997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hate driving towards P-cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:13 AM
talkinghead is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by John McLane
Fellas, Anyone around the country had the same experience or is it a texan thing? Sometimes I have a big foot tailing and if I need to break hard I honestly think that the truck would run over me, literally...
Kinda depends on WHERE in TX you are! ATX metro, less of an issue and generally more friendly. Problem is, a 997 is instantly recognized by bubba, "er uh dats a sportz car, ain't it Clyde?".

An M3, they'd have more difficulty with and be able to read to know it's not just another sedan.

One of the reasons I don't ride a bike on the streets anymore!

Last edited by talkinghead; 09-17-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
DaveC is infamous around these parts
Driving is no longer the sole focus for the vast majority of people on the road.
Cell phones, newspapers, grooming, and drugs/alcohol are all competing for attention to the road in their already emotionally stressed cerebral cortices. Then we come along focused on driving our fancy "Porsh". We must be doing pretty well in our lives to be that attentive to our enjoyment of that car. That's what's provocative, we have the discipline,luxury,and intelligence to live our lives focused on one thing at a given moment solely for our pleasure.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Haven't had any tailgaters or anybody purposely cut me off. If I've noticed anything out of the ordinary, it's when I see a car way off in my rearview mirror who hightails it up to my car, stays a few car lenths behind for awhile, pulls up alongside (on a multi-lane road) and than does a slow drive by with either a stare and/or thumbs-up. All-in-all, I've had positive experiences with my car and the drivers around me.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Haven't had any tailgaters or anybody purposely cut me off. If I've noticed anything out of the ordinary, it's when I see a car way off in my rearview mirror who hightails it up to my car, stays a few car lenths behind for awhile, pulls up alongside (on a multi-lane road) and than does a slow drive by with either a stare and/or thumbs-up. All-in-all, I've had positive experiences with my car and the drivers around me.
This is probably closest to my experience. Seattle/Bellevue is full of Porsches so that probably helps.

Of course having typed this I'm probably going to jinx myself but I do get a lot of positive comments/thumbs up style interactions.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, we in the Pacific Northwest seem to get along with each other pretty well

Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I think you're right. It's pretty chill up here for the most part.

Inattentive and inconsiderate drivers are another story.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 AM
kiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to behold
I usually get cars wanting to race me all the time! I don't see the point, guess everyone wants to say, "I beat a Porsche!" That's fine with me... As far as tailgaiting, I don't really get that often, but to me maybe the slope of the rear window gives the impression that someone is really close behind, I feel that way everytime I come to a stop at a traffic light.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Are you guys, that are experiencing this, driving slow in the fast lane? If you are driving at the speed of traffic flow and the right lane is open then get over and let the speeders pass you on the left.

Jason

Old 09-17-2009, 11:07 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I think a better word choice might be insecurity, transparency and exposure.

Perhaps out of insecurity that frowning wreckless driving individual tries to edify himself in his own mind . It ought not bother anyone . It's pathetic in my opinion. The only bothersome aspect is the safety risk of poor driving of a large truck.
You nailed it here.

I speculate that what they dislike the most is that in one casual look they realize how transparent they make themselves .Once exposed they are even more frustrated because they realize someone is bright enough to figure them out.
You give them too much credit here.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:34 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by talkinghead
Kinda depends on WHERE in TX you are! ATX metro, less of an issue and generally more friendly. Problem is, a 997 is instantly recognized by bubba, "er uh dats a sportz car, ain't it Clyde?".

An M3, they'd have more difficulty with and be able to read to know it's not just another sedan.

That's precious man... I'm now in the Houston area. I do agree that the Durhole area are less prone to hate P cars as well the Boston area, where they are far more common and trucks are less predominant.

One curious thing is that most of us have reports regarding trucks, not so much M3, GTI or Scion like mentioned before. The latter would be more likely to hate a P-car one would think, given that they are somewhat the same crowd that wants to have a Porsche. So, maybe is not envy or jelousy of the car itself but what it represents, aka someone different than you.

The ball-hitch thing I first saw in Durhole. I tought to myself, this is going to be a long year (I had just moved there for one year). I was right. But driving in that area is far more pleasurable than in the TX area. A cop actually let me go with a warning in a back road that was 35 limit and I was 60...Here, they would inspect your prostate for contraband...

