997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ipod Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:19 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
I am definitely going to try the new cable..so long as porsche gives it to me for free...I would love to see that happen.
I am going to ask anyway and see what is what. The sad thing is that it is a software issue. I suspect this due to the fact that I have lots of docks and stereos that accept the iPod nano and with the same connector as the porsche cable. Each one works perfectly, including the $50 logitech refurb. I got on ebay!! (somehow the logitech sounds better than the stock porsche stereo too..go figure...)
Anyway, All of the needed data and power comes in on that cable.
Also, the new PCM update has no fix for this.
Again, not a huge issue, but I share the frustration of the other members in knowing that porsche will probably not address this issue anytime soon.....

Old 09-09-2009, 06:11 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
So this is a good idea except that, in my case, my 80GB ipod classic charges while the car is on and plays music. The drain and PCM burping (resetting) on the audio side are not cable related and the dealership and Porsche has never suggested changing the cable in their problem solving efforts. On the recent s/w update, the dealership didn't think it would change anything but Porsche wanted to go ahead and try it anyway so the s/w update was performed. As expected no behavior was improved. The dealership is somewhat mystified as they say they haven't seen anyone else report these issues but I have seen people (other than myself) post these issues so who knows.

Originally Posted by stevepow
I think you guys need to either:

1) try the new cable or
2) see if there's an update for your PCM software (I know I saw where Suncoast was selling a CD).

My older 80GB iPod works perfectly as does my new iPod Classic 120GB - both with the original single cable and many other people have success as well using one or the other of the cables (or cable adapters).

Old 09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I've seen some of these very same issues in my car with the PCM 3:

The iPod doesn't sleep so it resets when I start the car up after several days: result, starting out from song #1, and the 'shuffle' box is unchecked.

I need to load a bunch of songs on a USB stick and see how that goes as far as the directory build symptom.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
same thing happens to me when I have my usb plugd in...it works perfect, but when I get back into the car "usb device is not connected" I have to pull it out, and push it back in till it reads it...I thoght my usb stick was the problem, but now im staring to think its the porsche...anybody else have this issue with a usb stick? whats the excuse for that?

Last edited by PersianGodFatha; 09-09-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 PM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
The strange thing in my case is that my iPod worked flawlessly every time with the single wire cable in my original '09 C2, but my new '09 C2S, built a month later than my first '09 has all of these issues using the same iPod. I have to unplug and replug it in about 85% of the time to get PCM to recognize it.

Same iPod.........same cable.......works fine in one car, but not in the other.

I wouldn't even care really if it weren't so awkward trying to get to the iPod in the center armrest console, but trying to unplug and plug the iPod back in while driving is nearly impossible and definitely not safe.

When it comes to driving position, suspensions, brakes, engines and transmissions Porsche has it figured out, but the electronics side needs some work.

I've owned 8 modern BMW's and I'll say this for them: in my experience they have the electronic gadgetry figured out nicely and their engines, suspension and trannies don't exactly suck. Heckuva a lot more "package" for the money, but........they're not a Porsche

I guess at the end of the day you have to decide what's most important to you, but for this kind of money (price of the UAI option) it really ought to work flawlessly.

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 09-09-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
ipod

Have you had the 3.0 PSM updated. There is a disc the dealer has to update the system. When I got my car last week the ipod could be selected from the sources window, but then if you changed to another screen, like the map, you couldn't get back to the ipod screen. I updated the car and now its fine.

Good luck,
David

Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
This is very helpful to me as it is the first time someone has provided a potential reason as to why this problem exists for some and not others (other than some drive so much that the battery discharge problem doesn't "appear" to them). Although I doubt the core electronics are different between the cars, I also have an '09CS2. Then again maybe they made a running change that causes the issue. Whatever it is, there are enough descriptions of the problem being similar that it is clear there really is an issue here. I would buy a new ipod but I think it might be a waste as I really think the issue is on P's side, not Apple's.

Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
The strange thing in my case is that my iPod worked flawlessly every time with the single wire cable in my original '09 C2, but my new '09 C2S, built a month later than my first '09 has all of these issues using the same iPod. I have to unplug and replug it in about 85% of the time to get PCM to recognize it.

Same iPod.........same cable.......works fine in one car, but not in the other.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 AM
simgr is infamous around these parts
FWIW, I had similar problems with an iPhone in my 09 which have _completely_ gone away since I did two things:
  1. Updated the PCM f/w to V1.4 (I can rip a .iso if anyone needs it)
  2. Plugged the USB connector in as well as the iPod one in the new cable that came with the car (part # 997 612 471 02 for anyone who doesn't have one) - I have this suspicion that providing external power to the iPhone makes a difference (I've also noticed that the power is turned on when you unlock the car or open the door - well before the PCM actually tries to access the device)

/simgr

Originally Posted by drspeed
Have you had the 3.0 PSM updated. There is a disc the dealer has to update the system. When I got my car last week the ipod could be selected from the sources window, but then if you changed to another screen, like the map, you couldn't get back to the ipod screen. I updated the car and now its fine.

