997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New 997.2 4scab owner-Notes & questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 PM
SSandy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stevepow
That's not a fog light switch - there are no fog lights. Yes, I think it is some Euro parking indicator - check the manual.
Actually, pulling the light switch out a notch on the 997.2 activates the "rear fog lamp" which is why you're seeing a brighter tail light on one side when you pull. But, as noted, alas, there are no independently switchable front fogs.

Which brings me to a question. On my '00 Audi S4 I there was a blocked socket for a bulb in the right tail-light that could be unblocked and have a bulb inserted into it. Then, when you turned on the rear fogs, you got both tail lights brightened up. Seems to me, in fog you'd want the guy behind to know both where and how wide you are. Any similar item in the 997.2 (presumably a place to plug in an LED bulb on the right)?

Oh, and another vote for the Mod4Cars module on the cab. Had one on my '06 C4 cab and loved it.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
[quote=299moto;2531801]OK,

Questions:
Is it normal to be cleaning the wheels 3 times more often than the car? Or is this just new brake/tire dust?
What's the best to use to clean just the wheels?

Still working my way thru the manual, but can I program the key to chirp or beep when alarm is engaged? I see the lights blink twice, but would like to hear it engage.

Weird thing: when I pull out the fog light switch, the left rear running light gets brighter but no change in front lights. Is that a euro thing? Which lamps are fogs?

Yes on cleaning the wheels.

No on key chirping, but you can hear the locks "thunk."

I have fogs on mine, 997.1 cab, and it takes 2 pulls to get them on, the first pull is the fogs and the second is the rear fog.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Old thread! And you have my car!

I need a smart top BAD. I'm just a little nervous on the install.

One question about the smart top. Can you raise or lower the top outside the car? It's the one thing that surprised me about my car is you can't lower the windows from the key fob to cool it off before you get inside.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Katera
One question about the smart top. Can you raise or lower the top outside the car? It's the one thing that surprised me about my car is you can't lower the windows from the key fob to cool it off before you get inside.
Absolutely can raise and lower top from outside the car. If you time it right, you can lower just the windows. (Can't raise just the windows because that's the last step in raising the top once it's already open). There's a little getting used to with using the key fob to open and close the top -- you have to know just how long to hold down the button on the key fob to get the top to go all the way down or all the way up on its own. But once you learn, you can control the entire process and stop it anywhere you want with the key fob.

Edit: Actually you can raise the windows from the key fob. SmartTop knows whether to open or close the top based on whether the car is locked or unlocked. If the car is locked, you press and hold the lock/unlock key on the key fob, the doors unlock, and the windows open and the top goes down. If you stop the process when the windows are down, the press and hold the lock/unlock key again, the doors will lock, and the windows will close.

Last edited by SSandy; 01-31-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by SSandy
Absolutely can raise and lower top from outside the car. If you time it right, you can lower just the windows. (Can't raise just the windows because that's the last step in raising the top once it's already open). There's a little getting used to with using the key fob to open and close the top -- you have to know just how long to hold down the button on the key fob to get the top to go all the way down or all the way up on its own. But once you learn, you can control the entire process and stop it anywhere you want with the key fob.

Edit: Actually you can raise the windows from the key fob. SmartTop knows whether to open or close the top based on whether the car is locked or unlocked. If the car is locked, you press and hold the lock/unlock key on the key fob, the doors unlock, and the windows open and the top goes down. If you stop the process when the windows are down, the press and hold the lock/unlock key again, the doors will lock, and the windows will close.

Ok this is now a must buy. I bought my car a few months ago and honestly have been dreading the upcoming Houston Summer and how hot it gets here.

So just to verify one last time, I can be standing outside my locked car with the engine off...hit the key fob in some fashion and lower my top to let all the hot air out?

Also, on the install it looks like I have to remove part of my top? Was that difficult? Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
Ok this is now a must buy. I bought my car a few months ago and honestly have been dreading the upcoming Houston Summer and how hot it gets here.

So just to verify one last time, I can be standing outside my locked car with the engine off...hit the key fob in some fashion and lower my top to let all the hot air out?

Also, on the install it looks like I have to remove part of my top? Was that difficult? Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Do a SmartTop search, lots of raves, really is a must have–yes. Install is not a problem. Again, there is a thread with installing hints.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:03 PM

Absolutely, your understanding is correct, plus the mod does a bunch of other neat stuff (look on the mod4cars.com website).

And finally, the instructions are clear and the installation is remarkably easy. Much easier than getting to the CPU in the non-cab coupe. You can download the installation manual from the website prior to ordering.

Oh, and I have absolutely no affiliation with this company!

Here's the direct link to the Porsche 997 SmartTop page:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...ode=view&id=45

Last edited by SSandy; 01-31-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Beru is infamous around these parts
nice stuff

Originally Posted by SSandy
Absolutely, your understanding is correct, plus the mod does a bunch of other neat stuff (look on the mod4cars.com website).

And finally, the instructions are clear and the installation is remarkably easy. Much easier than getting to the CPU in the non-cab coupe. You can download the installation manual from the website prior to ordering.

Oh, and I have absolutely no affiliation with this company!

Here's the direct link to the Porsche 997 SmartTop page:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...ode=view&id=45
Thanks guys, I'm new on the forum and plan to acquire a C4S or C2S in near future. I've never heard about Smartop before today. Is it correct to understand that it does not interfere with any other OEM system on the car ??

Old 02-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Update! I bought a SmartTop module from Pelican parts, it should be here in a few days. I will re-post here when it is installed. Wish me luck