997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tow Hook License Plate Holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Good ole' Larry at Moweraxle. Not the cheapest, but the best never is.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Harvey in MD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jjbravo
Good ole' Larry at Moweraxle. Not the cheapest, but the best never is.
+1...me to

Old 09-17-2009, 05:13 AM
slocumda is infamous around these parts
Aesthetically speaking

I am not fond of drilling holes in the front bumper, but if you live in a state that requires front plates you might as well put it were it looks best. I think the location using the toe hook for attachment does not look good at all. If later on you do move to a state not requiring the front plate, have the front bumper repainted. Surely it's not a matter of money but appearances. I'd be interested to know how many of you like the off set look on a 911? Thanks, Doug

Old 09-17-2009, 06:34 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Interestingly enough, someone complemented me on the unique offset look. Personally, I'm not that crazy about it. Also all of the tow hook solutions suffer from the ability to twist a bit. It is not the perfect answer.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Interestingly enough, someone complemented me on the unique offset look. Personally, I'm not that crazy about it. Also all of the tow hook solutions suffer from the ability to twist a bit. It is not the perfect answer.
Mine does not twist at all. And yes - people notice it as it is not common.

As long as it has no issues with inspections I`m more than OK with it. Hate to make holes in nice bumpers.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 AM
xbar is infamous around these parts
Ordered mine through JCS. He sent me an email about 20 min after I made payment stating that my plate holder had been shipped! Received the holder today - it seems to do the trick. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

One feedback - the screws that are used to hold down the license plate are SHARP and long! Could probably use shorter ones without the pointy tips just in case it gets pressed against the bumper. Nothing that a quick trip to a local hardware store couldn't fix...

Thanks everyone!

BTW, I don't mind the offset look. Per ryem3's comment, I think it makes it look unique.

Last edited by xbar; 09-22-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 AM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
I got mine from JCS as well but have not put it on. I think the off center look has started to catch on. I first noticed them on the Mitsu Evos where dealers started putting the license plate holder under the driver side headlight.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:47 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xbar

One feedback - the screws that are used to hold down the license plate are SHARP and long! Could probably use shorter ones without the pointy tips just in case it gets pressed against the bumper. Nothing that a quick trip to a local hardware store couldn't fix...
Just saw them off. I did it for outer side screws, those that are near to tow hole do not touch anything.
Also, after you get plate secured and tightened - (gently) rotate it for one full circle clockwise - it will tighten it to the limit and it will never move up-down at all.

JCS did a good design, it looks nice and people notice it.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:54 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Yeah, the screws were an issue. I took a dremel and cut them off. When I was doing it, the screws got incredibly hot - I could tell the plastic was getting soft! No ill effects though and no chance of any scratching. I've got mine back on now.....

Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 AM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
Can't remember where I saw the tip, but I put a small rubber stick on bumper foot (from Radio Shack) behind the plate holder where it can be pushed against the bumper.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Just saw them off. I did it for outer side screws, those that are near to tow hole do not touch anything.
Also, after you get plate secured and tightened - (gently) rotate it for one full circle clockwise - it will tighten it to the limit and it will never move up-down at all.

JCS did a good design, it looks nice and people notice it.
Let me clarify - I wasn't knocking on his product. I also think it's well designed, lightweight and is essentially the same product as those offered by competitors, just at half the cost.

My feedback was in efforts to help improve the product - why require the user to saw them off (thick screws btw) or to go out and purchase shorter, blunt ones when he can simply include them? The design was perfect otherwise, and even as is, I am very happy with the product. The screws don't touch the bumper, but there's always a chance that something can knock or push it in.

As I said, I'm satisfied with the purchase. Thanks JCS.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Cool. Thanks for letting us know. These worked for me btw... $0.97!

Attached Images  

Last edited by xbar; 10-01-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Zignasty is infamous around these parts
NO HOLES license plate bracket

I use the GOMINIGO license plate bracket and it works great. Don't know much about the others out there but GMG bracket is easy to use, very durable, and definitely worth the $$$. They have pictures on the website www.gominigo.com so you can see them on various vehicles. Plus if you use promo code JEZ in the notes section they will send a FREE offset bracket with your order.

Cheers!
Zignasty

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-25-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:33 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xbar
Anyone using one of these? Sooner or later, I'm going to be ticketed for not having a license plate on my front bumper, so might as well save myself the trouble.

http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-Porsche.html

http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplatebrackets.html

2nd one looks like it's beefier and better constructed.
I'd appreciate any feedback from people that have used these.

Thanks.
I also recommend the JCS license plate bracket. Contact forum member stumberger_r@msn.com

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-25-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Zignasty is infamous around these parts
NO HOLES license plate bracket

I also live in a state where it is required and was tired of getting pulled over for no front plate. This is the way to go. The GOMINIGO bolt is made of stainless steel where some of the other similar products are aluminum or less durable material. I can't say enough good things about the GMG product!

Cheers!
Zignasty

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tow Hook License Plate Holder