997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GIAC Chip + IPD Plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I have it and do not regret it. Get one too and start praising it for the sake of your $800 spent on it, just be like everybody else, after all. [/quote]

Thank you and well said. +Rep points for you too.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Heck with it, who cares?

Any stupid mod does something. Aerodynamically whether you believe or not IPD plenum is superior to stock part, it is better made, looks nice and enough about it, really. It is in same area as EVO intake - may be it improves overall power in some circumstances, may be in most - does not improve that much but definitely does not make anything worse.

I have it and do not regret it. Get one too and start praising it for the sake of your $800 spent on it, just be like everybody else, after all.
You are definitely right, it is much nicer and much better made then the stock part.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I don't want to come off taking sides. I want to come off making 6speed a place people want to come back to.

Comments like:

biggest improvement plenum and muffler
Mr. Northvan, always negative
you are lost
grow up
absolutely untrue
being a man

Face it, these comments are intended to cut or they are opinions backed up with no facts. I said before you can critize with back up and members can judge for themselves. Critize with only an opinion and it doesn't cut it and it gets everyone upset.

This could be an informative thread with statements backed up with documentation. Now it is a give and take and if someone disagrees with the documentation they can offer their own proof to the counter.

Just because someone is in error on a particular issue means dittly squat. I can vouch for many mistakes and some good corrections myself.

Really guys, we need to make 6speed a better place, check the ego's, show some respect to one another and you will be surprised what we all can learn.

Thanks,
Chad

Last edited by cjv; 09-18-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:14 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Chad,

I agree that we both got close to the line, and I will make sure that I keep past history in the past. I also agree that a post with facts will have additional value, but a great deal of this and every other forum (regardless of subject matter) is based on individual opinions. Thanks for hitting the reset button on this thread, I will behave for the rest of the night

Old 09-19-2009, 09:29 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Chad,

I agree that we both got close to the line, and I will make sure that I keep past history in the past. I also agree that a post with facts will have additional value, but a great deal of this and every other forum (regardless of subject matter) is based on individual opinions. Thanks for hitting the reset button on this thread, I will behave for the rest of the night
Thanks Northvan. I agree with your assessment. There is nothing wrong with opinions unless opinions start to degrade a thread.

I really don't know much about the NA 997, however I would really like to see some testing so I could learn. I can remember about nine years ago when 500 hp for a 996tt was the equilivent of the Holy Grail. It wasn't Porsche that lead the engine improvements. It was members of Fun Cars Online, Rennlist and 6 speed. Yes, we had our heated differences. I had left Rennlist over one on exhaust testing with Porsche PhD. Even though Steven and I remained friends it never was the same. I could have handled it better and I still regret how it ended. Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes.

Now back to the topic.

Last edited by cjv; 09-19-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Chad,

There is a ton of dyno data in the RSS Plenum thread that I posted the link to, you need to make your way through the pages, but it is in that thread.

500hp 996tt is still nice, my 997 C2S only has a measly 355hp at the crank! It is however a Porsche, and has amazing brakes and suspension.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Art, once again, you seem to mistaken, I don't have a beef with this product, and yes I don't have one. I have and will continue to point people towards a thread that does have actual dyno data, like Chad suggested the facts!

If they can feel 5-25hp on 355hp, simply amazing! I can feel the suspension and balance of my car through my seat, but small increases in HP, don't seem to register.

I haven't spoken a word of how this mod works or doesn't work, (but know who did, PM me and I will tell you who did, and even show you the thread), I have only ever pointed people to a thread that will show them the results of an independent test. If they choose to buy it afterwords, then it is based on information provided by others (not me) and then processed by themselves.

Enjoy the B9R, I am sure that it will put your 996tt beyond supercar status.

Last edited by cjv; 09-19-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: deleted the partially offensive part
Old 09-19-2009, 01:25 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
I had a GIAC reflash on top of a full AWE exhaust system & Evo airbox. Indicated +7 RWHP on AWE's Mustang dyno. You could definitely feel the improvement when driving the car afterward.

Subsequent to that, an IPD plenum. The plenum provided more torque & midrange, but I don't have a dyno run to substantiate it. From my experience, both work.

Doing it over, three years later, I would try the Evo or Softronic reflash. Also, probably use an X-51 intake, not then available.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:47 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I asked them if any intake/exhaust change would require custom tune and was told - no, basic file accommodates any change in airflow dynamics. I wonder how, but that was what I was told.

What do you know about this subject - what specific set of mods requires new custom tune file from Softronics?

NorthVan may have his own opinion, as usual, but I stay on same ground as before - on my base C2 car with no sport chrono this flash was a best investment so far - it changed the way how car reacts and runs.
I do not know about the air flow dynamics inside the plenum, if that is what you are asking me about. I was just givinh y opinion on the Softronics ECU flash..that is all.
I am really up in the air about the IPD plenum...didn't AWE dyno test it and found no gain in power? I have a hard time thinking Porsche would not have looked into the air flow dynamics inside the intake. Anyway these are just my thoughts.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:15 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
I do not know about the air flow dynamics inside the plenum, if that is what you are asking me about. I was just givinh y opinion on the Softronics ECU flash..that is all.
I am really up in the air about the IPD plenum...didn't AWE dyno test it and found no gain in power? I have a hard time thinking Porsche would not have looked into the air flow dynamics inside the intake. Anyway these are just my thoughts.
No, I was not speaking about plenum per-se, it was more general about Softronic as it was not clear to me if they have any possibility for customization there at all or not.

Perhaps I can PM them directly to ask what are exact limits of 'base' flash file and where does it come into custom territory.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:17 AM
You should PM Scott, or get his phone number from there website www.softronic.us and call him. He is very knowledgable and will give you straight answers.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:51 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
You should PM Scott, or get his phone number from there website www.softronic.us and call him. He is very knowledgable and will give you straight answers.
For me right now it is strictly theoretical, I have fulfilled my urge to mod my car, now it is time to learn to drive it.

I posted question about tires for auto-x, could you please advice? I plan to put some new tires on my stock 18" after winter so I could burn them instead of expensive 19" PS2s.

PS. I asked Scott before on same topic, general answer was that any exhaust/intake job does not need/require new custom file. He did not elaborate.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Utkinpol, the ECU does adapt some and for minor mods like a intake and exhaust there is not much difference between them all. When you order you Softronics ECU flash they have a space to tell them your engine mods....such as IPD Plenum, free flow mufflers ect.

I noticed in your Signature you already have Softronic listed as a mod?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Utkinpol, the ECU does adapt some and for minor mods like a intake and exhaust there is not much difference between them all. When you order you Softronics ECU flash they have a space to tell them your engine mods....such as IPD Plenum, free flow mufflers ect.

I noticed in your Signature you already have Softronic listed as a mod?
Right, it was done before cats were replaced. That`s why I was sort of curious if it would be required to have new file for re-flash but apparently - not.