Good luck,
David

Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 AM
997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice
Having both ipod wire and USB connection plugged in has worked for me.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:11 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
The strange thing in my case is that my iPod worked flawlessly every time with the single wire cable in my original '09 C2, but my new '09 C2S, built a month later than my first '09 has all of these issues using the same iPod.
Really interesting. It might be useful to find out what iPod firmware/software versions people have and what PCM version. I see where some have updated to v1.4 - how can you tell? When I look at the PCM Info/Options/Set PCM/Display/System mine says V5 - WTF? What about you guys? Especially those who updated to "1.4" - does the PCM indicate this in any way?

Car:
Carrera 997.2
Build: 12/2008
PCM: V

My 80GB iPod says
Model:MA147LL
Version 1.3
Format: Windows

120GB Classic:
Model:MB565LL
Version 2.0.1 PC

Last edited by stevepow; 09-10-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I think you've found the place where the PCM version is output - mine definitely says V1.4 (will post screenshot later perhaps!)...

My car/iPhone info:

Car: C2S 997.2 Cab, build was 4/2009 as I recall
PCM: V1.4
16GB iPhone: running V3.0.1

Absolutely flawless since I plugged in the USB cable...
Simon

Originally Posted by stevepow
Really interesting. It might be useful to find out what iPod firmware/software versions people have and what PCM version. I see where some have updated to v1.4 - how can you tell? When I look at the PCM Info/Options/Set PCM/Display/System mine says V5 - WTF? What about you guys? Especially those who updated to "1.4" - does the PCM indicate this in any way?

Car:
Carrera 997.2
Build: 12/2008
PCM: V

My 80GB iPod says
Model:MA147LL
Version 1.3
Format: Windows

120GB Classic:
Model:MB565LL
Version 2.0.1 PC

Old 09-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I don't believe the USB cable will resolve any issues other than providing charging power to iWidgets that require it (the newer iPods and iPhones with the USB-only charging pin - IEEE1394 charging pin no longer supported). If you have an older iPod that does charge on the IEEE1394 pin via the 12v line, the old cable should work fine.

My system version info also displays "System version: V". I suspect thats because the number part is blank... it should probably say V 1.0, but just has the V and nothing after it.

However, that goes to the other problem, as was pointed out by

Originally Posted by simgr
I've also noticed that the power is turned on when you unlock the car or open the door - well before the PCM actually tries to access the device)

That the iWidget is never put to sleep when the car or PCM is turned off. Thus the iWidget must continue to power itself until the battery runs out.. and then everything resets. THAT is a problem. The PCM should, I think we can all agree, put the iWidget in its sleep state (low power consumption) and then wake it up again when a key is inserted/PCM turned on/etc.

Last edited by Minok; 09-10-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Yes, I was updated to v 1.4 and as mentioned there was no improvement.

My ipod is the 80GB classic; Windows; current f/w. Worked flawlessly in a BMW M5 for several years. The original, single cable works just fine.

Yes, the PCM 3 is not allowing the ipod to sleep so the battery runs completely down, the ipod goes into deep sleep, and then it has to go through the apple logo, etc. as it comes back to normal state. Of course since the battery is so low I have to take it out of the car and give it a solid charge for severa hours.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by jster
Yes, I was updated to v 1.4 and as mentioned there was no improvement.

My ipod is the 80GB classic; Windows; current f/w. Worked flawlessly in a BMW M5 for several years. The original, single cable works just fine.
Sorry - being dumb here -- do you have the new cable? Is the USB connector plugged in? I can't be sure but it seemed to me that all my problems went away when I did that...

Yes, the PCM 3 is not allowing the ipod to sleep so the battery runs completely down, the ipod goes into deep sleep, and then it has to go through the apple logo, etc. as it comes back to normal state. Of course since the battery is so low I have to take it out of the car and give it a solid charge for severa hours.
The iPhone obviously keeps running all the time anyway to run the phone, but I've also noticed that it does go into the normal standby mode shortly after the external power is turned off..

/simgr

Old 09-11-2009, 04:27 AM
As I understand it, the new cable is only for people who have ipods where Apple changed the pinout and voltage level(?) for charging. So the newer cable brings power from the usb slot; hence you can't have ipod and usb at the same time. My ipod classic gets power fine...it just isn't allowed to sleep when the car goes through its power down sequence.

Originally Posted by simgr
Sorry - being dumb here -- do you have the new cable? Is the USB connector plugged in? I can't be sure but it seemed to me that all my problems went away when I did that...

/simgr

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ipod Problem