997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Failure to launch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:52 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justatoy
That statement applies to alot more than a 'purchase'......I got to watch what I write right now....wife is breathing down my neck...LOL!!!

Never settle......there are always things I can't afford but if it is a differnce of $5000 on a $100,000 ride.....I find a way!

Stacy
I still wonder - where did this abstract round $5K amount came from anyway?

And is it still about 'S' and so called 'non-S' discussion or about some side options now?

Old 09-06-2009, 05:58 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol

And is it still about 'S' and so called 'non-S' discussion or about some side options now?
I think it was just a number thrown out there...He ws just giving an example!
Could apply to mods as well..!

Stacy

Old 09-06-2009, 06:06 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
"There is always going to be a better car out there."

Is it great how a reality distortion fuels denial? Inventing reasons to to explain why things are instead of accepting the painful truth of what is can lead to imagining these "better cars" which may or may not even exist.

"It's not the end of the world."

Minimizing ones feelings via contrasting them to catastrophe doesn't make them go away. It may serve as a momentary rationalization but deep down the person still knows that things coild have been better . After all .. he still wishes he had the chance to buy the other car all over again.

Know yourself. Ultimately, this all comes down to how comfortable you are in your own shoes.

I believe that the first step in "knowing " ones self is to be honest with himself rather than spinning the self dialogue to ignore the root of the problem . It means giving himself permission to be human and make a wrong choice but also means he's able to admit it to himself and accept that its ok .. this time ... but learn from it .

To me personally, owning a 997 is an honor. Brakes, 30 extra HP ... who cares! I've got a Porsche 911!!!!

Yes it is a 911 and yes it is a beautiful experience to capture this piece of automotive history .. but it has to be the right car . Making the choice has to be with both feet planted on the ground and every step is ones best foot forward . This way .. when the time spent with that car passes the joy one had was maximized rather than riddled with hints of doubt.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:09 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol

It's random and could be less or more. I picked the 5K based on many price discussions with others about their price points as well reflected on cars bought in my younger years too in an effort to simply throw a number out there .

Old 09-06-2009, 06:11 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justatoy
I think it was just a number thrown out there...He ws just giving an example!
Could apply to mods as well..!

Stacy
Well, he is obviously trying to press on some point but it escapes me what that point was.

BTW I am still not sure what to do with that jacking up business. Found another article on renntech about it, does not add much definitive answers.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...pic=3404&st=40

Looked briefly with flashlight - other than suspension there are no solid points to apply car weight at the rear but in case if jack stand slips away it will do plenty of damage there in suspension area. So it looks to me only solid way to get it on stands is to put it on designated spots and here it comes again to original question what to push lift against, well, same stuff. Will look at it tomorrow in a day light.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
It's random and could be less or more. I picked the 5K based on many price discussions with others about their price points as well reflected on cars bought in my younger years too in an effort to simply throw a number out there .
Hmm... Still do not get it.

Would it be logical to assume that you`ve been hit hard with remorse right now about amount of money you just spent on new '09 car so you try to trick as much as possible other innocent souls into ultimate hell of brand new Porsche ownership?

Anyway, 'right' car or not 'right' - who knows what is it. I think that less money for most fun almost wins. Having spent twice less to get 80% of same good is better than spend money other way around.

Speaking about majority of 911 car owners I suspect most of them would never even notice 325 vs 355 horses difference on a car if they will not be told about it upfront. Most 996/997 cars I see on a road drive graciously in a middle lane at speed limit. Number of folks who actually get they prized status symbols on a track is quite low. Anyway, it is all very subjective. What is the ultimate goal - how many horses do you want to get out of stock car anyway to consider it 'right'?

And considering that any option, any mod can be done later after you got your car - what is 'not' right then?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 PM
[quote=utkinpol;2530380]Hmm... Still do not get it.

Would it be logical to assume that you`ve been hit hard with remorse right now about amount of money you just spent on new '09 car so you try to trick as much as possible other innocent souls into ultimate hell of brand new Porsche ownership?

quote]

I feel my car was a bargain . That's why I bought it.

My post had nothing to do with my cars but more on the lines of posts I am reading (the AWD C4 thread , and the Cpo 997S vs 997.2 ) . I read post after post where the person is almost in the car he really wants. I think he should either get it ..or wait altogether . There's nothing wrong with waiting . In fact I think its better to have no car at all than to have a car which isn't the one .

As for mods .. I understand that thry aren't cheap but that's what it takes to customize a car . It's just the price of the toy . To make the right car even spicier and personalizing it to ones taste .

Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
There will always be a better car, faster car, newer car, better deal, bigger house, prettier girl...... It's human nature to continue to want more once the novelty of the current object wears off. And while the feeling of compromise is to be avoided, it's also extremely important to not stretch so far monetarily on an automobile that you can't be comfortable driving it and enjoying it. It's a car, not a shrine, and despite our best intentions, taking care of a car is a losing battle. Rock chips, door dings, wear and tear will happen, and it's important to not be sick to your stomach as these things occur simply because of the uncomfortably large investment you've made in it.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by mseligson
There will always be a better car, faster car, newer car, better deal, bigger house, prettier girl...... It's human nature to continue to want more once the novelty of the current object wears off. And while the feeling of compromise is to be avoided, it's also extremely important to not stretch so far monetarily on an automobile that you can't be comfortable driving it and enjoying it. It's a car, not a shrine, and despite our best intentions, taking care of a car is a losing battle. Rock chips, door dings, wear and tear will happen, and it's important to not be sick to your stomach as these things occur simply because of the uncomfortably large investment you've made in it.
There is only one 997S 3.8 made. Other cars exist . Different option selections and model year tweaks exist for the 997S as well.

How one chooses to select, option, and purchase the car falls into his hands on the day he buys it . Or NOT buying it.
That's been my point .

If it can't be the right car . Then wait.
But if one buys the car .. he's got that one chance to get it right.

When I look at my 997tt and my 997S I don't feel that there are better 997S and 997tt cars . There are different cars and each might be "better" for that individual owner .

"bigger houses, prettier girls , and better deals" are not correlated to how one views his car choice but perhaps if one is so willing to setlle on mediocrity in one area it may be how he views all areas too.

I never undestood how anyone can find comfort in stagnation .. even if he's driving a 997S .. and especially if its not the 997S he truly wanted.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
"There is always going to be a better car out there."

Is it great how a reality distortion fuels denial? Inventing reasons to to explain why things are instead of accepting the painful truth of what is can lead to imagining these "better cars" which may or may not even exist.

"It's not the end of the world."

Minimizing ones feelings via contrasting them to catastrophe doesn't make them go away. It may serve as a momentary rationalization but deep down the person still knows that things coild have been better . After all .. he still wishes he had the chance to buy the other car all over again.

Know yourself. Ultimately, this all comes down to how comfortable you are in your own shoes.

I believe that the first step in "knowing " ones self is to be honest with himself rather than spinning the self dialogue to ignore the root of the problem . It means giving himself permission to be human and make a wrong choice but also means he's able to admit it to himself and accept that its ok .. this time ... but learn from it .

To me personally, owning a 997 is an honor. Brakes, 30 extra HP ... who cares! I've got a Porsche 911!!!!

Yes it is a 911 and yes it is a beautiful experience to capture this piece of automotive history .. but it has to be the right car . Making the choice has to be with both feet planted on the ground and every step is ones best foot forward . This way .. when the time spent with that car passes the joy one had was maximized rather than riddled with hints of doubt.
Larry,

First, This thread is a little bit random for you! What was your thinking when you wrote it?

Next, when I read some of your thoughts about buying the right car and avoiding future regrets, I sometimes wonder why you think so much differently to me when it comes to purchasing expensive options. For example, the $108K Aero 997.2 C2 I envisioned.

I guess what I am saying is, if I was to decide a brand new Aero Kitted 997.2 C2 with LSD, PCCB, and PDK was the car for me. Why then argue with the financial sense of making such a move? Especially when i say, this is my dream car and anything else is only going give me buyers remorse. Just an example.... I am driving my dream car.

Nobody "needs" a Porsche so people purchase one because its a matter of "want". So my advice has always been purchase the car you want despite how much financial sense it makes. Buying a Porsche makes no financial sense to begin with. Besides, if you dont, no matter how much money you may have saved.Or how great of a deal was received, if you had the means to buy the car you really wanted, and did not, thats a setup for some serious regrets. And, possibly an expensive trade-in and new purchase.

For example, if you really wanted a 997.2 GT3 and could have afforded one but talked yourself out of it for whatever reason. IE: Not a track guy, no good deals etc etc........ your going to have a lot of regrets going with the smart 997.2S purchase instead.

So again, my advice when purchasing is buy the Porsche you really want. The most Porsche you can afford. If you want to develop a love affair with your new Porsche then do not purchase with re-sale in mind.

Simply put, when it comes to the car, Purchase with your heart and not your head. I dont see how you can financially justify a new Porsche with your head anyway. Buuuutt, pick your price limit with your head. And use that as your limit vice options and equipment. IE: If you want a yellow C2S, go for it and stop worrying about how hard it might be to re-sell if you decided to.

I know I give guys on here some flack about their choices in Porsches. But its only because I want to make sure they realize that, for example, the AWD C4 is less of a drivers car than the RWD C2. But, understand, I feel you should always buy the car you want, no matter how much sense, or lack of sense the purchase might make.

I am realizing this post probably makes no sense.

Jason

Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by JEllis
Larry,

First, This thread is a little bit random for you! What was your thinking when you wrote it?

