997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PSDS was great! Impressed by the PDK.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Thumbs up PSDS was great! Impressed by the PDK.

Did the 2 day basic PSDS this week, was a phenomenal experience. Highly recommended for any novice (like myself). Drove the base 09 C2 on the track w/ 6spd for first day and half and then the C2S w/ PDK 2nd day (Cayman/Boxster for slalom and C2 for skidpad). The difference between the manual C2 and the PDK C2S is night and day, and especially for the novice on a track, the PDK is fantastic. I'm definitely going to heavily consider this option for my next P-car. I admit the shifting buttons were confusing, but from what I understand they take a week or two to get used to, and auto mode was perfect anyway.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Its interesting they offered the C2 manual and then the C2S PDK.

They wanted to make sure you felt a difference. Smart marketing move.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 PM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
Can you choose if MT or PDK ?

Or the instructors have the final word on what transmission to use ?

Old 09-17-2009, 06:35 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carfan
Can you choose if MT or PDK ?

Or the instructors have the final word on what transmission to use ?

you can request a manual when you sign up.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
you can request a manual when you sign up.
Thanks, but I would like to request a PDK car, as I own a C4S with PDK and would love to learn more about it on track as I am paying for the driving school

My main goal would be improve my driving skills along with knowing better my car

Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
That is exactly what I did...I asked for a PDK car when I did the course in July...it was soooo fun. I learned a lot about the transmission, and Hurley Haywood and the other guys taught me some neat tricks...worth it to go and play with PDK on a track if you have it at home...highly recommended.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by carfan
Thanks, but I would like to request a PDK car, as I own a C4S with PDK and would love to learn more about it on track as I am paying for the driving school

My main goal would be improve my driving skills along with knowing better my car

yes...you can request either...but i suggest with a PDK request you sign up as early as possible...

Old 09-17-2009, 08:15 PM
yes...you can request either...but i suggest with a PDK request you sign up as early as possible...
I'll take note of that !

Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Just wait till you drive a C2S PDK on the track with Sport Chrono PLUS mode on...major difference in shifting...you will love PDK at the track.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Its interesting they offered the C2 manual and then the C2S PDK.

They wanted to make sure you felt a difference. Smart marketing move.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Sorry, let me clarify. The C2 on the skidpad was PDK, as were the Boxster/Caymen S used on the autoX.

I agree part of it was marketing, but a large part of it was the fact they wanted us to progress slowly on the track, and starting w/ the C2 manual we did the whole track the first day in 4th gear alone, only incorporating heel/toe and 3rd gear the 2nd day. If they threw complete novices in w/ the C2S PDK the first day, we (or at least I) would have had to worry more about modulating the throttle than taking the proper line.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:01 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JCBH
That is exactly what I did...I asked for a PDK car when I did the course in July...it was soooo fun. I learned a lot about the transmission, and Hurley Haywood and the other guys taught me some neat tricks...worth it to go and play with PDK on a track if you have it at home...highly recommended.
Can you share with us some of those PDK tricks you learn .

Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 AM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Well, one of them that I thought was cool was when upshifting, you can simply roll your thumb onto the paddle, rather than take your hand off the wheel...it works really well, and gives you more stability, especially at higher speeds/concentration...also took me through the different transmission modes (although Sports Chrono/Sport/Sport + settings are disabled by the school so there is no way to change any traction settings by the user).
However, we tried different laps on the Autocross and large track using the transmission in manual mode and straight Drive mode (with and without shifting override in straight drive mode). It was neat to see that for the most part, the transmission did a better job than I did...which is exactly what the instructors said would happen.
There is also a "detent" in the transmission's kickdown feature...where it will hold the gear that much longer...really cool. We tried this on the Autocross course in a Cayman S PDK...it downshifted back to 1st gear when he was slowing down in a turn. Really neat.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:06 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
It is pretty cool that they had Hurley haywood there!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah...Hurley is a great guy...very informed about all things Porsche, and had some great insight (at the time) on the Panamera, new GT3, etc...I got to do a hot lap with him driving a 911 Turbo, at the end of the class, and he said his favorite feature on any Porsche has to be the ventilated seats!!! I happen to agree.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:07 PM
KenMarks is infamous around these parts
I attended the PSDS at Barber on Sept 15 and 16, 2009. I have a C4S with PDK and asked for a PDK at the school. I only drove the PDK on the track. One trick that I learned was that when downshifting, simply hold the downshift button on the steering wheel while braking and the PDK will go down to the lowest gear for the speed. I found myself coming out of the hairpin at Barber in 1st gear a few times. But mostly, I found the PDK was very intuitive and if left alone the right gear will be found. I could concentrate on the racing line and not worry too much about gear changes. Great course and I am already planning my return.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSDS was great! Impressed by the PDK.