997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best way to drive up inclines/curbs to avoid scraping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 AM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
Best way to drive up inclines/curbs to avoid scraping?

What is the best technique to avoid scraping your front lip ( have a gt3 front) when entering or leaving inclines/declines. On certain entrances to garages i seem to always scrape. From what I understand the best way is to take the approach at a 45 degree angle slowly.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
My driveway has mound at the end by the street to keep storm water from going down my driveway and into my yard. I can slowly drive forward out onto the street but I need to go backward from the street onto my driveway. Not so bad as this is my weekend car. I tried going at an angle to go forward onto my driveway from the street but no matter what, I would scrape ( ouch!)

Old 09-24-2009, 11:59 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spudz5
What is the best technique to avoid scraping your front lip ( have a gt3 front) when entering or leaving inclines/declines. On certain entrances to garages i seem to always scrape. From what I understand the best way is to take the approach at a 45 degree angle slowly.
Best way is to pay $3-4k and get hydraulic system installed under your front springs to get your front lifted in such cases - it can raise it up to 45mm or so.

Not other solution really. I cannot drive my kid to his school because of same problem now and my car is not even lowered, stock front bumper.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Take as big of an angle as you can.

However, sometimes it cannot be avoided and that is why I consider my front lip an expendable.

I used to live in a place with such a steep driveway that it was impossible not scrape and I built ramps.

Jason

Old 09-24-2009, 12:25 PM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
Approaching a ramp/dip/speedbump at greater than 45 degrees will allow you the most clearance. Some entrances just aren't wide enough to allow this degree of angle. That's when I park elsewhere.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I had to build wooden ramps to get into my driveway. But first I spent $200 on rubber ramps that didn't work .

The City wants $8K to redo the driveway and approach to code so $40 wooden ramps for me.

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2009, 01:29 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
45 is good but I try to get as tangental (tangential?) as possible.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Tattoo is infamous around these parts
I started out in the custom scene 20 years ago when lowrider trucks were in style, and the 45 degree approach is what everyone did at that time. Since that time, however, I have seen the driveways with the newer style drainage configuration, and these are difficult to navigate even at 45 degrees. To me, the only choices are some kind or hydraulic/airbag assistance or just park somewhere else. The roads were made to accommodate average cars, not exotics, so we have to do the best with what we've got.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Yeah the trick is to go in slow, go almost tangential to the curb, and once you are able to get one wheel on the curb, turn it to full lock and bring the rest of your nose in. I've gotten my friend's car (less than 2" off the ground) up an almost 45 degree incline curb before.... after scrapping and bashing it twice practicing

Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 PM
DW997s is a jewel in the roughDW997s is a jewel in the roughDW997s is a jewel in the rough
try to get 1 wheel on the incline first. this will raise the bumper and make the climb smoother.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The 997S is easy compared to a lowered Turbo . Beyond the 45 degree angle it also helps to avoid an incline entrance in favor on another entrance sometimes. If all else fails there is a Cargraphic car lift . I am not sure if it can be fitted to a 997S but it might .

Old 09-25-2009, 01:09 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
angle.. never seen an angle i couldnt climb.. have an elise thats about 2" from the ground up front and gone up some steep inclines... just takes patience and the right angle.. the first wheel lifts enough for the second and then the 2 lift the rear.. all works out in the wash.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:30 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
I keep one of these rolled up in the back seat. It works great

Old 09-25-2009, 05:34 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The 997S is easy compared to a lowered Turbo . Beyond the 45 degree angle it also helps to avoid an incline entrance in favor on another entrance sometimes. If all else fails there is a Cargraphic car lift . I am not sure if it can be fitted to a 997S but it might .
I wonder - does anybody sell this HLS system from this kit

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/k...5-p-55224.html

separately? I actually may even consider buying this thing if my level of annoyance will finally exceed threshold of $5K, so far there are 2 regular spots where I used to go and now cannot get in 911, if number of this places will increase up to the dozen - then I`ll get this HLS.
It is just confusing a bit as they state - it lifts from 30 to 45 mm? Not sure I understand how lift amount can differ by 15mm.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
I can definitely speak to this. Slow, angled is the way to do it. My driveway, if I try to do this as a right hand turn, I will scrap, I have to circle my street so I can come into the driveway as a left hand turn. Same thing with backing out of the driveway, I have to back out to the left.

Once you get up the driveway or incline a bit, turn steering wheel almost to the locked position as you slowly move up the incline.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best way to drive up inclines/curbs to avoid scraping?