997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Installed AWE cats- WOW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Installed AWE cats- WOW

So I've already got an extensive list of performance mods, including:
-LWFW
-EVOMS CAI
-AH Mufflers
-Custom ECU tune
-RSS/IPD Plenum

And this weekend I installed AWE cats. Install was a royal hassle especially since I left the rear bumper on, and I don't have a jack (required a couple calls to Stacy, my lifeline) but I enjoy the satisfaction, so it was worth it. If you have jack stands, patience, and the right tools, it's definitely a DIY.

I've only driven about 30 miles, just to make sure no CEL warnings, etc., and all I can say is WOW!

The sound is incredible, and with the AH pipes, it's actually a little more refined than the AH were with OEM cats. There's less interior drone, too, and the whole ensemble is wicked.

As for performance, it seems to have really opened things up. Acceleration feels more fluid, and comes on stronger past 3,500 RPM's straight to redline. I've felt more after this mod than just about any other- definitely recommend it.

But the sound, whoa. With the AH pipes it's obviously loud, but it's refined now, and just insane. I will make some videos and post some pics of the trickier parts of the install. I am also going to get it on a dyno this week, anyone hear of a "Land-and-Sea" dyno?
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 08-30-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:03 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Yup, that about somes up the high flow cats! Better then all the exhaust/intake mods combined.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:24 PM
wdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the rough
my experience with the DIY

I only had one major roadblock when I did this ... the "included bolts" for the cat > header connection.

Regarding the instructions from AWE .. this is basically how they read to me:

"take the cats out of the box and install them."

They included things like "pull really gently on the O2 sensors to extend the wire." So, here is how I translated them:

- optional setup : raise car, remove bumper / wheels, etc ..
- slide the sleeves at the cat > muffler joint to to the drop
- don't forget the O2 sensors (AWE instructions don't mention them)
2x per cat ; these appear to be hand tightened to me when I removed
them.
- label the O2 sensors or take a picture so you know which goes where.
- the O2 sensor wires cannot be "gently pulled". Lift the airbox and loosen
the wires. The airbox is not attached to anything so this is an easy step
and will save you a lot of time trying to "pull" the wires....
- the O2 sensor wires are on the far right and left of the engine bay, one
is under the air box. You will find them really quickly after you see the
one on the driver side and know what you are looking for.
- when you re-attach O2 sensors, just lift the cats and get them at a
good spot for spinning the sensors. I put some counter spin on the wire
so I wouldn't be creating a tight coil while I was attaching things.

Maybe the only other thing I might have done if I did this again is to put some wd40 on the bolts before attaching things, help them spin a bit easier. I really had bad luck on the included bolts for attaching the cats to the headers.

I didn't find that the space was that compressed and while I'm sure it's more fun to work with the car lifted high, the bumper off, the wheels off ... I actually think this could be done with the car on the ground and no removal of anything.

I would have liked it if AWE would have included a step-by-step with things like torque specifications, instructions on any sealant they wanted used at the gaskets, which side should be worked on first, etc. I've got new pair of mufflers that I'm planning to install and I guess I'll see if I'm as frustrated by the instructions with those!

Old 08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Glad I could be of help John!

TOLD Ya you would like/love the sound....the AWE cats are a MUST have for performance gains!

I tried to call you back but obviously you are out listening to the music from the exhaust rather than the ring of your phone,LOL!

Stacy

Old 08-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
WD, yeah, the AWE instructions are pretty worthless. It would be great to have a more thorough writeup with pics, which I will send them. Additionally, a list of needed tools would be helpful. I was vexed by finding the 22M wrench for the O2 sensors- finally found one at autozone. But all the different types of sockets and wrenches to reach the tight spots when doing the install on the ground with the bumper attached is extensive. Adapters, joins, extensions, etc.

I'll work on posting pics and sound vids shortly.

I didn't use anything on the gasket, was I supposed to have?
CATTMAN

Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman

I didn't use anything on the gasket, was I supposed to have?
CATTMAN
You are 'all good' have fun !!!

Stacy

Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justatoy
Glad I could be of help John!

TOLD Ya you would like/love the sound....the AWE cats are a MUST have for performance gains!

I tried to call you back but obviously you are out listening to the music from the exhaust rather than the ring of your phone,LOL!

Stacy
Based on personal experience and sound clips too I think Fabspeed is a better choice. But, to each his own, and from performance perspective any 200 cell sport cats are probably pretty much the same.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Cattman
So I've already got an extensive list of performance mods, including:
-LWFW
-EVOMS CAI
-AH Mufflers
-Custom ECU tune
-RSS/IPD Plenum

And this weekend I installed AWE cats. Install was a royal hassle especially since I left the rear bumper on, and I don't have a jack (required a couple calls to Stacy, my lifeline) but I enjoy the satisfaction, so it was worth it. If you have jack stands, patience, and the right tools, it's definitely a DIY.

I've only driven about 30 miles, just to make sure no CEL warnings, etc., and all I can say is WOW!

The sound is incredible, and with the AH pipes, it's actually a little more refined than the AH were with OEM cats. There's less interior drone, too, and the whole ensemble is wicked.

As for performance, it seems to have really opened things up. Acceleration feels more fluid, and comes on stronger past 3,500 RPM's straight to redline. I've felt more after this mod than just about any other- definitely recommend it.

But the sound, whoa. With the AH pipes it's obviously loud, but it's refined now, and just insane. I will make some videos and post some pics of the trickier parts of the install. I am also going to get it on a dyno this week, anyone hear of a "Land-and-Sea" dyno?
CATTMAN

Congrats...we've been telling you for sometime now. I agree, the cats were the one mod I added that I said..."wow". The midrange tq. along with the top end charge just transforms the car.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Congrats!

But hey.....I have tools, jacks, jack stands.....why didn't you call me?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
LOL-I'm sorry, I'm confused here.

Woah, no need to get on the attack. Not everyone has the omnipresent need for a set of jackstands, lift, complete tool set, etc, that they would go out and buy one. Do you keep everything you need to repair the $5,000 TV set or computer you just purchased? If you needed to just change out a screw, you probably wouldn't go out and spend the $50 on some fancy grounded screwdriver that you should be using, but just make do with what you have, unless you planned to use it more often then not.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-01-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: please don't quote that stuff
Old 08-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
I bought ramps the first time, 2nd time I installed them I backed the car onto large telephone books...worked fine.

Dave

Old 08-30-2009, 07:20 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by camhabib
Woah, no need to get on the attack. Not everyone has the omnipresent need for a set of jackstands, lift, complete tool set, etc, that they would go out and buy one. Do you keep everything you need to repair the $5,000 TV set or computer you just purchased? If you needed to just change out a screw, you probably wouldn't go out and spend the $50 on some fancy grounded screwdriver that you should be using, but just make do with what you have, unless you planned to use it more often then not.

Cam

REP IS JUSTIFIED.......you see

Old 08-30-2009, 07:30 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Yup, that about somes up the high flow cats! Better then all the exhaust/intake mods combined.

Ed, Ed, Ed,....If you didnt open your mouth , i would have scored Bara's cheap! Send me a check for 600.00 and I will purchase new.....we will call it even

Old 08-30-2009, 09:02 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
LOL-I'm sorry, I'm confused here.

You bought $1500.++ sport cats for your 997 and you don't have a set a $50.00 jack stands for the DIY ???

No **** it was a royal pain in the ***. You got more $$ than sense.

Please, send AWE your critique of their install instrutions. I hope they **** on 'em.

Unbelievable.
That was completely unnecessary!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
That was completely unnecessary!

Like I said the REP says all

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed AWE cats- WOW