997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Soot on bumper/exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 AM
mass is infamous around these parts
Soot on bumper/exhaust

I've read a few posts that discuss black soot that is on the tail pipes and bumper. I don't burn excessive oil - 1 quart every 2K miles. It's an 09 C2S and the consensus seems to be that the new DFI engine burns more oil than 997.1 AND the exhaust tips seem to have more soot.

What I have noticed on my car is that if I rev up the engine a few times in the garage, there are small black spots on the garage floor as if the exhaust is spitting out tiny pieces of soot. It is the same amount on both sides.

Any concerns or are other 997.2 owners experiencing the same.

I don't think I drive my car nearly as often or as hard as it should be driven.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 AM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
I'm only at 900 miles with my 09 C2S, but I did notice the same thing. Not sure if it's normal or not.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:23 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
I also have a 09C2S and the soot that hits the floor should be just some water that was exhaust condensation mixed with carbon residue. You can always touch it and see if there is fresh oil in it. If there is, it is not good.
So Far, I have been OK with Oil burning. My car has 3200 miles and it is still 2 bars above the "add" range, so i think that I may make it to 5000 miles before adding some. The only other issue is an occasional "smoke screen" where when i start my car after it has sat for a day, it lets out some serious grey smoke!! (fills about half the parking lot! LOL)It only happens when I shut the car off without idling it for a few minutes. The dealer says this is normal, and it does not seem to be effecting the oil consumption.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:31 AM
mass is infamous around these parts
These engines are so high strung (as well as us owners) that the slightest things cause concern. It is exhaust condensation, just never saw it in my previous cars.