997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Replacement bulbs in fog lights - LED/white/?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Replacement bulbs in fog lights - LED/white/?

If anybody recently ordered or replaced them - I want to get something else than yellow stock ones in fog lights but too lazy to unscrew I have right now to check what model are they.

Does anybody here know exact model for fog halogen lights? Also, are there any LED bulbs that could be used there and if yes - what sort of resistor would be required to avoid CEL code?

Old 09-07-2009, 04:48 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Well, as I see total silence here, I found out it is seems to be H8 bulb, 35wt.
I even found web site for led bulbs,
http://www.superbrightleds.com/festoon.html

but it got plenty of options, even H3, H4, H7, HB3, HB4, H11, right - only H8 is missing. Will keep looking...

PS. As usual, Ebay has it all. WIll try GT_Thunder model as it was one of cheapest there. Will see.
Meanwhile - here is full list of bulb types for 2006 997.

Stay informed about new products from SYLVANIA. Sign up with one of our newsletters and let us help you with your needs.

2006 PORSCHE 911 (With HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps)

Low beam headlamp
HID-D1S

High beam headlamp
H11
H11ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H11XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

Parking light
2825LL

Front turn signal
7507AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style
7507LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Rear turn signal

Tail light
7528LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Stop light

High mount stop light
Assembly

Fog/Driving light
H8

License plate
6418LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light
7506ST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style
7506LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker
2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Map light
3886X

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area

Under hood light

Low beam headlamp
H7
H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice
H7XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
H7CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

High beam headlamp
H9

Parking light
2825LL

Front turn signal

Rear turn signal

Tail light

Stop light

High mount stop light
Assembly

Fog/Driving light
H8

License plate
6418LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light
7506ST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style
7506LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

Map light
3886X

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area

Under hood light

Last edited by utkinpol; 09-07-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:00 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Have you considered Hoen's Bulbs? They got pretty much everything for the 997. Don't think they have LEDs.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice

So, wil the H8 bulbs form the above site above fit into a 997 and not pop a fuse? (I have an '06 as well)

Old 09-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Will the H8 bulbs fit in the aero package bumper? I guess I could just look and see what the gt3 fog light bulb is, but I imagine it would be the same..

Old 09-07-2009, 07:32 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
These bulbs would give an '09 front appearance.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by thebland

So, wil the H8 bulbs form the above site above fit into a 997 and not pop a fuse? (I have an '06 as well)
I do not think they have H8 bulbs there at all, plus those bulbs have one one LED on top. H11 may fit perhaps, but I did not want to try.

I got bulbs similar to those:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H8-3-...ht_2356wt_1157

A lot of folks say that all those LED bulbs do not produce enough light, so, will see. I just want LED because I will later put them onto permanent daylight run relay and color of those bulbs - 6500K should be pretty close to my xenons.
PIAA bulbs are also claimed to be not that bright and at price of almost $100 it seems to be ridiculous.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
rkuo is infamous around these parts
I had similar questions to you and decided to mess around mostly with the interior lighting for now. The brightness question is a really big one and rather tough/impossible to tell from specs b/c reliability, illumunination angles, and native color with lens color are all a concern. For really bright lamps, drop-in LED replacement tech doesn't seem to be there yet so I can see a lot of money being spent on stuff that doesn't work. Luxeon LED based bulbs seem to be the way to go for maximum power, tho, from what I can tell.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by rkuo
I had similar questions to you and decided to mess around mostly with the interior lighting for now. The brightness question is a really big one and rather tough/impossible to tell from specs b/c reliability, illumunination angles, and native color with lens color are all a concern. For really bright lamps, drop-in LED replacement tech doesn't seem to be there yet so I can see a lot of money being spent on stuff that doesn't work. Luxeon LED based bulbs seem to be the way to go for maximum power, tho, from what I can tell.
well, $30 is nothing so if it does not work - well, not a big deal. Will see.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:47 PM
rkuo is infamous around these parts
Yup really looking forward to your results on the fog lamps. On the interior trunk/footwell/door lamps, etc .... there are several choices of different colors, angles, and, on top of that, it's hard to tell what will fit in the housings ... potentially bigger bulbs might fit, which can help with additional illumination. All the combinations can add up quickly.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:22 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
LEDs in fog lamps wont work, they will throw a code, you also have fitment problems as the LED H8 is long.

Cant go wrong with Hoen xenonmatch, it will fit, it wont trigger any warnings and it still puts out plenty of light. All of the hoen leds will work on the Porsche, no warning red ! on the dash but those are for license plate, city light and side marker light.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 808c2s
Have you considered Hoen's Bulbs? They got pretty much everything for the 997. Don't think they have LEDs.
No LED for fog lamps but they have these

http://www.hoen-usa.com/997i.htm

and these, which fit the non turbo I believe but IM not sure, bulb right next to the foglight.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by rkuo
Yup really looking forward to your results on the fog lamps. On the interior trunk/footwell/door lamps, etc .... there are several choices of different colors, angles, and, on top of that, it's hard to tell what will fit in the housings ... potentially bigger bulbs might fit, which can help with additional illumination. All the combinations can add up quickly.
OK, I got some results.

So, that GT Thunder stuff from ebay is certified crap. Light color is wonderful, exact LED I wanted but it is twice less bright than regular halogen light and built quality is horrible. While I tried to twist one of bulbs into place its led column separated from base and ruined bulb. I will be sending it back.

Fitting wise it does fit just fine into fog socket but car shows warning message upon startup.

Now, Hoen is very well built, good solid blue painted halogen bulb. Its light color not even close to whiteness of LED but is almost as white as xenons, so, it is the only solution so far as it seems. Looks acceptably good.
LED light looked better but was useless on a road - it was good just for looks. So I left Hoen`s.

If anyone knows good very bright LED H8 fog bulbs that are comparable to Hoen and do not generate error messages - post it here.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Cubster is infamous around these parts
Just purchase a set of H8 LEDs and colour-wise they are great BUT unfortunately they are too long to properly fit into the socket so this was a waste of money. Anyone with experience with HID upgrade on the fogs? I heard that the HID's will throw a code - is that correct?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:54 PM
HIDs will throw a code.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacement bulbs in fog lights - LED/white/?