I would really love though if people followed the law and used the left lane to pass only, not for sightseeing and NEVER passed using the right lane, as it is in several countries.My take with tailgaters is simple. I either turn off the cruise control and let the car slowly lose speed and they will eventually give up and pass or if I am in a bad mood, turn on the headlights so they think I stepped the breaks. The latter can be really dangerous in Texas, where a gun rack has a gun rack and people are actually told to leave their guns outside. You know when you wish for a cop to get that tailgater speeding and give him a hard time? Never happened to me...

Everyday around here there is a "fast and furious" wannabe trying something different. Amazes me how a truck driver think (or don't) that in the event of an emergency break they would be able to stop their fat *** truck with those modern brakes before running you over.

Last edited by John McLane; 09-17-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:06 PM
nizzoc4s is a jewel in the roughnizzoc4s is a jewel in the roughnizzoc4s is a jewel in the rough
In my region there seems to be a lot of enforcement effort placed on monitoring speed but not enough on improper driving .
You just accurately summed up the situation in every single region of the United States.

I am most especially annoyed by left-lane cruisers. The horrible added truth to it is that most of the culprit drivers are CLUELESS that they're using the left-lane unlawfully, dangerously, annoyingly, retardedly, etc. It would be half as bad if they were intentionally doing it and just felt like they didn't give a rat's *** what others thought.

Because you see, if it were the latter, then they'd totally understand why I just flipped them off after passing them very quick on the right, and then cutting back in front of them with my rear bumper near their front. And then when they flash their high beams on me, I fall back to the side of them and give them a "shove those lights up your ****" look.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nizzoc4s
You just accurately summed up the situation in every single region of the United States.

I am most especially annoyed by left-lane cruisers. The horrible added truth to it is that most of the culprit drivers are CLUELESS that they're using the left-lane unlawfully, dangerously, annoyingly, retardedly, etc. It would be half as bad if they were intentionally doing it and just felt like they didn't give a rat's *** what others thought.

Because you see, if it were the latter, then they'd totally understand why I just flipped them off after passing them very quick on the right, and then cutting back in front of them with my rear bumper near their front. And then when they flash their high beams on me, I fall back to the side of them and give them a "shove those lights up your ****" look.
Not related to topic - I wonder how many people from Boston are here?
We should probably put a post sign for 6speed members next time at Devens.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
In the Seattle area, it seems that some of the young ricers just don't feel they can survive unless they pass me on the road. (yawn)....as if going 75 in a 60 actually proves anything.

That said, I tend to be more apprehensive about people who tailgate the Porsche. If they do that when I'm driving my Ranger -- well, good luck with that....as the vehicle is "disposable." But I'd prefer they stay away from the Porsche...especially as I make sure not to just cruise the left lane, etc. (Given umarked police cars, I'm actually thrilled to have someone tear past me at a "stupid" speed to clear out any cops ahead.)

Indeed, with the consistent "from on-ramp immediately into the middle or left lane" mentality of drivers around the Puget Sound, I find its frequently easy and safest to cruise in the right lane where there is much less traffic (and just pass cars on their right).

I too just love the sweepers that come blowing down the left or HOV lane (there its usually a ricer and his girlfriend)... to draw the attention of the troopers up the road.

But whats with all the hate on the truck nutz?

Of someone is tailgating, I've got now issue slowing down and motivating them to pass, and get up the road a bit.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by talkinghead

LOL..."Hey Clyde, whats your phone number..19?...heck, better write that one down"

In Los Angeles you can't throw a rock without hitting a BMW, Porsche or MB. So this isn't an issue I guess. Sometimes I think about getting a 2010 Mustang GT500 just to be different.

Dave

Old 09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
In Atlanta, the worst problem seems to be people just don't pay attention to what they are doing - I wish they did realize I was driving a Porsche or that they would at least realize I existed.

The other evening on the way to a PCA social, two cars, nearly back to back, made a left right in front of us - and the guy 1 car length and in the right lane ahead of me that blew his horn at both of them probably had to go home and change his shorts - I know they must have been within a couple feet of his car.

A few weeks ago some other moron in an SUV just pulled into my lane obviously having no idea what a side view mirror is for (hers were plenty large) - I almost had to run up on the curb to avoid getting hit. And she has no clue what she has done.

Cell phones , long work days, too much going on, and selfish thoughtless behavior - rush hour traffic is just nuts here. Jealousy or Porsche envy - no - that would take at least some consideration that other drivers even exist.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hate driving towards P-cars