we both went up to 130mph.

We did a couple more runs and he followed me on the track and pull him pretty much everwhere. In the turns my car handled better because I was on Toyo 18" R888 and he was on 19"Michelin Cups...the Toyo's are just superior with grip at the track.

My best advice concerning muffler, full exhaust, by pass pipes on these cars is to get what you can afford and what you think sounds the best. The Fabspeed side muffler by bass pipes on my 2009 Carrera S are loud, they do drone at 2000-2400rpm and while you can talk on a cell phone it is a little hard while at the crusing 2200rpm or under a 1/2 throttle accell...but WOW do they sound good at the track.
Thanks for the reply. I got my 2009 C4S in January and there weren't a whole lot of exhaust mods available then for the new 997.2 and I really needed something with a much better(louder) sound than stock. I ended up getting the Fabspeed X-Pipe , based on the video/audio clip they had, the HP/Torque gains they promised, and Jason talking me out of the Side Muffler By-Pass Pipes (which I really wanted because they were half the price, sounded louder, and had equally impressive HP/Torque gains) because he said they were really too loud for the street and were really set-up for the track only. I am really disappointed with the X-Pipe sound - hardly any different than stock (maybe a little louder at high RPM). I did not do a dyno before and after the install but I probably did gain a slight bump in HP based on my seat of the pants evaluation. So now it seems like my only option is to add the Fabspeed Maxflo Mufflers (Loud option) which I think are just now available or to start from scratch and go with the new Rennsport-1 side muffler delete. I am staying away from the Tubi or FVD options because they are just too expensive. Have you heard of anyone who has the Fabspeed Maxflo Mufflers (either with or without the X-pipe) and what they think of the set-up? I know you are pretty impressed with the new Rennspeed-1 unit but I am waiting for any dyno info they may make available before I make my decision. I am primarily looking for a deep/loud sound with no drone and any HP/Torque gains wouild be an added bonus!!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Check out the Fabspeed Dual Tone Maxflo muffler system we have avialable. The system allows you to go from medium sound to sporty sound by changing out the the inlet pipes with the provided quick release V Band clamps, making it an easy and fast transformation. The System sounds nice and sporty but not too aggressive and this in Loud/Sport mode. We also have our Side muffler bypass pipes which are more aggressive sounding and recommended to be used with the stock primary muffler unless you really want to go loud. The X Pipe Primary muffler bypass really makes a difference in power and sound when joined with our Maxflo mufflers because they will compliment each other.
PM or email me if you have any questions. Videos are below of each setup.

Quiet Version 2ndary Mufflers with X Pipe Primary Bypass and Air Intake: http://vimeo.com/2698010

Sport Version 2ndary Mufflers with X Pipe Primary Bypass, Air Intake and EVOMS ECU Tune:
http://vimeo.com/5978493

2ndary Muffler Bypass and Air Intake: http://vimeo.com/2279533

2ndary Muffler Bypass, Primary Muffler Bypass and Air Intake: http://vimeo.com/2410878

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 09-01-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Bonerwall, seems like you only need to add the Fabspeed MaxFlo Dual Core muffler and set them on the loud setting.

The stock mufflers are very heavy and very restrictive so that is why when people just do a X pipe or the Sharkwerks crossover pipes there really is not much change at all in sound.

If you want loud but somewhat livable for a weekend fun car or track car I suggest the Fabspeed Side Muffler By Pass Pipes that I am useing. If those are too loud then the Rennsport-1 Center muffler system is probably right between a 2 muffler system and my by pass system.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Alex@Fabspeed

Sport Version 2ndary Mufflers with X Pipe Primary Bypass, Air Intake and EVOMS ECU Tune:
http://vimeo.com/5978493
This sounds great, even over the internet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Comparisons / Suggestions