997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Gt3 still lingers -questions .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:36 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
So, I've got to ask it, what about the GF?

I could hardly imagine using a GT3 as a DD. Unless you had your own personal parking place with a rope where you go to work. Perhaps you do. One of the things about my car that bugs me is worring about dings, chips, etc. even though I DD it. On the other hand, I don't care, because I'm going to DRIVE IT! If you didn't have the TT, then the GT3 would be awesome. They both seem that they would fit the same niche in the garage though.
Just read Sportauto magazine. They tested a 2010 TT at 0-100 kph in 3.1 sec. Holy crap! Dare I say, I don't think your modded TT will touch that. Simply amazing.
I would still get the GT3. It's incredible too. Incredibly dynamic. Like a race car for the street. No need to mod anything. Yet the TT is a perfectly streetable DD, that doesn't say "arrest me" the moment you light up the turbos. Decisions, decisions...

Old 09-26-2009, 02:47 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Just read Sportauto magazine. They tested a 2010 TT at 0-100 kph in 3.1 sec. Holy crap! Dare I say, I don't think your modded TT will touch that. Simply amazing.
I also saw that in Panorama. Great car, seems to be. Would be great item to hunt for in 5 years or so, when (if) its price will come down at least 50%.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:57 PM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
Everyone has their own take on what initially motivated them to purchase such a wonderful car. A big portion of my decision was definately in the aesthetic realm, and secondly, the performance aspect.

Regardless what motivation rules the purchase, isn't it worth following through to relieve this particular desire?

Only then will you be content (that is,until the next big thing).

Cheers.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Larry,

Don't listen to us, just go with what your heart tells you.

I'm on waitlist for a 997.2GT3RS. I know I can never drive close to 100% of its capability, I don't care if it is comfortable at all for street use as I will always have other cars, I care a little about bragging rights as I hang out with Ed (NorthVanc).

The only reason for me to get one is because I WANT ONE. There is absolutely no logic to come up to this decision and I don't care about it.

Happy Motoring!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:52 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
So, I've got to ask it, what about the GF?

I could hardly imagine using a GT3 as a DD. Unless you had your own personal parking place with a rope where you go to work. Perhaps you do. One of the things about my car that bugs me is worring about dings, chips, etc. even though I DD it. On the other hand, I don't care, because I'm going to DRIVE IT! If you didn't have the TT, then the GT3 would be awesome. They both seem that they would fit the same niche in the garage though.
I would still get the GT3. It's incredible too. Incredibly dynamic. Like a race car for the street. No need to mod anything. Yet the TT is a perfectly streetable DD, that doesn't say "arrest me" the moment you light up the turbos. Decisions, decisions...
My current Turbo will slam dunk the 2010 stock car . 700+Hp with no cats exhaust is so massive that a little plastic women's hair clip can break against the seat at launch. Gf won't even film the car. Too nervous once we went beyond 600 Hp.

Plus the Evomsit software and modified turbos pull so hard and don't let off (even in higher gears). A rolling start against a current Turbo pins it so far behind one would think its a different car.
A Gtr with a two car head start plus momentum can be caught. Even a launch agaist a stock GtR where the computerized transmission has every advantage leaps the Turbo a car length ahead in 1st gear . Even a stock Gt2 is smeared .
It took 19 months and almost 85K worth of mods to accomplish this work of art garage queen supercar.

Gf is excited about any of these cars . She drives both the M3 and PDK car but since the Turbo has no power assist to a stage 4 clutch it's tricky --even for many seasoned manual drivers . Like myself she weighs all the cost and logical issues but ultimately she encourages my hobbies like swimming and cars and the time it takes as well the cost are just part of the experience.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:05 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Currently at a stalemate on the Gt3 . I made an offer . I also talked about the car in detail . As much as they would like to sell me a car they are also my friends too and much like anyone who cares they pointed out the logical aspects of whether its really worth it to make the change. My current car has 17K worth of mods bringing it to near Gt3 Hp and it also has damptronic suspension making it firmly planted. With PDK it has another advantange .

It's getting paddles and awaiting some new software from FVD and with the Ecu out the car can't be appraised until its completed late this coming week.

