997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Trouble Viewing Configurator Using Mac/Firefox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM
RandyP is infamous around these partsRandyP is infamous around these parts
Trouble Viewing Configurator Using Mac/Firefox

A tad off topic maybe...

Does anyone else have trouble calling up the Porsche configurator? It used to work fine for me but for the last week every time I try to pull it up nothing displays.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox (It works fine with Safari) on a Mac OS 10.5.6.

I've tried doing the cache dance - cleared cache, cookies, etc.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
I'm having the same problem

Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Mac guy here too...I just use the new Safari. Works fine for me on the Porsche an BMW site.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:43 AM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
Just tried and it's working for me in Firefox 3.5.2 with OSX 10.5.8? But I have to say that over my agonizing and configuring for the last year I have often had problems with it, not loading or not loading all images, ....

Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 AM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
If you have the new Snow Leopard, you can't use the 3D configurator yet with any browser. If you have Leopard, Safari never really liked the 3D configurator anyways, but Firefox did well with it. Across all versions you should be able to access the regular configurator, as it isn't based off a flash plugin, which is the root of the problems with the 3D config. If you can't, try resetting the browser (clearing cookie, cache, etc).

Old 09-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by camhabib
...Safari never really liked the 3D configurator anyways, but Firefox did well with it...
Safari has always worked. It's Firefox that we're having problems with.

...try resetting the browser (clearing cookie, cache, etc).
As mentioned, I already reset the browser.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
If you have the new Snow Leopard, you can't use the 3D configurator yet with any browser. If you have Leopard, Safari never really liked the 3D configurator anyways, but Firefox did well with it. Across all versions you should be able to access the regular configurator, as it isn't based off a flash plugin, which is the root of the problems with the 3D config. If you can't, try resetting the browser (clearing cookie, cache, etc).
How's Snow Leopard anyway? I was thinking on getting it. I have a new MacBook Pro.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
How's Snow Leopard anyway? I was thinking on getting it. I have a new MacBook Pro.
I know this is off topic, but I have a new Macbook Pro too. I listen to Leo Laporte on weekends here in LA (he does a great tech show). While he is a big Mac fan, he was very critical last weekend of Snow Leopard being sold as a new operating system. He said most people will see no difference from Leopard, and the only benefits will accrue whenever new software applications come out that Snow Leopard is designed to handle. There is no such software out there now, and furthermore, some existing software won't work with Snow Leopard. His advice: if you have Leopard, don't bother "upgrading" to Snow Leopard until you buy software that needs it. In his opinion, it should have been released FOR FREE as a service pack. I can get it free since I bought my Macbook Pro after they announced Snow Leopard would be released in Sept. But I'm not going to bother for a while given that it doesn't appear to provide any tangible benefits.

Last edited by keninirvine; 09-02-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I know this is off topic, but I have a new Macbook Pro too. I listen to Leo Laporte on weekends here in LA (he does a great tech show). While he is a big Mac fan, he was very critical last weekend of Snow Leopard being sold as a new operating system. He said most people will see no difference from Leopard, and the only benefits will accrue whenever new software applications come out that it will handle. There is no such software out there now, and furthermore, some existing software won't work with Snow Leopard. His advice: if you have Leopard, don't bother "upgrading" to Snow Leopard until you buy software that needs it. In his opinion, it should have been release FOR FREE as a service pack. I can get it free since I bought my Macbook Pro after they announced Snow Leopard would be released in Sept. But I'm not going to bother for a while given that it doesn't appear to provide any tangible benefits.
Add to that the security issues brought to light yesterday and you have a real fight on your hands now between the (finally) viable Microsoft Windows 7 and the Mac.

...not to open the Mac vs. PC can o' worms.