997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Heading for the track at Mosport for the first time-any advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 AM
stacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nice
Heading for the track at Mosport for the first time-any advice

Finally I get to try this car out. Am unsure as to settings etc. 4Scabpdketc. Any advice would be welcome as this is only my first try at this!

Last edited by stacheman; 09-23-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 AM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
Settings will depend on the type of tires you have and if your car has PASM. Being your first time, I'd suggest an instructor. Have fun!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 AM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
I would highly also recommend that you try Toronto Motorsports Park, in Cayuga, which is actually quite close to Burlington. I was there this past Sunday in my Boxster S and it was a blast. Had some in class instruction, then some in car. There were some nice cars out this past weekend. 3 996 Turbos, a Vantage N400, Lotus Elise and even a Mercedes/Mclaren SLR !!

By the way, if you YouTube Mosport you can see in car clips of people lapping and it will give you a good mental picture of the track which is very helpful.

Check out this clip of the Mosport track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnxVl...eature=channel

I've heard the Mosport track is quite a bit more challenging. Have fun and let us know how it goes! B

Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Listen to the instructions, ask questions, and leave the ego at home. You will quickly find that your driving skills are a lot lower then what you originally thought.

Have fun and keep the shinny side up.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
stacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nice
Apparently they divide the day into three segments: skid pad, track time and slalom.
When on track the instructor is with you all the time.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Coming from a guy who's first track day was about two weeks ago, the hardest part for me was keeping my eyes up track. I don't know if this is your first track day ever or just with the p-car, but I found that looking at where you are going next was the most difficult. During normal driving on the street you are usually always looking at the car ahead of you or the road right in front of you to avoid accidents, check for brake lights, etc.. Its just a little hard to get use to. Your first couple laps will probably be fairly slow compared to what you want to do, but you need to pick up the driving line and the easiest way for me to do that was to just leave the car in 4th (unless its a very slow corner) and focus on the racing line. Throughout the day as your instructor gains more confidence in you I'm sure he will let you start moving through the gears, but my first track day was very very wet so I was trying to keep my instructor and I alive haha. Hope you have fun though, I heard Mosport was VERY fast. Its the fastest circut of the ALMS series.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:30 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Listen to the instructions, ask questions, and leave the ego at home. You will quickly find that your driving skills are a lot lower then what you originally thought.

Have fun and keep the shinny side up.
+1...do not worry about the cars settings. Listen to your instructor. the car in stock form with PASM set to normal is faster than what you can go now. So just go to the even with an open mind, leave the ego at home and have a great learning experiance and wonderfull weekend.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:42 PM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Never been at Mosport in a car, but raced my bike there numerous times, great track...just take care in corner #2, very tricky especially if your going into it very hot!!

Good luck and have fun.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 PM
gteehan is infamous around these parts
If you're doing skid pad, track time and slalom then you may be at the driver development track, not the big track. Do you know?
If it is the dev track you don't have much to worry about. It's smaller, slower and safer than the big track. If you look it up on Google Maps you'll see the tracks next to each other (there are a few actually). The dev track is furthest west and the big track, well, it's the big one to the east.

Either way, have fun!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Ridleyguy is infamous around these parts
The small track at Mosport is a 2nd and 3rd gear track, but lots of fun.

I also agree with Misanors4's comment completely ... " the hardest part for me was keeping my eyes up track". Lifting off the gas in (some) corners may be something else to be thinking about also if you are new to this!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
some good advice from other posts to your question. Two main things that you'll start learning, 1) how to drive your car and 3) how to drive the track (driving the line).

Once you've gotten comfortable with the line, breaking points, turn in, etc. you'll naturally build up confidence and speed. One thing I learned from my instructors about driving on a track is to TURN YOUR HEAD before going into a turn and look at the TURN OUT. This gives you a great perspective and helps you gauge when you should turn the wheel to hit the apex, etc.

All I can say is its a blast and feels great when you do it right. When not, its feels and looks ugly.

Take your time and enjoy. Pretty soon, you'll be drinking the track day coolaid.