They didn't say no or yes.
I didn't say no or yes .

We shook hands and said "let's wait and see " .

My number is the only number I will offer . They feel its close and maybe even doable but until the car is appraised none of us will know and even when we all find out we all feel the same .. is it worth doing ? Hence the titles and questions on the thread .

Old 09-26-2009, 10:30 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Have you eliminated the GT3RS from the running?

Considering the current turbo that you have, would you be happy with the GT3 or would you wonder how much better the RS would have been?

It so easy spending other peoples money sometimes.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by PT Doc
Have you eliminated the GT3RS from the running?

Considering the current turbo that you have, would you be happy with the GT3 or would you wonder how much better the RS would have been?

It so easy spending other peoples money sometimes.
Gotta draw a cost line somewhere . The Gt3 would be a stretch.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Larry,

Don't listen to us, just go with what your heart tells you.

I'm on waitlist for a 997.2GT3RS. I know I can never drive close to 100% of its capability, I don't care if it is comfortable at all for street use as I will always have other cars, I care a little about bragging rights as I hang out with Ed (NorthVanc).

The only reason for me to get one is because I WANT ONE. There is absolutely no logic to come up to this decision and I don't care about it.

Happy Motoring!
Yep . I hear ya .
Yet on the Gt3 forum I read post number 8. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...fications.html

I suppose if I look at the 911 line up and factor in street use I already have it.

So why does this linger?
That's where your statement applies .
It makes no sense .. yet it makes perfect sense .

Old 09-27-2009, 02:47 AM
nine11 is infamous around these parts
The GT3 issue brings out the demons in us all. You can't run from the though. When I looked at buying mine. I bounced between Turbo or C4S (X51). Personal preference here, don't want to open up that debate, I like the sound and response of NA. GT3 wasn't an option because at the time they were between models. I wanted back seats for the kids (it's not my DD but they like ride with Dad every now and again). I made the best choice for me, however what about the GT3? I am totally obsessed now, it has got worse seeing that Sharkwerks 500Hp. (videos please!) I won't be selling the C4S, it's so sweet but vowed on my 50th (5 years on). There will be a Cup car or GT3 bad boy in the garage. I've got some time to research.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:30 AM
Originally Posted by nine11
The GT3 issue brings out the demons in us all. You can't run from the though. When I looked at buying mine. I bounced between Turbo or C4S (X51). Personal preference here, don't want to open up that debate, I like the sound and response of NA. GT3 wasn't an option because at the time they were between models. I wanted back seats for the kids (it's not my DD but they like ride with Dad every now and again). I made the best choice for me, however what about the GT3? I am totally obsessed now, it has got worse seeing that Sharkwerks 500Hp. (videos please!) I won't be selling the C4S, it's so sweet but vowed on my 50th (5 years on). There will be a Cup car or GT3 bad boy in the garage. I've got some time to research.
The gt3 cup car has only one seat.

I saw one in my local dealership . I believe the doors are made out of carbon fiber . This is not a daily driver . The N/A vs Turbo debate begins with throttle response but ends in in the rear view mirror of a Turbo .

Even a Turbo's run ends in the rear view mirror of highly modified Turbos .
The essense of the modified Turbo is lodged in the remnants of my childhood car dreams of the having fastest -- before I even learned how to drive.

With age came maturity, sophistication and some diversification . Hence the Gt3 . But is it really practical or as one person wrote (paraphrasing) "just a bumpier and noisier 911" on the street ?

That's what i need to find out .

Thus the stalemate .
If I keep the PDK - the gt3 lingers .
If I buy the Gt3 - cost + gt3 + street = impractical

Above it all though is my Turbo . Hands down even after two years I would pick it over every car i have ever dreamt of . It's that special .. even still . The PDK or the Gt3 .. they are the toys -- but the modded Turbo is the long term keeper . The one where every mile is preserved in my memory . The car which I have waited for my entire life .

Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Just to let you know there is a gorgeous black on black 2010 GT3 sitting on the showroom floor at Jack Daniels in Paramus NJ. It is pretty much a base GT3 and they're asking list but I bet that's negotiable since it's been sitting there for a month. Just goes to show how hard Wall Street has (and North Jersey) been hit if you can't sell that beauty.

