997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2yr/20k mile service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:06 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
My car will be out of warranty by next year's major service. By then, it will be 4 years since I've owned it and no longer have any incentive to take it to the Stealer if my local independent can do it for less. So, I'll have them bid for my business and go to the cheaper one. I take my other 911 to the independent so I feel OK with their level of service.

By the way, on my 2006 manual, the 2 year brake fluid change is a separate service from the 20k, 40k, 60k mile etc. service. One is also supposed to do the Air Bag service (don't know what they do there) after 4 years and every 2 thereafter, change the spark plugs at 4 years if 60k miles haven't been reached and one is supposed to inspect, not replace, the drive belt. The drive belt gets changed at 60k miles. I think the tire goo canister needs to be replaced and the TPMS batteries also (this last I am not 100% sure). Seems like this 40k mile service is going to cost me a bit more than last year's.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:39 AM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
here is what my 20k service looked like:

Parts:

Oil - 9 quarts - $77.40
Oil Filter Insert - $29.00
Alum Seal Ring - $1.16
Oil Screw Plug - $8.69
Air Cleaner/Filter - $50.39
Cabin Filter - $106.93
Wiper Blades - $57.29
Remote Battery CR2032 -$9.72
Washer Fluid - $5.95
BG 44K - $28.95

Labor = $390.00

At no "charge" was the 27 point inspection.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
PorscheUSA is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryans4

Parts:

Oil - 9 quarts - $77.40
Alum Seal Ring - $1.16
Oil Screw Plug - $8.69
Cabin Filter - $106.93
Wiper Blades - $57.29
Washer Fluid - $5.95
BG 44K - $28.95

Labor = $390.00

What are "Alum Seal Ring" and "Oil Screw Plug"?

Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 PM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PorscheUSA
$800 does not even include the brake fluid change!

Wow, unbelievable
Hey, with the 15% off and free detail (err...carwash n armour all) coupons my stealership sends all the time, it might just be a good deal?! (NOT )

The stealerships are like Costco. With Costco, you will be hard pressed to get out without spending a few hundred and with the stealerships, the $995 for whatever ~k mile services are only the minimum charges and without fail, they always tack on another 1k before I can pick up the car. Its almosts as if the SAs (aka service sales/advisors) have minimum ticket $ totals to write.

The education started with our first p-car, a boxster s and continued until I found an independent shop that showed me how they pressure bleed the fluids and catches them into a soda bottle!!!

These P-cars are designed well and considerable amounts of engineering actually went into make servicing them easier!

Last edited by muifast; 09-28-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 AM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PorscheUSA
What are "Alum Seal Ring" and "Oil Screw Plug"?
The screw/plug and washer for the oil pan.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:11 AM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
I think I paid about half that amount at my local dealer.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:08 PM
xbar is infamous around these parts

Parts:

Oil - 9 quarts - $77.40
Alum Seal Ring - $1.16
Oil Screw Plug - $8.69
Cabin Filter - $106.93
Wiper Blades - $57.29
Washer Fluid - $5.95
BG 44K - $28.95

Labor = $390.00

Thanks for this info.

So I'm getting the feeling that most of you guys are against servicing the car at P dealers...
Anyone know of a good P mechanic/shop in the LA area?

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
ahklein is infamous around these parts
BG-44 I believe is an oil additive which Porsche specifically says should not be used.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
photogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nice
shop around for the best price, but when car is still under a warranty I service the car at a dealer. it is be more expensive for sure, but if it's only 2-3 hundred more it's not that much IMO. if you need to make a warranty claim it's good to have a dealer on your side. yes, I know the final decision is up to PCNA but having a dealer behind you cannot hurt

Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by ahklein
BG-44 I believe is an oil additive which Porsche specifically says should not be used.
BG-44 is fuel injector cleaner like Techron.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by steph280
You better get a car wash included for that price!

How I hate those stealers...

..and a knobber

Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by steph280
You better get a car wash included for that price!
Not sure I'd be comfortable letting my dealer wash my car. Last time I looked, they had some buckets of wash water they were using that looked like they hadn't changed it for the last couple of cars that came through.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:36 AM
farfinator is infamous around these parts
No doubt price gouging can exist. However having worked at a good number of reputable dealers and independents, I am compelled to defend some frequently misguided perceptions.

First, a PIWIS is an extremely expensive tool as is the training to use it. Discounting the expense incurred by the dealer or independent to provide you the diagnostic readout of trouble codes which could very well save you money by early recognition demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the value of that service. If you want "cheaper" service without the benefit of such technical excellence- jiffy lube offers such limited resources and respective technical talent.

Second, there is not a single sole who would not hold a repairer hostage for failure to bring defects to their attention, yet paying for the time to execute such a thorough inspection including a test drive again counts as a "zero" value offering. So, if that slight vibration at idle is not further examined after your "discount" oil change and your engine detonates due to a cam tensioner out of whack, you would be content in your choice of the discounted service and promise not to arrive stamping your foot in the service manager's office at their failure to bring it to your attention?

There is a reason these inspections exist. There is absolute value in having a trained professional equiped with the appropriate tools service your car.

Last edited by farfinator; 10-01-2009 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 AM
I agree with farfinator. While a $750 bill for essentially an inspection and oil / filters change is a bit harsh, this is not a Honda Civic. The reality is parts are expensive on this car and so is labor. Look at my parts list, the total was $375.48. Anyone who has worked on cars should know that book labor can often times be as much as the parts being worked on are. And again, you're not likely to find a Porsche service department with labor rates below $75/hour. So assume $100/hour labor (probably optimistic still) and it takes them 3 hours to swap oil and filters and do an inspection, well that's a $675 bill right there.

Look at suspension installs, they are likely thinking it will take 4 hours of actual labor, and I think most people pay around $400 - $800 for suspension installs. Time costs money.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 AM
photogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nice
I agree with farfinator. While a $750 bill for essentially an inspection and oil / filters change is a bit harsh, this is not a Honda Civic. The reality is parts are expensive on this car and so is labor. Look at my parts list, the total was $375.48. Anyone who has worked on cars should know that book labor can often times be as much as the parts being worked on are. And again, you're not likely to find a Porsche service department with labor rates below $75/hour. So assume $100/hour labor (probably optimistic still) and it takes them 3 hours to swap oil and filters and do an inspection, well that's a $675 bill right there.

Look at suspension installs, they are likely thinking it will take 4 hours of actual labor, and I think most people pay around $400 - $800 for suspension installs. Time costs money.
ditto, although you got great deal paying only $375 for the service

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2yr/20k mile service?