Next, when I read some of your thoughts about buying the right car and avoiding future regrets, I sometimes wonder why you think so much differently to me when it comes to purchasing expensive options. For example, the $108K Aero 997.2 C2 I envisioned.

I guess what I am saying is, if I was to decide a brand new Aero Kitted 997.2 C2 with LSD, PCCB, and PDK was the car for me. Why then argue with the financial sense of making such a move? Especially when i say, this is my dream car and anything else is only going give me buyers remorse. Just an example.... I am driving my dream car.

Nobody "needs" a Porsche so people purchase one because its a matter of "want". So my advice has always been purchase the car you want despite how much financial sense it makes. Buying a Porsche makes no financial sense to begin with. Besides, if you dont, no matter how much money you may have saved.Or how great of a deal was received, if you had the means to buy the car you really wanted, and did not, thats a setup for some serious regrets. And, possibly an expensive trade-in and new purchase.

For example, if you really wanted a 997.2 GT3 and could have afforded one but talked yourself out of it for whatever reason. IE: Not a track guy, no good deals etc etc........ your going to have a lot of regrets going with the smart 997.2S purchase instead.

So again, my advice when purchasing is buy the Porsche you really want. The most Porsche you can afford. If you want to develop a love affair with your new Porsche then do not purchase with re-sale in mind.

Simply put, when it comes to the car, Purchase with your heart and not your head. I dont see how you can financially justify a new Porsche with your head anyway. Buuuutt, pick your price limit with your head. And use that as your limit vice options and equipment. IE: If you want a yellow C2S, go for it and stop worrying about how hard it might be to re-sell if you decided to.

I know I give guys on here some flack about their choices in Porsches. But its only because I want to make sure they realize that, for example, the AWD C4 is less of a drivers car than the RWD C2. But, understand, I feel you should always buy the car you want, no matter how much sense, or lack of sense the purchase might make.

I am realizing this post probably makes no sense.

Jason
It sounds like we agree . BTW .. I never dismissed the C2 you designed entirely . I merely thiught it was not the right car for that shopper given the description of what he said he was looking for.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 AM
My post had nothing to do with my cars but more on the lines of posts I am reading (the AWD C4 thread , and the Cpo 997S vs 997.2 ) . I read post after post where the person is almost in the car he really wants. I think he should either get it ..or wait altogether . There's nothing wrong with waiting . In fact I think its better to have no car at all than to have a car which isn't the one .

As for mods .. I understand that thry aren't cheap but that's what it takes to customize a car . It's just the price of the toy . To make the right car even spicier and personalizing it to ones taste .
I think no one really knows what do they really want. I definitely do not.
I am just trying to find as much fun in the process itself as possible, and mods are just a part of this process.

So waiting does not help at all as to wait without knowing will not add up any knowledge at all. you got to do mistakes and gain experience and then, well, may be one will learn.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
There is only one 997S 3.8 made. Other cars exist . Different option selections and model year tweaks exist for the 997S as well.

How one chooses to select, option, and purchase the car falls into his hands on the day he buys it . Or NOT buying it.
That's been my point .

If it can't be the right car . Then wait.
But if one buys the car .. he's got that one chance to get it right.

When I look at my 997tt and my 997S I don't feel that there are better 997S and 997tt cars . There are different cars and each might be "better" for that individual owner .

"bigger houses, prettier girls , and better deals" are not correlated to how one views his car choice but perhaps if one is so willing to setlle on mediocrity in one area it may be how he views all areas too.

I never undestood how anyone can find comfort in stagnation .. even if he's driving a 997S .. and especially if its not the 997S he truly wanted.
For now you don't feel there are better cars out there. What about next year, or the year after that? Seems to me I used to see your name all over BMW posts, possibly on Roadfly. Now you're into Porsches. What's next?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 AM
997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice
I have to agree somewhat with this thread. Deep down I wanted the C4S for the wide body look more than anything. However I thought no big deal I will save myself a few dollars and go with a C2S. At that point probably would have only cost me another 5k or so. Now if I wanted to dump my car and go with a 4S I am quite confident I would get hammered.

With that being said I held off because I am new to Porsche and wanted to get my feet wet so to speak. Thankfully I did get a lot of nice options on my car and have to say it is the best car I have ever owned. However if some dealer is out there looking to move there C4S at a nice discount and give me a good trade number I would listen.

I am sure if I had the C4S I would then say what about the TT...
I think as car guys we are never content, that is the fun of it. I loved my Z, but wanted to try something new.

Last edited by 997C2SM; 09-07-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by C-Man
Yo man I totally feel you. I have been almost in shock that my pops did not get me the turbo. At the same time I really think I want to have relations with my best friends girl. She is too hot. The only problem is she is more into my 997 than me
What are you like 12?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Failure to launch