997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ventilated Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 PM
RandyP is infamous around these partsRandyP is infamous around these parts
Ventilated Seats

I've read nothing but positive comments about the "air conditioned" seats option but personally I find it not very useful and quite a costly option. I was excited after hearing how well it worked when I bought my new Carrera but from my limited time with it (about a month) it seems to do no better at cooling the buns and back then it did on my BMW.

I think I remember reading something about it working in concert with the air conditioning settings/climate control so maybe I don't have everything dialed in correctly for optimum results.

Does anyone have a trick to making it cool better?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
You may be expecting too much from it. I don't know what BMW you had, but the vented seats in my e60 550i were great and that experience led me to get them in the 911 and they work well for me - I rarely put them at 3, usually 2.

Contrary to what some may think, the seat cushion and back rest are actively vented with fans drawing air into the perforations and out the bottom and seat back, not blowing air out of the seat. So in a sense, yes, if the a/c is on, cool air will be drawn into the seat and pulled past you. Yet, I would still not call them "air conditioned" but rather "ventilated" as is typical for cars with that option.

According to the owners manual, effectiveness can be increased by wearing ventilated clothing. One trick to make them seem more effective: get a black coupe and drive it in July/August in Georgia.

It is also possible to have vented seats and heated seats simultaneously active - not sure about that application yet. We'll see when it gets cold.

Last edited by stevepow; 08-31-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 PM
ragdoll is infamous around these parts
I have never sat in a car with this feature.

So it just pulls air into the perforations? Seems like a good way about it. Pulls the moisture off your backside. I know after a long drive my shirt can be soaked, eesh. This would alleviate that. Cool stuff.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Majac4122 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

I have it in my car and I love it. The fact that it pulls instead of blows the air seems to work better. It really does keep your backside a bit dryer on the long drives.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:08 PM
mstams is infamous around these parts
Absolutely worth it in my opinion and probably my favorite "comfort" option. The weather in my area is the same as Steve's as I'm just across the border in TN with very hot and humid summers. I run mine on high practically every day. They could be a little more quiet, but I'm definitely glad I ordered the option.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 PM
wrongcoast is infamous around these parts
+1 on the ventilated seats. It ain't AC blowing through your shorts but it does make a difference when it's hot and muggy outside. To really work properly AC must be on. Absent AC, it's not nearly as effective. Also, I agree it does make a noticeable amount of noise when on full blast. Overall a "worth it" option for me here in So Cal.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
1schoir is infamous around these parts
+2 on the ventilated seats. Expensive option but they make a difference.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:41 AM
ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !
+3, Wife just got a Cayman S and came with the ventilated seats. Was not on our list of options, but happened to be on the car. First drive here in Florida 97 degrees and wow. No more sweating backs.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 AM
997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice
I have ventilated seats and think they are a great option. Glad my car had them!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ragdoll
... Pulls the moisture off your backside. I know after a long drive my shirt can be soaked, eesh. This would alleviate that. Cool stuff.
After a while I wonder what's living inside the foam in those seats - fungii and other nasty stuff.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by adias
After a while I wonder what's living inside the foam in those seats - fungii and other nasty stuff.

As long as you don't sit on them naked with the fan wired backwards, probably OK.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
As others have pointed out, the seats are not air conditioned. Where ever you read that... that is just plain wrong. They are ventilated, a fan draws air through the holes in the seat and back and a bit through the bolster sides into the seat and back.

The cooling effect comes from that airflow pulling moisture off of your skin.. the way the body cools itself .. evaporation. The effect is more pronounced if you wear breathable clothing.. say natural fibers like cotton (jeans and t-shirt work).. than synthetics like polyester or a very tight weave also doesn't work as well (silk for example) If its cool outside, there is little effect. If its very humid in the car, its of little effect - since the air cannot evaporate much moisture from the skin mater how much it blows over the skin.

However, if you drive with the windows and top down in slow traffic on a bright hot sunny summer day (wit the AC off).. there the effect can be very noticeable as you turn the thing on to 3 from off... you really can feel the cooling effect. On humid summer days, I turn the AC on and keep the seat ventilation on 1. Still works well.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:49 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
love the option, wish i got it.. friend has it.. AC must be on, it "pulls" air thru seat.. put on high, leave on high.. put vents on 'feet" and/or "middle" and just make sure air coming out is cool...

Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 PM
talkinghead is infamous around these parts
The holes are more noticeable than the tiny perforations on the standard leather. That said, those of you that have the V-seats, have you spilled anything that would stain them, like coke/coffee? I would expect that the appearance to change if junk gets in the holes... yes/no?

Is the cleaning or protection going to be an ongoing issue?

Last edited by talkinghead; 09-06-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
As long as you don't sit on them naked with the fan wired backwards, probably OK.
No need to reach that extreme. Normally dressed people exude perspiration which (trust me) will end up in the seat foam. Depending on humidity levels, that is prime culture for nasty stuff growth. Try it, you'll see it.