As far as driving a GT3, most of the really exciting action of a GT3 happens at the high end of the revs - the sound, fury and excitement. Puttering around in one on the streets may leave you thinking that you're in a Carrera S with a stiff clutch and less sound deadening. So it depends why you want the car - as an example of a rare wonderful treat or as a DD. If it's the former, I understand your desire completely; if its the latter (never to see a track but as a DD), the C2S you already have is a better choice. But if you're a 911 collector, go for it.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:18 AM
nine11 is infamous around these parts
Sounds to me you have found your Nirvana already, wouldn't worry about the GT3.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:27 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Must be awesome. THey ran a supercar test and also tested the Ruf Rt 12S and the Techart GTstreet RS. Both have 700 hp. They were 0-100 in 3.6 and 3.7 sec, respectively. THe 2010 TT with PDK and launch control apparently can leave the line like a rocket ship - absolutely perfectly hooked up. THe difference between those times and 3.1 sec. is absolutely huge. With 500 hp, it will give up something on the top end of course, but off the line acceleration with launch control sounds pretty close to perfection. This is how technology and fasted lap times are not necessarily won with the most HP. 2010 TT 0-200 kph - 10.8 sec., Koenigsegg CCX-R 9.8 sec. Bit of a tough contest the CCX has 800 hp...

Originally Posted by yrralis1
My current Turbo will slam dunk the 2010 stock car . 700+Hp with no cats exhaust is so massive that a little plastic women's hair clip can break against the seat at launch. Gf won't even film the car. Too nervous once we went beyond 600 Hp.

Plus the Evomsit software and modified turbos pull so hard and don't let off (even in higher gears). A rolling start against a current Turbo pins it so far behind one would think its a different car.
A Gtr with a two car head start plus momentum can be caught. Even a launch agaist a stock GtR where the computerized transmission has every advantage leaps the Turbo a car length ahead in 1st gear . Even a stock Gt2 is smeared .
It took 19 months and almost 85K worth of mods to accomplish this work of art garage queen supercar.

Gf is excited about any of these cars . She drives both the M3 and PDK car but since the Turbo has no power assist to a stage 4 clutch it's tricky --even for many seasoned manual drivers . Like myself she weighs all the cost and logical issues but ultimately she encourages my hobbies like swimming and cars and the time it takes as well the cost are just part of the experience.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:25 PM
PorscheUSA is infamous around these parts
Hi Larry,

You helped me so much in my price analysis and final purchase of my 05 997S that I will chime in with a financial point of view on this topic of GT3 vs. C2S.

The same thought also crossed my mind (very briefly) when I was searching for my first Porsche. I started with Cayman S or 911S. After I settled on looking for 911S with initial budget of $50-60K and at one point when many 06 and 07 911S were asking $65-70+s, the question of why not just go for GT3 very briefly crossed my mind. I view GT3 as the pinnacle, the purest Porsche. In my mind, once you own a GT3, there would be no reason to covet other versions of 911 (I now think 911 Turbo may be a different animal all together; funny how your views can change). For me, GT3 is like a personal record awaiting to be broken sometimes in the future. The issue of whether it would be suitable as a daily driver was not a big concern because I think most will gladly put up with any shortcomings given its many virtues (real and psychologic/emotional).

The biggest deciding factor for me was money! My opinion from your position is as follows:

1. Let's say it will cost $30K more for you to trade in your C2S for the GT3 that you are interested. If that amount ($30K) is insignificant to your financial state, then buy the GT3. It's what you have not experienced and for "minimal" extra cost (this is very relative depending on personal wealth), why not try something new.

2. If the extra cost ($30K in my example) is not insignificant to you AND you have no plans to track the car, why spend the extra money if you are not going to enjoy the GT3 fully. This to me is not that much different than a previous owner who buys a C2S, but never drives it.

To summarize, let's say GT3 gives you 25% of more fun on the street over your PDK and 50% more fun on the track, but will cost you $30K more. The question: Is only a little more fun worth $30K to you?

View from a newbie who just turned down many GT3 listings

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Gt3 still lingers -questions .