997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New 997.2 4scab owner-Notes & questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:06 AM
299moto is infamous around these parts
New 997.2 4scab owner-Notes & questions

OK,
After 72 hours & over 400 miles (many in our local canyons), all I can say is wow. So nice to drop the top when you want.

This car sticks like no other. Just point & shoot. It feels neither heavy nor slow. So happy I went 4 & not 2. After driving both, the 2 seem to want to push until you got on it, this thing is like a slotcar all the way thru any corner. Spent some good time in a canyons with tight 180 corners & it will not break loose.The pull & push balance seems perfect. And the power is so sweet in those higher R's. Hardly need brakes, just keep her in the R's. Again , wow.

Questions:
Is it normal to be cleaning the wheels 3 times more often than the car? Or is this just new brake/tire dust?
What's the best to use to clean just the wheels?
Wasn't so sure about the classics but after the ease of cleaning, I think they're keepers.
Im thinking I need to start pricing tires soon

Still working my way thru the manual, but can I program the key to chirp or beep when alarm is engaged? I see the lights blink twice, but would like to hear it engage.

Weird thing: when I pull out the fog light switch, the left rear running light gets brighter but no change in front lights. Is that a euro thing? Which lamps are fogs?

PCM-Is the only way to jump from xm/tuner to Ipod by hitting the source button?

Who makes a good lint free cab cover so I dont get any cover fuzz on the top?

TIA.

BTW-Might be real hard to keep this just a weekend car, especially when my 10 YO daughter asked if I could pick her up from school today.

Last edited by 299moto; 09-08-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Man, those wheels are clean!!! I'd have to clean mine every day to keep them like that. I think it is normal - big wheels, big brakes - lots of dust. I really like those Classic wheels - the name fits.

No chirp is available.

That's not a fog light switch - there are no fog lights. Yes, I think it is some Euro parking indicator - check the manual.

You can select iPod by pressing the DISC button - that seems handiest to me. If you have a disc in the slot, you may have to push it twice. Pushing the TUNER button consecutive times will cycle through AM FM SAT.

Congrats - very nice ride!

Last edited by stevepow; 09-08-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:55 AM
mike87 is infamous around these parts
i can vouch for this product, it works extremely well and for a decent price:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+G9524

Old 09-08-2009, 11:25 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
The SmarTop module will provide the chirp feature. No cab should be without a SmarTop, as it allows you to remotely raise and lower the top with the key, as well as other features. It is very easy to install in a cab.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM
njcl55 is infamous around these parts
smart top is a muct on a cab, i have it installed on mine, it took me about 20 mins mins and i'm not mechanically inclined to install it
-makes one touch down on all windows (eliminates the toggle)
-one touch down for the top (dpnt have to hold the top down button)
- open and close teh top from the key (really cool)
- chirp the alarm

great product overall

Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
The SmarTop module will provide the chirp feature. No cab should be without a SmarTop, as it allows you to remotely raise and lower the top with the key, as well as other features. It is very easy to install in a cab.
Thanks for the tip, I had heard of a one touch replacement switch but didnt know it was also remote.
Where can I get it?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 299moto
Thanks for the tip, I had heard of a one touch replacement switch but didnt know it was also remote.
Where can I get it?
It is made by Mods4cars. Check this link.
https://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/ind...partner&menu=1

Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks,

Any socal vendors here that carry this?

Also, need a good indoor cover that wont fuzz up the top,

Anyone?

Old 09-08-2009, 04:31 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by keninirvine
It is made by Mods4cars. Check this link.
https://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/ind...partner&menu=1

I'm tempted to get one of these just for the chirp and one-touch passenger window - I think everything else can it do, Porsche finally got with the plan and included it anyway.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by 299moto
Thanks,

Any socal vendors here that carry this?

Also, need a good indoor cover that wont fuzz up the top,

Anyone?
Pelican Parts is in El Segundo, as shown on the list in the link. Oh, perhaps you were looking for forum sponsors in socal. Too bad you didn't see the used one advertised recently in classifieds for only $200. It sold quickly.

Originally Posted by stevepow
I'm tempted to get one of these just for the chirp and one-touch passenger window - I think everything else can it do, Porsche finally got with the plan and included it anyway.
I got one for my Targa, but it has fewer advantages than the one for the cab. Plus, it is much more challenging to install, as you have to break into the wiring loom next to fuse box, then try to tuck the unit in behind. I found it to be a tight fit. I doubt that I would do it again on a non-cab car.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Another vote for the SmartTop here as well. Couldn't imagine having my car without it. So many features you can customize with it.

FWIW, somebody over on rennlist.com is selling their SmartTop for $200 because they are selling their Cab. Not sure why they don't just include it in the sale but it's for sale. I'll go look for the link but you can probably search on the 997 forum. Thread heading is something to the effect of "Anyone interested in a SmartTop?" or something like that.

Last edited by JoeShark; 09-08-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:53 PM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
The Smart Top went quickly, with in minutes of post.

Has there ever been a Group Buy on these?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have the monoblock wheels (Carerra Sport) on my 997.2S and I do clean them often. I find that my three piece competion wheels on my Turbo are much easier to clean . Since the lip is exposed it takes half the time . However the fact that my Turbo exterior is black makes up for for the ease of the wheels .

Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 PM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by njcl55
smart top is a muct on a cab, i have it installed on mine, it took me about 20 mins mins and i'm not mechanically inclined to install it
-makes one touch down on all windows (eliminates the toggle)
-one touch down for the top (dpnt have to hold the top down button)
- open and close teh top from the key (really cool)
- chirp the alarm

great product overall
Just gave a look to their website. Itīs a great product, with many useful features. Will order one today.

Last edited by J.Seven; 09-09-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 PM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Nice car and report, thanks for sharing.

I have the standart Carrera S Wheels, which look absolutely great, but arenīt easy to keep clean. Iīm also surprised with amount of break dust this brakes provide.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 997.2 4scab owner-Notes & questions