997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hate driving towards P-cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Arrow Hate driving towards P-cars

Fellas
I had nice cars in the past but since I started driving P cars sometimes I have a feeling that some guys just hate you and want to pass as quicly and loudly as they can on a highway, better if they can cut you. It was common in the Durhole area but here in truck land (TX) seems to be worse. With the Boxster it happened from time to time, with a Cayenne not so much (I dont think they know its a Porsche) but with the 997 it's borderline ridiculous. I dont drive more than 10% over the limit, the police here has very little patience and money, so it's not about that...
Anyone around the country had the same experience or is it a texan thing? Sometimes I have a big foot tailing and if I need to break hard I honestly think that the truck would run over me, literally...

Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Here in NorCal I get mostly hate from trucks. They tailgate, pass agressively and often cut off. The other day I was taking a friend for a first drive experience. We were making a left onto a nice windy road but were behind a big turbo diesel full size pickup. The guy floored it to show how cool he was and made it unsafe to pass and unsafe for everyone around. He also put up a smoke screen of diesel exhaust. Lots of jackasses on the road.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
In my region there seems to be a lot of enforcement effort placed on monitoring speed but not enough on improper driving . Also noted are are drivers with repeat violations still on the roads .

Add that to a large vehicle like a truck and the general arrogance of a few owners with big vehicles and small egos .. coupled with a down economy .. and their issues are unleased in the Porsches path .

That's not to say that every truck driver does this and there are also quite a few Porsche owners who disrupt the roads too but the difference is the extreme level of stupidity when a 300 pound meathead thinks he can barrel down a public road in his equally obese truck.

Many of these guys don't even need a truck . They fling open doors in parking lots , toss cigarettes out on other cars , and for some reason just seeing a Porsche is like their anti Christ .

Every once in awhile if you are lucky you may even see one of these trucks with a hitch that hangs two steel ***** resembling ********* and for some reason they need those ***** on their truck to reveal to everyone who truly low class they are .
It doesn't matter that some of those trucks cost over 50K because all that money can not buy class .

Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
^Well said.

It should also be noted that on the flip side I get way more thumbs up and mouth dropping experiences from those that truly appreciate cars with a Porsche.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:45 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
I HATE driving towards 997's because if they have any mods...I tend to like theirs better than I like mine!
The old saying....."Grass is always greener"!

What I should do is switch cars with a local who drives by me everyday....that way I could appreciate my car more,LOL!

Stacy

PS...and it has NOTHING to do with speed..

Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 PM
shuffles is infamous around these parts
I've had the opposite experience to some on this post. Yes, get the occasional M3 or Scion that wants to show off, but people seem to give me space. And can't get a ticket in this car if my life depended on it (just knocked on wood). Have no problem hitting 100mph on the highway every chance I get, so not sure what gives. Not that I'm complaining!

Old 09-17-2009, 03:13 AM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
After a little more time, you will be immuned towards hate from people, just drive your & enjoy. thats the psychology of people who couldn't exert their jealously in no other way but hatred and anger. you cant talk to them nicely, you cant reason with them. they want an instant reaction back from a p-person when they got you off or drive stupidly, the best is not to give any reaction at all. then they will be more pissed off and you will be smiling. just drive along and the rest is their own problem

Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eatbreathdrive
After a little more time, you will be immuned towards hate from people, just drive your & enjoy. thats the psychology of people who couldn't exert their jealously in no other way but hatred and anger. you cant talk to them nicely, you cant reason with them. they want an instant reaction back from a p-person when they got you off or drive stupidly, the best is not to give any reaction at all. then they will be more pissed off and you will be smiling. just drive along and the rest is their own problem
I don't know if it's "jealousy" entirely or "hatred and anger" . These are the words used on this thread by others to descriibe pereceptions about their behavior .

I think a better word choice might be insecurity, transparency and exposure.

Perhaps out of insecurity that frowning wreckless driving individual tries to edify himself in his own mind . It ought not bother anyone . It's pathetic in my opinion. The only bothersome aspect is the safety risk of poor driving of a large truck.

I speculate that what they dislike the most is that in one casual look they realize how transparent they make themselves .Once exposed they are even more frustrated because they realize someone is bright enough to figure them out .

Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shuffles
I've had the opposite experience to some on this post. Yes, get the occasional M3 or Scion that wants to show off, but people seem to give me space. And can't get a ticket in this car if my life depended on it (just knocked on wood). Have no problem hitting 100mph on the highway every chance I get, so not sure what gives. Not that I'm complaining!
Actually - same here - got several thumbs up from truck drivers in town, got passed aggressively by couple corollas and 1 M3. But it is MA, amount of overall hatred in hillbilly country would be more, naturally.

