997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Gt3 still lingers -questions .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:23 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
This is a "I have the money and I want to do it" thing - there's no sense to it - you just bought a car - a "additional" Porsche. You'll take a wicked hit on it, there's no way around that - especially with the mods.

And I don't know what you gain really. Maybe it is best to "live" with the new car a while and sort out what it really is first. Go on a few more dates before you dump her. Take her on a vacation or two and see if you really get along or if there is no future together.

Seriously, read your post and pretend someone else is asking your advice, and give them your typical well considered response. What would that be? If you can do that objectively, which may be difficult or impossible, then follow that advice that has been so helpful to others.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:47 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
My current Turbo will slam dunk the 2010 stock car . 700+Hp with no cats exhaust is so massive
No cats? Isn't that... illegal? Does it even pass smog test?

Last edited by adias; 09-27-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:23 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by adias
No cats? Isn't that... illegal? Does it even pass smog test?
No emissions test in Florida... or any other vehicle inspection for that matter....

Old 09-27-2009, 03:26 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
If money was not a consideration, a GT3 would be my only choice if the alternative was a PDK C2S; not saying that a PDK Carrera is not a great car.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:52 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by yrralis1
My current Turbo will slam dunk the 2010 stock car . 700+Hp with no cats exhaust is so massive that a little plastic women's hair clip can break against the seat at launch. Gf won't even film the car. Too nervous once we went beyond 600 Hp.

Plus the Evomsit software and modified turbos pull so hard and don't let off (even in higher gears). A rolling start against a current Turbo pins it so far behind one would think its a different car.
A Gtr with a two car head start plus momentum can be caught. Even a launch agaist a stock GtR where the computerized transmission has every advantage leaps the Turbo a car length ahead in 1st gear . Even a stock Gt2 is smeared .
It took 19 months and almost 85K worth of mods to accomplish this work of art garage queen supercar.

Gf is excited about any of these cars . She drives both the M3 and PDK car but since the Turbo has no power assist to a stage 4 clutch it's tricky --even for many seasoned manual drivers . Like myself she weighs all the cost and logical issues but ultimately she encourages my hobbies like swimming and cars and the time it takes as well the cost are just part of the experience.

I have no doubt that your modded 700 hp turbo is a slam dunk against a 2010 turbo, however, no matter how fast your car is, I find it unlikely that it will match the 2010 turbo w/PDK from the dig to 60. PDK being the operative letters; the computer linked launch system is simply superior to any human as you can now attest. After 60, at some point, yours will undoubtedly conquer and crush the 2010.

Last edited by 911dev; 09-27-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:07 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911dev
I have no doubt that your modded 700 hp turbo is a slam dunk against a 2010 turbo, however, no matter how fast your car is, I find it unlikely that it will match the 2010 turbo w/PDK from the dig to 60. PDK being the operative letters; the computer linked launch system is simply superior to any human as you can now attest. After 60, at some point, yours will undoubtedly conquer and crush the 2010.
That was my point too. At 3.1 sec. to 64 mph, that is unbelievably quick. Of course that 2010 turbo ain't gonna be cheap. The GT3 is quite a bit cheaper. I wonder if the time is actually in the 2's to 60 mph???

Old 09-27-2009, 05:12 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Those are some polite fightin' words.

Sounds like we could have a great little gentleman's wager here, eh?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:06 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by avmike
No emissions test in Florida... or any other vehicle inspection for that matter....
I have not been there in a while... How's the air quality out there?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
That was my point too. At 3.1 sec. to 64 mph, that is unbelievably quick. Of course that 2010 turbo ain't gonna be cheap. The GT3 is quite a bit cheaper. I wonder if the time is actually in the 2's to 60 mph???

Yeah, I know! I built a 2010 turbo for fun and it was $154k. I optioned torque vectoring, Sport Chrono, CL Wheels, PDK and a few other bits, nothing really crazy.

My ordered GT3 is $122k.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I know! I built a 2010 turbo for fun and it was $154k. I optioned torque vectoring, Sport Chrono, CL Wheels, PDK and a few other bits, nothing really crazy.

My ordered GT3 is $122k.

The Turbo and the GT3 are totally different cars. We all know the tech diffs, but as far as driver feel... one is as sledgehammer and the other a scalpel.

Of course people amass all kinds of cars and for the most part never learn them properly. Driving a Turbo properly requires different skills from driving a GT3 properly. Most dual car owners drive neither properly.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by adias
The Turbo and the GT3 are totally different cars. We all know the tech diffs, but as far as driver feel... one is as sledgehammer and the other a scalpel.

Of course people amass all kinds of cars and for the most part never learn them properly. Driving a Turbo properly requires different skills from driving a GT3 properly. Most dual car owners drive neither properly.

Yes they are different animals. I was merely quoting the price disparity.

Maybe someday I'll be able to afford both ends of the spectrum although I don't know how I will live with myself knowing I may never learn to master each. I guess I'd have to try.

Last edited by 911dev; 09-27-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by avmike
Correct. this topic also has been discussed in detail on the 997tt forum as well.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:58 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
If 1st gear hits the rev limiter it won't. PDK will factor out human error .. but step for step the stock Turbos really are no match for the Evoms . It's a more linear seamless pull . Whether the DFI cuts lag is to be seen . One thing I notice on the normally aspirated car is how immediate the response is . Even though the Gt3 has more Hp I am not sure if it can respond as quickly. Not that it wold matter . But just to give an idea look at this video at 10 seconds where the DFI car just rips away from a stock 996tt which is well known for its lag. www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5BVmaU-Vvo

Before I go . The reason why I feel the Turbo is the keeper is look at how far the tuners have come even with a 996tt . The more time they have the better the car can get . The normally aspirated cars fiund limits a lit quicker when it comes to customizations and revisions . As much as I love the PDK or the Gt3 .. they will both grow old . But the Turbo will have its dated features but can improve and grow as long as the tuners pusj the envelope . You can see this even on the 996tt and 993tt forums . These cars get faster with age.

Go Turbo go !!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0P6VDQ1YDs

Old 09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by stevepow

Seriously, read your post and pretend someone else is asking your advice, and give them your typical well considered response. What would that be? If you can do that objectively, which may be difficult or impossible, then follow that advice that has been so helpful to others.

Good luck.
I know what I would say. I would tell him not to drive even one more mile on the car he has if he's in love with another car .

I simply don't know which to pick . So that creates a momentary pause . A stalemate . Even though my local dealership does not have the car yet I may have to drive to one who does to look at gt3 more closely and see .

Old 09-27-2009, 09:24 PM

My ordered GT3 is $122k.
I've seen some highly optioned Turbos on the 997tt forum that break 150K stock using 07 prices. I did not do that with mine at first but when the mods came and the car began its stages of development .. each stage brought growth . With that growth came expense but this hobby opened up so much creativity and provided a lifetime memory .

I don't post much about my Turbo anymore . It's completed for now and im am moving forward adding to it . Either its sticking with this PDK or going the route of the Gt3 .

But I will never forget the past . I look at these threads and they still make me smile . These were the glory days of modding for me.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rformance.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ul-engine.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Gt3 still lingers -questions .