997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

CA residents: Out of State purchase/CA-Import?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I've done this twice and you need to follow the advice - pay only the CA sales tax (need the proper forms for that), get it smogged, get it 'inspected' (they are concerned that it is not an assembly of stolen/mismatched s/n parts) and then register/pay for it all.
I did this with my Porsche and Ford GT. The second time I was more savvy about finding a place that knows the process and it friendly re the s/n inspection (I didn't want too many probing hands on the GT). Mine was done in No. CA, but it went smoothly. Just prepare to spend some time getting it done.
Oh and yes, the 49 states thing is from the past.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:09 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simrohor
On the website, CA dmv states that the newer-than-four year exemption from smog certification does not apply to out-of-state vehicles. But one "telephone technician" at their 800 number today told me that as long as the vehicle is brand new, a smog certificate is not needed. This seems inconsistent with their online information.

I am calling again to see if I can get a firm answer.
Is anyone surprised that California DMV employees and websites provide inconsistent advice? What else should we expect from our highly paid state employees with fat benefit packages? Oh yes, and on top of that, we get to pay what must be the highest sales tax and registration fees for our cars ($947 registration renewal for me this year on my 2 year old car), plus we pay sales tax on the full price of used vehicles (not net of trade-in value). And despite all this revenue, we still manage to run huge deficits.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:12 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Is anyone surprised that California DMV employees and websites provide inconsistent advice? What else should we expect from our highly paid state employees with fat benefit packages? Oh yes, and on top of that, we get to pay what must be the highest sales tax and registration fees for our cars ($947 registration renewal for me this year on my 2 year old car), plus we pay sales tax on the full price of used vehicles (not net of trade-in value). And despite all this revenue, we still manage to run huge deficits.
Yeah it's ridiculous and now they're closed most Fridays...

Old 09-23-2009, 05:29 PM
bjandeleit is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
Uh-oh now you have the PDK vs Manual dilemma when buying new. If you get PDK your wife will love you for it.

Hi ntlgnt1:

My dear wife drives only stick (imola yellow/black leather/full sports package from Germany Audi Avant quattro)! Every day 80 miles through the Santa Cruz Mountains and back. I think PDK would be out of question for her (but I do not know for sure)

I believe that I'm the most procrastinating and undecisive individual in terms of P-car purchasing capabilities. But I'm German (and "German" about my decision processes) AND also a scientist (analysis-paralysis-type). That makes me thinking about P-cars for about 8 h/day, being constantly on cars.com/autotrader.com/ebay/motors, configurating my dream car x-times in my mind or through the Porsche car configurator just to start all over again without bying one. That's my dilemma for the last year. Go figure.

~ Bernd

Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bjandeleit
Hi ntlgnt1:

My dear wife drives only stick (imola yellow/black leather/full sports package from Germany Audi Avant quattro)! Every day 80 miles through the Santa Cruz Mountains and back. I think PDK would be out of question for her (but I do not know for sure)

I believe that I'm the most procrastinating and undecisive individual in terms of P-car purchasing capabilities. But I'm German (and "German" about my decision processes) AND also a scientist (analysis-paralysis-type). That makes me thinking about P-cars for about 8 h/day, being constantly on cars.com/autotrader.com/ebay/motors, configurating my dream car x-times in my mind or through the Porsche car configurator just to start all over again without bying one. That's my dilemma for the last year. Go figure.

~ Bernd
Bernd, have you taken Porsche up on their First Mile offer? It's a gimmick I realize to get you in the door, but would be a nice pressure free opportunity for you (and your wife if she desires) to test drive the new cars including PDK . Once you do I'm sure your paralysis will subside (as it did for me):

https://www.porschedealer.com/firstmile20/

-Steve

Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I agree with your wife . Get the new car . It will pass emissions for any state . Just make sure you act before Sept 30 because now is the best time to score a deal . In fact another 6speeder bought the last Turbo coupe in my home town at The Collection . I met him there and he was very happy with the sales experience and car. He drove it home but could have transported it .
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rbo-owner.html

Good luck in your search and if you happen to end up in Miami let me know .

As for stick or PDK . I have both and like both .
You can't go wrong with either .
My gf was completely set on manual until she drove PDK . She likes it even more than i do where she is 100 percent PDK thrilled whreas I like both equally .

I do feel that if this is your first Porsche 911 .. it ought to be a manual .

Last edited by yrralis1; 09-24-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Gradoholic is infamous around these parts
I moved from NY to CA with 5000 miles on my car and the DMV required 7500 miles on the odometer before they would register it, so I drove it nonstop for three days to put 2500 miles on my car. Not sure if that still applies now, this happened in 1999.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:52 AM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
I was told by an out of state dealer that I needed to pay CA sales tax at time of purchase as they share this arrangement with CA.

Is there a way to delay this payment till the car arrives in CA?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 AM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 997xpress
I was told by an out of state dealer that I needed to pay CA sales tax at time of purchase as they share this arrangement with CA.

Is there a way to delay this payment till the car arrives in CA?
This is fine. Some states/dealers require this. Just make sure you have all the documentation in hand when you go to the DMV.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 PM
bluebear is infamous around these parts
On this topic - California requires that you pay sales tax on all purchaes of used cars, dealer or private party. Do other states (that have sales tax) also have this requirement? I have heard that many states only require sales tax on new cars. Can anyone shed any light?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bluebear
On this topic - California requires that you pay sales tax on all purchaes of used cars, dealer or private party. Do other states (that have sales tax) also have this requirement? I have heard that many states only require sales tax on new cars. Can anyone shed any light?
I believe most states require sales tax on the difference in value between trade-in and purchase price. Obviously this only works when done through a dealer, since PP sales don't involve trade-in. I think California is one of the few states that requires full tax on purchase price of a used car regardless of any trade-in value. This state is a vulture when it comes to taxing.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 AM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
I finished this yesterday. I had made an appt at DMV had car, smog cert & paperwork in hand and headed over. Problem was there was nowhere to park the car and the DMV is not in the customer service business so I left and went to autoclub.

At the autoclub I learned that because I ran the private party sale through a dealer that they could not register it because they can not do dealer sales only private party. I was able to get the car verified there at the autoclub which was a big help so at least I didn't have to bring car back to DMV. I then took verification paperwork and all back to DMV and finished the job. Paid fees etc and car is now in my name thankfully.

The tax question has come up a couple times and it really doesn't matter if you pay in state you bought or not. If you pay in state you bought the form will credit you that amount if not you just pay whole amount here. My bill at DMV yesterday was $9709. Ouch!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by 996toomey
My bill at DMV yesterday was $9709. Ouch!
Welcome to California. $9709 in taxes, and your DMV employees still don't believe in customer service.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 AM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Welcome to California. $9709 in taxes, and your DMV employees still don't believe in customer service.
I didn't want to go into the whole DMV story my first trip over yesterday morning but I'll just leave it at unbelievable (in a bad way).

OT: How do you quote just a part of a post?

Thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CA residents: Out of State purchase/CA-Import?