997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

LED bulbs for fog lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:48 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
LED bulbs for fog lights

I`ve read here on forum that if one installs non-hot LED bulbs into fog lights then computer will throw out CEL code at every start. Are there any LED bulbs actually compatible with stock bulbs resistance?

I assume LED bulbs are the only aftermarket 'whitish' ones you can install without risk to melt down fog light assembly? Just hate that yellowish tint next to my xenon low beams... It is not nice.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
There are some LED bulbs that has built in resisters which claims not to throw a warning light. But by having a resister inside you'd expect some heat built up. Haven't tried one and don't plan to try one, but search ebay if you are interested.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steph280
There are some LED bulbs that has built in resisters which claims not to throw a warning light. But by having a resister inside you'd expect some heat built up. Haven't tried one and don't plan to try one, but search ebay if you are interested.
Well, I searched this forum and Renntech for whole 15 minutes and did not find any actual brand names or part numbers, people do say in general that such things do exist but it would be better to know if anybody actually used them and did not get CEl and did not melt their light mounts.

So far I only saw pictures of melted plastic parts and advices to remain stock. Would be nice to replace fog lights, I want to make them permanently lit as part of other mod I work on, so, would be nice to have there bulbs if not matching Xenon`s but at least not so yellow.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:41 AM
you can get regular halogen bulbs that simulates the xenon color temp. I know PIAA has a whole series that will match whatever K you need.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 AM
you can get regular halogen bulbs that simulates the xenon color temp. I know PIAA has a whole series that will match whatever K you need.
That is exactly what will melt down fog light fixture.
It has to be cold LED light bulb. Question is - which one.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 AM
stock bulbs are halogen. If you keep it at the same watts it will not melt.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM
stock bulbs are halogen. If you keep it at the same watts it will not melt.
Theoretically it sounds legit, practically I see multiple posts of melted down housings on renntech and advices to remain stock only with those bulbs.

I do not really want to try it myself, there is no incentive at all to take front bumper down if I will really melt it. it is quite a messy job to put front bumper down.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 AM
I got PIAA 6000k halogen bulbs as both fog and parking light in one of my car for 5 years now, never a problem. Like I said, if you keep the wattage the same, it will not generate any more heat than stock bulbs. Those with melted housing/wires are people trying to get brighter output by upping the watt ratings, of course they will melt.

If I remember correctly, the fog light housing is removed with a credit card like thingy included with your car. It's a 2 minute job to pop it out without dropping the bumper.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:08 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
In the worst case scenario, you could always just buy a $0.10 resistor and attach it somewhere along the wire to the light. A lot of people in the Audi community have done this to add the LED strip to their headlights.