997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

200 cell cats and CEL's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
200 cell cats and CEL's

So, I'm in the midst of a header replacement and have run in to some problems with my cat bolts. This may just be the incentive I need to swap the stock cats with some 200 cel pieces.
But I have been warned by some experts that this is a risky move - in that many 200 cell installs frequently trigger CEL's. I really don't like this. I'm not the kind of person who can ignore a CEL, and I don't want to spend a lot of time with my dealer or local tech resetting them.
So, what's the story? Are some cars/years/models riskier than others? Are some cats more troublesome than others? I'd favor a Fabspeed x-pipe (because I have their mufflers, x-pipes are highly recommended in the Ford GT crowd, and I've been impressed with the folks and products at Fabspeed) but they are less mature technology. Might even ask Fabspeed (if I bought them) that, if they triggered CEL's that I would be refunded.
Opinions and data wanted!!
V

Old 09-20-2009, 05:29 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
So, I'm in the midst of a header replacement and have run in to some problems with my cat bolts. This may just be the incentive I need to swap the stock cats with some 200 cel pieces.
But I have been warned by some experts that this is a risky move - in that many 200 cell installs frequently trigger CEL's. I really don't like this. I'm not the kind of person who can ignore a CEL, and I don't want to spend a lot of time with my dealer or local tech resetting them.
So, what's the story? Are some cars/years/models riskier than others? Are some cats more troublesome than others? I'd favor a Fabspeed x-pipe (because I have their mufflers, x-pipes are highly recommended in the Ford GT crowd, and I've been impressed with the folks and products at Fabspeed) but they are less mature technology. Might even ask Fabspeed (if I bought them) that, if they triggered CEL's that I would be refunded.
V
I cannot comment on any thing other THAN my car!
I have AWE cats and not a single problem!
Actually two problems...I like the sound so damn much I am always on the gas so my fuel mileage is way down and pretty good chance one of these days I will get a ticket,LOL!!!!

I love them and next to the supercharger,probably the best power gain for the buck!

Stacy

Old 09-20-2009, 05:29 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
V
Again, my car is different from yours but so far for 2 months of pretty hard driving including auto-x on fabspeed xpipe plus maxflo mufflers - no CELs.

After I sealed all the leaks between cats and mufflers (better consider getting new clamps rather than fight with original stock ones - or ask Fabspeed guys to throw them in for free ) sound became just perfect - respectful roar at 3K+, pretty silent at idle, no side effects, no droning. I think you will like it.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:46 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I believe the CEL issue occurred on the first generation AWE cats. There is a fix apparently available to reposition the O2 sensors. I installed the newer 2nd generation ones recently, and have not had any CEL issues with them.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Two years and 15kmiles no CEL...

Dave

Old 09-20-2009, 05:58 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Most of your top Exhaust makers have had time to get it right by now. There were some issues when the 997 generation first came out but within the last 2 years or so they've sorted through the crap material suppliers and you should be fine.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Ooh, this is very encouraging. My wife will hate all of you.
Has anyone heard the x-pipe (fabspeed) and the AWE cats? Any comment on the sounds of both/each?

But - I'd still like to know if anyone had any details about the cat-to-header oem bolts. Can they be pressed out while the cat is still on the car?

Last edited by Verde; 09-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Ooh, this is very encouraging. My wife will hate all of you.
Has anyone heard the x-pipe (fabspeed) and the AWE cats? Any comment on the sounds of both/each?

But - I'd still like to know if anyone had any details about the cat-to-header oem bolts. Can they be pressed out while the cat is still on the car?

The non Xpipe cats will be louder, the xpipe has a way of quieting things down a tad but it does also have a different tonal quality.

Dave

Old 09-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks. For me, quieter is better, so this is encouraging. Any further comment on 'the different tonal quality' or a pointer to a (video) recording?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
The non Xpipe cats will be louder, the xpipe has a way of quieting things down a tad but it does also have a different tonal quality.

Dave

Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
No issues with the AWE 200 cel cats. I bought mine used too.

With your header to cat bolt issue, it'll probably be better to drop the headers and cats together. I know, big pain in the rear. But once off of the car, you'll have much better access to the bolt problem.

Let me know if you want to get together again to listen to my set up if you're on the fence.

Good luck!

Andre

Old 09-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. Seems like the right path to follow. Does anyone have a pointer to a DIY rear bumper removal. I heard it's easy and if I'm going to get in this deep, might as well go in all the way.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Andre5
No issues with the AWE 200 cel cats. I bought mine used too.

With your header to cat bolt issue, it'll probably be better to drop the headers and cats together. I know, big pain in the rear. But once off of the car, you'll have much better access to the bolt problem.

Let me know if you want to get together again to listen to my set up if you're on the fence.

Good luck!

Andre

Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the advice. Seems like the right path to follow. Does anyone have a pointer to a DIY rear bumper removal. I heard it's easy and if I'm going to get in this deep, might as well go in all the way.
Thanks
You do not need to take down rear bumper to take off cats. Just take off airbox and release wires for O2 sensors and drop them down so you could un-screw them after you get cats off the car.

go with fabspeed x-pipe, only check with fabspeed if your muffler`s pipes are of appropriate length -when I got my cats I discovered that to fit stock mufflers fabspeed cat pipes had to be shortened, so if your mufflers do fit stock cats - just make sure your xpipe cat pipe will fit your mufflers. Alex should know the right answer for you.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Just take off airbox ....
Can you say what's holding on the airbox? Is it just a few bolts? I'm guessing I take out a few bols and it just lifts off?

Thx.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Verde if you already have our Maxflo mufflers than the X-Pipe 200 cell sportcats will directly bolt-up with no cutting required. Here is a video clip of the X-Pipe sportcats installed with our Maxflo muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRJNMKvRRLo

Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by CMOS
Can you say what's holding on the airbox? Is it just a few bolts? I'm guessing I take out a few bols and it just lifts off?

Thx.
Nothing really holds it, there are no bolts there. Remove those 2 fastenings that hold air hose in place (do not touch other end that`s connected to throttle body) then slip air hoses from airbox then just pull entire airbox up and it will go.

prior to pulling airbox off release 2 plastic clams that hold wires - you`ll se `em and also disconnect connector on MAF sensor - it may be a little tough but will let go. I think there are more detailed instructions on renntech forum if you search for them with pictures of this process.

You will see 2 rubber inserts under airbox and near to you is an another insert that slips off.

If you want to change air filter at same time - turn airbox over and it will be 8 screws there to undo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 200 cell cats and CEL's