997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

996 Twin Turbo or 997 C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 AM
kagangen is infamous around these parts
996 Twin Turbo or 997 C4S

04 Turbo vs. 06 C4S, both similarly equipped and within 7 grand of each other in price. What would you buy? I am torn over the turbo's performance vs. the 997's looks, interior and overall technological advantages.

I will not track the car. I will drive it spiritedly, but not recklessly (in my 40's).

Old 09-23-2009, 06:45 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
I am in my 50s and I race these cars. Follow the example of the actor Paul Newman - he was competitive even at age 80.

The 997 will have higher build quality and more features (sat/nav) etc, but at some point, don't you ask yourself - why buy a 911 at all? There are a number of less expensive cars with great power and better creature comforts.

If it were me, I would buy a 996 Turbo and modify the heck out of it. But these cars were designed to be driven fast, period.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kagangen
04 Turbo vs. 06 C4S, both similarly equipped and within 7 grand of each other in price. What would you buy? I am torn over the turbo's performance vs. the 997's looks, interior and overall technological advantages.

I will not track the car. I will drive it spiritedly, but not recklessly (in my 40's).
There is not that much snow in NJ so best car for the money would be CPO 06/07 C2s. My point is - if you in that budget - try to get a car with some warranty left, late `06 car with CPO will keep you up on warranty until 2012 or so.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Sub4 is infamous around these parts
Have you driven them both? I think that would make your choice a lot clearer. I would take the 4S for a few reasons: More traditional curvy shape, similar enough performance, sharper throttle response, wonderful close-ratio gear box, and a more modern interior. My test drive of a 2S was a thrilling, visceral experience. The 996 turbo was also fun, but different. But both cars are superb, and I doubt you'd be disappointed with either...but test drive as much as you can.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:00 PM
funny cuz i posted this in 996 turbo as well and their answers were skewed toward their car and urs towards yours. guess ill drive them both. my gut says 997 by leaps and bounds. how fast can i drive in NJ?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:08 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
funny cuz i posted this in 996 turbo as well and their answers were skewed toward their car and urs towards yours. guess ill drive them both. my gut says 997 by leaps and bounds. how fast can i drive in NJ?
I would say something about 178 mph.

Try new `09 car with PDK+SC as well prior to committing into 997.1. May be not in budget but it would be worth to know the options.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Here's a consideration. How are you going to drive it? Commuter? Weekend toy? Short trips and hot laps or long cruises with people in the passenger or back seats? The 997 is a more versatile and more comfortable for passengers yet a ton of fun and everything a 911 should be. I bet the 996 TT can be an awesome weekend car, especially modded as someone suggested. For the limited purposes you don't need the comfort. If you sit in the 996 and then sit in the 997, it can be hard to go back in time - just to warn you.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:33 AM
the car will be my daily driver. i have 2 kids, who will have to get in the back from time to time. i think i am going with the 997. seems to me the 996 turbo arguments are really geared toward those who want to track the car and/or kids whose only argument for everything is horsepower.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 AM
nota_troll is infamous around these partsnota_troll is infamous around these parts
I was in the same boat. I had cars that need to be rev'd (M3/993) and a torque monster like the M5. What I've learned is I like the racier motors. The 997S has a nice blend. I was shopping for a 996TT but then I drove a 997S. What I found startling was the difference in finish of the two cars. While the 996TT isn't cheap the 997 is a nicer place especially if you are going to use it daily.

For stock performance you aren't giving too much away to the 997S but if you are a power junkie the turbo, obviously, will satisfy that craving.

When ever I buy a car I'm always asking myself if I bought a (997) and saw a (996TT) would I say to myself "I wish I bought that!". That helps persuade me.

Either is great and makes any day a good day if you're in a 911. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
the car will be my daily driver. i have 2 kids, who will have to get in the back from time to time. i think i am going with the 997. seems to me the 996 turbo arguments are really geared toward those who want to track the car and/or kids whose only argument for everything is horsepower.
997S hands down. My 7 and 10 year old love getting in the back seat, better than when I had an E46 M3. And the PASM is a plus - you put it on "normal" and the freeway ride is almost cushy. Sometimes I don't like it, but if you commute, some times you just don't want to get beat up. BUT, sit in and drive both to decide. It's your money, after all.
Before I bought my 997, I took my kids to a dealership and had them get in. It was much better to get their sign off before you get it than deal with the grief afterwards.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:25 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
To me the exterior and interior of the 997 outweigh the high-end power of the TT. I'm never disappointed in the power of my T4S, even though I know a TT will accelerate much faster in a straight line run. I drove my work partner's 996 TT with X50 power package, and under normal driving it felt almost exactly like mine (but with an inferior interior). The only difference came when I nailed it and that thrust kicked in.
If you don't need AWD, go for a 997 C2S.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 PM
xbar is infamous around these parts
To echo everyone's opinion, you'd only want the 996TT if you wanted a faster car. The 4S is better in almost all other category.

Depending on which cars you've had in the past, I'd guess that you'd be just as thrilled flooring a 9974S as you would a 996TT.

My $0.02.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:03 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
or...get the 997S and install a VF-Engineering supercharger. You get the new interior with the 996TT performance.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
or...get the 997S and install a VF-Engineering supercharger.
And I know where you can get one.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:28 AM
is there a huge difference in the driving characeteristics between the c2s and c4s? for point of reference, i currently drive an audi s4 convertible and my last car was and e46 m3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Twin Turbo or 997 C4S