997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best way to drive up inclines/curbs to avoid scraping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fahrer
My driveway has mound at the end by the street to keep storm water from going down my driveway and into my yard. I can slowly drive forward out onto the street but I need to go backward from the street onto my driveway. Not so bad as this is my weekend car. I tried going at an angle to go forward onto my driveway from the street but no matter what, I would scrape ( ouch!)
Same here. Forward out at an angle, backwards in at an angle. To add to the scrapage is my driveway is also at an incline. So I need a bit of speed to clear the drainage ditch and the incline. Still getting used to my clutch, so while trying to feather it to get just enough (but not too much) speed, I stall going back in 3 out of 4 times

Old 10-26-2009, 03:11 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Old 10-26-2009, 03:17 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 997xpress
Funny thing, I bought these but they didn't work for my driveway as it as too steep. The design of them is beveled toward the edges such that I would need to double them up to make them work. I tried them upside down too.

-Steve

Last edited by ntlgnt1; 10-26-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
many times i find myself coming out of a commercial driveway at an angle facing the opposite direction to where i intend to go. meaning, if i'm turning left, i come out of the driveway at an angle facing right. this is not just to avoid scraping the lip but also to avoid getting called a jerk 'cos if i come out facing in the direction i intend to go, i'll hug the driveway. know whada mean?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
slow and angle, like 30*

Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
I had our office building redo the parking garage just for our beloved 997TT. That's how much I love it!

Hmm... maybe I should have ordered the lift kit and FVD system instead.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Update

I have learned to approach my driveway almost parallel to the street without damaging the rear wheels. The front doesn't scrape but now the front of the car creaks/groans a bit when I go up the ridge. This surprises me as I thought these cars were quite rigid. I do not abuse the car at all an am very careful not to expose my car to rough roads (only 2200 miles to date). The sound appears to be coming from the just forward of the windshield.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I hear mine groan too. I think it is the sunroof shifting on the gaskets. I hope Techart laid up a lot of material on the underside of the spoiler... No changing something like an aerokit front.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fahrer
Update

I have learned to approach my driveway almost parallel to the street without damaging the rear wheels. The front doesn't scrape but now the front of the car creaks/groans a bit when I go up the ridge. This surprises me as I thought these cars were quite rigid. I do not abuse the car at all an am very careful not to expose my car to rough roads (only 2200 miles to date). The sound appears to be coming from the just forward of the windshield.
I get the groans also. Got the groans with my 07 997S coupe and now my 08 coupe. I was surprised also because I got none of the groans/creaking sounds going in the same drive with any of my previous e46 M3s. Mine makes sounds you would expect form a cabriolet, not a coupe.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Izwar is infamous around these parts
lol yea its inevetiable get a high quality polyeurathane bumper so at least it wont crack just scratch. fiber glass forget about it

Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
I hear mine groan too. I think it is the sunroof shifting on the gaskets. I hope Techart laid up a lot of material on the underside of the spoiler... No changing something like an aerokit front.
I get the same thing. Pretty sure it's the sunroof as well. I have opened the sunroof and gone over inclines at an angle and have not heard the noise.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:08 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by speedoflight
many times i find myself coming out of a commercial driveway at an angle facing the opposite direction to where i intend to go. meaning, if i'm turning left, i come out of the driveway at an angle facing right. this is not just to avoid scraping the lip but also to avoid getting called a jerk 'cos if i come out facing in the direction i intend to go, i'll hug the driveway. know whada mean?

I do the exact same thing. People must think we are unsure which direction we want to go

Old 06-03-2010, 11:51 PM
dchou1107 is infamous around these parts
what kind of ramps does everyone have. I am having some serious issues. I figured out how to get my car on the driveway with the curb ramps made out of recycled tires. So now going up is no problem. Backing out is another issue because the incline is so steep that i scrape pretty hard coming back. Might have to look into the KW HLS but I figured that since I am half way there where I can get my car up, there has to be a way to get it back down without scraping

Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spudz5
What is the best technique to avoid scraping your front lip ( have a gt3 front) when entering or leaving inclines/declines. On certain entrances to garages i seem to always scrape. From what I understand the best way is to take the approach at a 45 degree angle slowly.
Sideways at an oblique angle.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:55 PM
bj545i is infamous around these parts
I've got a C4S with GT3 front bumper/lip and it scrapes like a B****.The car is Guards Red and the lip primer is white,so the scrapes stand out like bleached A4 paper!
Does anyone know of a black PU Rim type lip that could be fitted instead of the O.E?
At least if it was a flexible,black manufactured lip it wouldn't look sooo bad...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best way to drive up inclines/curbs to avoid scraping?