997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

CA residents: Out of State purchase/CA-Import?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM
simrohor is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996toomey
At the autoclub I learned that because I ran the private party sale through a dealer that they could not register it because they can not do dealer sales only private party. I was able to get the car verified there at the autoclub which was a big help so at least I didn't have to bring car back to DMV. I then took verification paperwork and all back to DMV and finished the job. Paid fees etc and car is now in my name thankfully.
996toomey, this is useful information for me, thanks. I was going to call AAA but I now know they do not do dealer-registration.

My car will be transported this week/weekend from WA to Los Angeles and unless I hear back from the dealer in WA about what to do, I will follow your example and go to AAA for inspection and smog certification, and then to DMV for the paper work.

I will report back in about two weeks.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996toomey

OT: How do you quote just a part of a post?

Thank you.
I just quote the whole message, then delete what I don't want to include. I'm sure this is a clumsy way and hope someone can describe something easier.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 AM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by simrohor
996toomey, this is useful information for me, thanks. I was going to call AAA but I now know they do not do dealer-registration.

My car will be transported this week/weekend from WA to Los Angeles and unless I hear back from the dealer in WA about what to do, I will follow your example and go to AAA for inspection and smog certification, and then to DMV for the paper work.

I will report back in about two weeks.
Just to be clear you get the smog cert at a Test Only station. Autoclub will verify CA Emissions sticker as part of the VIN verification. FYI sticker is located under rear hood next to Mobil One sticker.

Also, to get Autoclub to do just the verification I had to explain my earlier troubles at the DMV so it may take a supervisor approval.

Just to give you a heads up.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 AM
simrohor is infamous around these parts
The Los Angeles branch of AAA (near USC) has a test-only center so I'll get the smog cert there and then make an appt at a DMV and deal with the rest. Thanks for the heads up.