997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rattle from E-brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:52 PM
montreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Rattle from E-brake

Hi Guys,

This is driving me nuts! I have a noise (rattle) that seems to be coming from the e-brake area every time I hit a bump which is very often in Montreal. Any of you experience this or would know what would cause it ? Does warranty cover the fix of such noises?

Thanks Guys,

Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Ahh, Porsche rattles.
Sadly, they are part of the Porsche experience, it would seem. While I haven't heard of a rattle in that specific location, here is what I can tell you about Porsche rattles:

-they are common
-they are often plastic on plastic
-they can be isolated by driving with a passenger next to you using a stethoscope
-once isolated, parts are often easy to take apart and repair with some felt tape or a screwdriver

Good luck, and keep us posted.
CATTMAN

Old 09-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Aha! I have perhaps diagnosed this for you. I am changing out my ebrake, and in so doing, discovered that there is, under the leather handle, a metal sheath, within which is a plastic rod. The plastic rod has some waggle room within the metal sheath. When the leather cover is on, and the alumalook cap is on the end, it should hold the entire piece pretty still. However, there really is some wiggle/ waggle between the plastic and the metal, and it does/ can rattle.

I drove today with the leather handle off (just using the exposed metal sheath with interior plastic rod), and there was a really constant and irritating rattle. I am placing a new leather handle on tomorrow, so expect that it'll go away.

If this is what ails you, you can fix it! Slide off the rear leather piece, instructions on the MACarbon site, then remove the alumalook plug/ cap, then work the leather ebrake handle until it slides off. At that point, the metal sheath with the plastic rod will be exposed. A small rubber o-ring can be used: slide it around the plastic rod, and wedge it between the plastic rod and the metal sheath. Viola!

Hope that helps.
CATTMAN