Honestly it is a minor thing, minivans on a highway are way more dangerous as those things are just darting around the road without looking at all. My sister in law has one - I drove them once into airport and no wonder - you cannot see anything from this thing, it has sedan sized little mirrors that do not show anything, to see road behind you they should be at least twice as large.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 AM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
I speculate that what they dislike the most is that in one casual look they realize how transparent they make themselves .Once exposed they are even more frustrated because they realize someone is bright enough to figure them out .
Exactly!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 AM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Honestly it is a minor thing, minivans on a highway are way more dangerous as those things are just darting around the road without looking at all.
+ 1x10^1000

Here in NE, trucks don't mind the sports cars at all. The only people you get problems from are the 3-series and M3 driving crowd who think that just because they managed to get a BMW, they have complete dominion and right to the road, and anyone driving a minivan. I'm not sure what it is about minivan drivers, but male and female alike, they are among the most reckless on the road (speeding, passing illegally, tailgating, etc).

Old 09-17-2009, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by camhabib
+ 1x10^1000

Here in NE, trucks don't mind the sports cars at all. The only people you get problems from are the 3-series and M3 driving crowd who think that just because they managed to get a BMW, they have complete dominion and right to the road, and anyone driving a minivan. I'm not sure what it is about minivan drivers, but male and female alike, they are among the most reckless on the road (speeding, passing illegally, tailgating, etc).
I think that there are a lot of drivers who pressume that because someone bought a Porsche and modified it that he's always up for driving it fast and that's simply not the case . They can't imagine driving a Turbo 30 MPH in a 30 MPH zone .

But with a large vehicle like a truck or minivan .. the car weights enough and handles so poorly that the collision damage and overall road safety is overlooked in favor of ego gratification.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
In the Seattle area, it seems that some of the young ricers just don't feel they can survive unless they pass me on the road. (yawn)....as if going 75 in a 60 actually proves anything.

That said, I tend to be more apprehensive about people who tailgate the Porsche. If they do that when I'm driving my Ranger -- well, good luck with that....as the vehicle is "disposable." But I'd prefer they stay away from the Porsche...especially as I make sure not to just cruise the left lane, etc. (Given umarked police cars, I'm actually thrilled to have someone tear past me at a "stupid" speed to clear out any cops ahead.)

Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 AM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
I never really notice any Porsche haters in NC, but I tend to drive very defensively on freeways/interstates. As a former M3 owner and multiple Porsche owner over the last 12 years or so I've learned (and matured) in my public road driving and just tend to stay as far right as possible and as far back as possible from traffic ahead so that if someone *is* tailgating I have plenty of time to slow down gradually if needed so as not to get run over by the person behind me.

People often notice and stare at my car as they pass me, but I rarely go more that 5mph over; maybe that's why they're staring?

I don't get to the track, but I live in a very rural area with lots of un-patrolled, twisty back roads with very minimal traffic so I get my ya-yas out on weekends with the occasional back road burn. My biggest concern is deer which are everywhere this time of year, frequently in herds, out in my neck of the woods and they have no compunction about actually charging a car and head-butting it. This happened to my wife's ex-530xit wagon a couple of years ago.

I do wish that law enforcement officials would spend more time chasing down aggressive drivers/tailgaters and less time worrying about very competent cars driving faster than the legal speed limit in a non-aggressive manner i.e. not weaving in and out of heavy traffic, but they do seem overly focused on that area of law enforcement.

I know this is a bit off subject from the OP, but if we focused more on driver education in this country and adopted a similar program to what they have in Germany a lot of problems would be solved and we could all drive faster safer.

Maybe I should get a big pair of those big, swinging ***** to hang under my Carrera's license plate?! Those have got to be the stupidest and one of the most offensive things I've ever seen. Hard to explain to my 9 year old daughter.

For those with long commutes like mine I suggest a second vehicle for getting to and from work. I actually really like my Jetta TDI. It gets about 46mpg average, costs next to nothing to buy and to run, is very comfortable both in seating position and ride, has most creature comforts you expect in a modern car, an enormous trunk and is very stealth.....other than the Laser Blue color which my 12 year old daughter picked since it will become her car in 4 years. I actually drive this car as slowly and accelerate from a stop as slowly as is safe and treat the MPG as a video game always seeing if I can best my previous "high score". I achieved 52mpg on my commute home last night which was a personal best.

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 09-17-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by yrralis1
In my region there seems to be a lot of enforcement effort placed on monitoring speed but not enough on improper driving . Also noted are are drivers with repeat violations still on the roads .

Add that to a large vehicle like a truck and the general arrogance of a few owners with big vehicles and small egos .. coupled with a down economy .. and their issues are unleased in the Porsches path .

That's not to say that every truck driver does this and there are also quite a few Porsche owners who disrupt the roads too but the difference is the extreme level of stupidity when a 300 pound meathead thinks he can barrel down a public road in his equally obese truck.

Many of these guys don't even need a truck . They fling open doors in parking lots , toss cigarettes out on other cars , and for some reason just seeing a Porsche is like their anti Christ .

Every once in awhile if you are lucky you may even see one of these trucks with a hitch that hangs two steel ***** resembling ********* and for some reason they need those ***** on their truck to reveal to everyone who truly low class they are .
It doesn't matter that some of those trucks cost over 50K because all that money can not buy class .
+1. Are you a mind reader? Exactly what I think specially the lines about the dangling scrota! I see a lot of those in my part of Florida. Class can neither be bought with money indeed nor is it a pre-requisite for having it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hate driving towards P-cars